Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old December 30 2012, 02:10 AM   #16
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

Re: I miss Star Trek.

One day Star Trek will be back on our screens. No longer as a mediocre series of lens flare effects and action scenes but as the Trek we all know and love.

YOU CANNOT DESTROY AN IDEA!

IT'S REEEEEAL!
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 03:35 AM   #17
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The movies are awesome but it's not the same has having a thing to consistently look forward to week to week. I'll definitely keep an eye on that Star Trek: Renegades idea.

Though I'm not holding my breath to see another TV series. Or if we did, I would hope it has either a totally new creative staff or a return of Ron Moore.

I quit Enterprise near the beginning of season 3. The last straw I think was when Trip's 'vulcan erotic headache massage' turned into a makeout session. Maybe I should give those last two seasons a second chance.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 03:54 AM   #18
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

You should. Season 3 is one long story arc with minimal interruptions and Season 4 has many double and triple episodes. The whole tone is ramped up. You will probably find stuff to dislike in those seasons but really, that can be said of any Trek season.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:25 AM   #19
exodus
Fleet Admiral

There are so many other good shows on TV now: Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, Supernatural, Being Human, etc. that I don't miss Trek, at least not anymore.
Old December 30 2012, 04:27 AM   #20
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

exodus wrote: View Post
There are so many other good shows on TV now: Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, Mad Men, Supernatural, Being Human, etc. that I don't miss Trek, at least not anymore.
Yeah, but all great TV shows on right now have 13 episode runs and gaps of more than a year. Like what Breaking Bad is pulling, having two short seasons with a gap of a year and pretending it's a single season, same thing Sopranos pulled in its last season.

They are great TV, but it's not the same as having a show on a full network schedule to be excited about.

And few other TV universes have the same richness of mythology Star Trek had. Not as easy to get lost in.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:33 AM   #21
teacake
Admiral

More SPACE shows, more more!!

Enough with the gangsters and ghosts.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 30 2012, 04:34 AM   #22
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
Yeah, but all great TV shows on right now have 13 episode runs and gaps of more than a year. Like what Breaking Bad is pulling, having two short seasons with a gap of a year and pretending it's a single season, same thing Sopranos pulled in its last season.

They are great TV, but it's not the same as having a show on a full network schedule to be excited about.
Have you tried ONCE UPON A TIME? That's a full twenty-two episodes a season. And my girlfriend and I have really been enjoying it. (We're doing a rewatch of Season One right now.)

Plus, even with the shorter cable shows, there's so much to watch these days that it's hard to keep up even with just the genre entries. (I'm way behind on VAMPIRE DIARIES and THE LAST RESORT already, and we're about get new waves of MERLIN and BEING HUMAN and LOST GIRL and FACE/OFF. . .)
Old December 30 2012, 04:40 AM   #23
The Overlord
Captain

I think a new Star Trek show will have to avoid some the pitfalls Voyager fell into, boring characters (Harry Kim, Chakotay), cliched stories and bad continuity, in order to succeed.

Star Trek was in a rut in the late 90s to early 2000s, they have to get a different play book to work in today's TV landscape.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:45 AM   #24
teacake
Admiral

I want to see real relationships and sex. And WIT.

We all pat ourselves on the back over how witty bits of Trek are. The EMH, Garak's little ripostes.. but compared to 99% of current TV it's a very sad outing in the wit department. Sharper writing is needed.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 30 2012, 05:08 AM   #25
exodus
Fleet Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post

That doesn't bother me, especially on AMC because when one show is ending it's season another good one is starting up. Sometimes I've found 26 to 28 eps a season for Trek is too much cause there isn't enough creative imagination for episode topics to carry on for long. TNG, DS9 & Voy seemed to be reaching for story topics by s6 or 7 because they used it all up doing 28 eps a season. IMO DS9 would have never had to introduce Vic or Ezri in order to create topics to stretch the seasons out.
Old December 30 2012, 08:20 AM   #26
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
but compared to 99% of current TV it's a very sad outing in the wit department. Sharper writing is needed.
Seriously? 99% of current TV is witty?

I'd say even the worst of Voyager, Enterprise or TNG S1 is better written than the majority of modern television.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 08:38 AM   #27
teacake
Admiral

Okay I should have said "current good tv" of which there is an abundance. I don't actually get tv so I'm only watching stuff that has been filtered out by you, my friends, on the internet.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 30 2012, 01:52 PM   #28
Lynx
Rear Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Read Kirsten Beyer's Voyager novels. Full Circle, Unworthy, Children of the Storm and The Eternal Tide are all excellent.

Also, watch the new Trek movie in 139 days.
Although I do find Beyer a good writer when it comes to stories and I really appreciate that she brought back Janeway, I must admit that I'm not so happy with the scenario in the Voyager books. There are.....too many positive factors missing compared with the first 15 books.

And I'm not that fond of the scenario in the Abramsmovies either.

What I would like to see is a new series with new characters set in the 24th century.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 02:24 PM   #29
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Lynx wrote: View Post
What I would like to see is a new series with new characters set in the 24th century.
I think it's very unlikely that we're ever going to see the adventures of Captain Whatsisname of the Federation Starship USS Continuity boldly going where everyone has gone before.
Old December 30 2012, 04:27 PM   #30
Lynx
Rear Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
I think it's very unlikely that we're ever going to see the adventures of Captain Whatsisname of the Federation Starship USS Continuity boldly going where everyone has gone before.

Then everything is over!

No reason for life, love or anything. There's only one option left: To watch every episode of Stargate Universe and die of boredom.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at: http://lynx677.byethost12.com
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote