MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 29 2012, 09:03 PM   #166
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Re: First glimpse of new TARDIS control room!

Clara kissed him, teased him about getting his 'get you out of those clothes' line, and if this was on Showtime or HBO, they would have done it in the Tardis...

I think the Doctor isn't just getting A Mate but WILL MATE...
Old December 30 2012, 12:34 AM   #167
Wereghost
Commodore

^ Will what, mate?
Old December 30 2012, 02:59 AM   #168
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Mate with Clara
Old December 30 2012, 03:03 AM   #169
Saul
Rear Admiral

Not sure about the carousel thing, looks and sounds a bit cheap and I don't want it to replace the time rotor.
Old December 30 2012, 05:36 AM   #170
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

How so? It's still there. I'm not quite sure what actually moves in tbe column this time (I think it's just the central bit with two crystalish doodads that rise and descend to meet in the middle, and six lit columns not moving at all) but it's arguably the most detailed of the central columns in the new series so far. The previous central columns were simple plastic tubes and a blown glass sex aid with shiny bits around it; the latest edition has both oscilating and rotating parts including the carousel. Pretty cool IMO.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 09:42 AM   #171
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

It is pretty neat looking - can't wait until we see a bit more. I have to admit, I'm glad to see the rubber mallet on a rope gone and the fact that it looks like its not as random and chaotic as the other previous new series control rooms.

I still like the look of the 'coral' supports and the more 'organic' shape - but I think they are trying to take a definite look back at the past 50 years - since maybe they figure old series viewers will tune into the new series and they want to have a few things they'll recognise as 'familiar'.
Old December 30 2012, 03:43 PM   #172
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Still not a fan. The floor is really amateurish and boring and the opressive greyness of it all is dour and off-putting. The extra motion of the rotating cylinders is pretty good, but this is definitely a step back from last year.

The Doctor wouldn't, upon seeing this console room for the first time, exclaim "Oh, you sexy thing."

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:21 PM   #173
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I keep seeing people complain about the floor and how it's boring and amateurish and whatever, but I don't see what they're going on about. Honestly, I didn't even notice the floor. I was too busy looking at the console, the time rotor, and the bulkheads, let alone paying attention to The Doctor and Clara. Seriously, I find the strong criticism of the floor utterly bizarre.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 04:26 PM   #174
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The new control room is alright but I think it looks small. For the first time, the TARDIS seems to be just marginally bigger on the inside.
Old December 30 2012, 04:32 PM   #175
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
I keep seeing people complain about the floor and how it's boring and amateurish and whatever, but I don't see what they're going on about. Honestly, I didn't even notice the floor. I was too busy looking at the console, the time rotor, and the bulkheads, let alone paying attention to The Doctor and Clara. Seriously, I find the strong criticism of the floor utterly bizarre.
I honestly feel there's so much crap going on that I don't see how you have time to look at the floor.

I wish it were a bit bigger on the inside, though.
Old December 30 2012, 05:22 PM   #176
ROBE
Commander

It is better than the Willy Wonka one.
ROBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 06:07 PM   #177
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
Still not a fan. The floor is really amateurish and boring and the opressive greyness of it all is dour and off-putting. The extra motion of the rotating cylinders is pretty good, but this is definitely a step back from last year.

The Doctor wouldn't, upon seeing this console room for the first time, exclaim "Oh, you sexy thing."
He was (probably) looking at the white on white console room when he said that. And in black&white no less
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 08:58 PM   #178
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

And again the designer misses one of the jokes the TARDIS had in the original series. Which was the high tech console room disguised the fact it was actually a glitchy and outdated piece of junk.

The room itself still looks like a Power Ranger power room to me. The console is okay-ish. I like the Idea of it having controls from different eras but, sadly it looks like 80% of the controls are from the TVM onward consoles rather than an even mix from all eras. Also a nice touch that one of the panels had a large monitor on it similar to one that the console during the Baker/Davison years had. Though it's a shame they didn't mimic any of the controls for that panel such as the joystick. The the controless panel and those two LCD monitors on flimsy stands are rather naff. The center column is really lame as well, with its innards consisting of static light tubes that surround what looks like two dildos that extend and retract while in flight. And that carousel thing was above the console is just plain stupid.

I still wish they would make an updated version of the "An Unearthly Child" console room. I really miss the inner doors, roundel walls, and the fault locator.
Old December 30 2012, 10:55 PM   #179
Worf2DS9
Writer

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
The new control room is alright but I think it looks small. For the first time, the TARDIS seems to be just marginally bigger on the inside.
The exterior doors are certainly closer to the console area than the last couple we've had -- just a hop, skip and a jump away (though Eleven is pretty good at that)
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 11:43 PM   #180
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post

Seems like you can fit at least three or four police boxes in there.