Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite all time series? and why?
Star Trek : The Original Series TOS 30 34.09%
Star Trek : The Next generation TNG 20 22.73%
Star Trek : Deep Space Nine DS9 37 42.05%
Star Trek : Voyager VOY 5 5.68%
Star Trek Enterprise Ent 6 6.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 29 2012, 09:36 PM   #31
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: What is your favorite series and why?

BillJ wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

I'm at a point where I can't pick complete series for slots two thru five anymore. I have to pick season(s) because the shows changed dramatically through the years they were on...

2. The Next Generation seasons one and two
3. Enterprise season four
4. Voyager season two
5. Deep Space Nine seasons three and four.
Yes, that's an extremely good point - certain seasons from shows lower on my list may very well best those from higher ranked iterations. I guess I just attempted to come up with an aggregate to produce an overall list.
I understand, I'm just getting nitpicky in my old age!
I don't know if it's been done, but a poll of all 30 seasons with the option to give a mark on, say, a ten scale, would be great. Then an overall aggregate would provide a definitive BBS "decison" on the favourite show! I'm not sure if this can actually be implemented here though?
Old December 29 2012, 10:29 PM   #32
BruntFCA
Commander

1-DS9
2-TNG
3-ENT
4-TOS-I don't like Shatner at all
5-VOY
Old December 29 2012, 11:41 PM   #33
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
No need to interrogate the man on his personal likes and dislikes. You'll find the arguments rather circular given they're based on respective opinions.
I'll answer his questions as best as I can.

Practically every episode has a love interest for Captain Kirk. Usually it's the random alien women he meets.

Then there's other characterizations that are basically caricatures, like Chekov, and Scotty.

It seems also that every episode had to have a hand to hand fist fight with Kirk and a baddie, with that famous fight music behind them trumpeting along.

And a lot of the episode were just pure 60's cornball, like finding a planet full of mobsters, or a planet exactly like Earth but with children.

None of this is meant to put down the show BTW. I like it, and will enjoy the good stuff in it, even if "formulaic" stuff gets grating.

I won't, however, specifically put in an episode of TOS on my TV to watch. I will do this with my favorite TNG episodes though.
Old December 30 2012, 12:00 AM   #34
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Practically every episode has a love interest for Captain Kirk. Usually it's the random alien women he meets.

Then there's other characterizations that are basically caricatures, like Chekov, and Scotty.

It seems also that every episode had to have a hand to hand fist fight with Kirk and a baddie, with that famous fight music behind them trumpeting along.

And a lot of the episode were just pure 60's cornball, like finding a planet full of mobsters, or a planet exactly like Earth but with children.
That seems to be the general idea of what TOS is (and the idea the new film remake is built on), but if you actually watch all 79 episodes, it turns out this isn't the case at all. Except for the cornball. I personally can't watch one episode of the show without cringing. But that's just because the 60s science fiction really isn't my thing.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 12:25 AM   #35
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Star Grinch wrote: View Post
No need to interrogate the man on his personal likes and dislikes. You'll find the arguments rather circular given they're based on respective opinions.
I'll answer his questions as best as I can.

None of this is meant to put down the show BTW. I like it, and will enjoy the good stuff in it, even if "formulaic" stuff gets grating.

I won't, however, specifically put in an episode of TOS on my TV to watch. I will do this with my favorite TNG episodes though.
Welcome to the 1960s.

Kirk was the romantic lead, of course he will meet and fall in love with women. Though, just glancing through Season One there are very few episodes where Kirk actually falls in love. Most of the time he was using his charms to attain a goal. Other times there's no "love interest" at all. I'd say COTEOF was the first time he fell in love. And that was with a human. Kirk's reputation as a lothario bagging alien women is exaggerated.

Didn't people on the other shows meet guest stars and fall love too? I recall Picard, Riker, Crusher and LaForge having one off romances.

At least Chekov and Scotty had that to play with. Think about the non entities like LaForge, Kim or Mayweather. I think Scotty was more than a caricature. He does more than get drunk and play the pipes.

Yeah it was an action adventure show, so there were fights. They did those on the other shows too. Did they use the classic fight theme for every fight? I don't recall that they did.

Your definition of "cornball" is odd. The mobsters were a result of cultural contamination. The children were actually hundreds of years old and the result of biological warfare.

The modern day shows simply shifted those type of plots to the holodeck. Where more often than not, something would go wrong.
Old December 30 2012, 07:13 AM   #36
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

TOS, TNG and DS9 are 3 of the best television series ever aired. Right now I'd class DS9 as my favourite. The one Trek series that fully seized it's potential. Excellent science-fiction and character drama.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 02:04 PM   #37
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

Since we all like to make lists:

1. TNG: best written series, likeable cast all around.
2. TOS: at the time it was brilliant, and some episodes still shine on to this day.
3. DS9(action): pew-pew!
4. ENT: had potential, but got cut short right when it was building up; best pilot ep of all; definetely grows on you.
5. VOY: inconsistent, cheesy, premise doesn't really work, most characters are either bland (Kim, Janeway) or annoying (Neelix, Kes, Chakotay, B'elana, Paris)... you know you've got a problem when the most interesting character is the emotionless Vulcan.
Very few stand-out episodes.
6. DS9(religious propaganda): as terrible as "7th heaven" at times, and that's saying a lot.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 02:39 PM   #38
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The original Star Trek is the only series I still enjoy without reservations. I think it stands the test of time much better than all the other series, is much more dynamic and imaginative and isn't bogged down by byzantine continuity and hackneyed storytelling conventions.

Deep Space 9 had a lot going for it, including a terrific cast and, from time to time, truly ambitious writing, but as I grow older I can't take it as seriously as I used to.

There are some nuggets of brilliance to be found in Enterprise, but they are few and far between.

I always hated Voyager and I can't watch The Next Generation anymore.
Old December 30 2012, 04:21 PM   #39
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

DS9, simply because it was epic
Old December 30 2012, 05:30 PM   #40
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

TOS. If for no other reason, none of the rest of it would have existed without it. It has a great blen of characters and storytelling. Doesn't get bogged down in a lot of the inertia of much of the later series.

DSN is a very close second for me. I think that it, especially in the later seasons, came closest of any of the other post-TOS Trek series to capturing the spirit of TOS.
Old December 30 2012, 06:29 PM   #41
Brolan
Commodore

TOS. Kirk, Spock, and Bones. What else is there to say?
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 03:32 AM   #42
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Brolan wrote: View Post
TOS. Kirk, Spock, and Bones. What else is there to say?
Scotty.
Old January 2 2013, 12:48 AM   #43
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

TNG

It's the stuff of my childhood, so I can't see it with anything but a rose-tinted VISOR. Lotta good memories of bonding with my pops over Next Gen episodes. As an adult, it's sort of a comfort food to me. The mac n' cheese of television, if you will.
Old January 2 2013, 12:56 AM   #44
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I grew up on TOS, so it will be always be STAR TREK to me.
Agree, TOS.

My boyhood in the '70s was enhanced by TOS in reruns weekdays, TAS first-run on Saturday mornings and ultimately TMP on December 7, 1979.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2013, 01:04 AM   #45
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hanukkah Jitty wrote: View Post
TNG

It's the stuff of my childhood, so I can't see it with anything but a rose-tinted VISOR. Lotta good memories of bonding with my pops over Next Gen episodes. As an adult, it's sort of a comfort food to me. The mac n' cheese of television, if you will.
I can see that. That's how I feel about TOS. My dad introduced me to the show way back in the sixties. I still remember watching "Arena" and "The Mantrap" and the rest with him . . . .