Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 29 2012, 03:20 PM   #1126
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

It was a bit weird that they 'forgot' about the knee brace. A 2 second shot in the prison of his stretching his knee out with a 'cool, that's better too' look on Bruce's face would have been all that was needed.

As for the suggestion that Bats should've upgraded his suit, I would have liked to see that the other way round where Batman uses all his toys against Bane but gets beat and then just uses his fists at the end. I thought they were going that way when he uses those little flash things in the sewer fight, but it didn't really go any further.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 03:22 PM   #1127
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
It's Batman. He also didn't carry the nuke out of Gotham on his back, he used his Batplane. Beating a villain with gadgets is Batman. Having the humility to recognize that he can't physically beat that guy and has to rely on technology instead wouldn't have turned it into a different film.
Yes, it would have, since Batman's whole arc in this movie is that he has to let go of his death wish in order to defeat Bane. Before that happens, he's brutally defeated, and after that, he wins the day, saves everyone and finally moves on with his life. That's what the movie's about.

"Batman defeats Bane using gadgets" is a different movie, one that I personally feel is considerably less interesting. You may have a different opinion about that, but when all is said and done it's still a different movie.
Old December 29 2012, 03:46 PM   #1128
MacLeod
Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
So if it's not her sister, just some chick she hangs out with, like in the film, what's the problem?
In either case, the way this person obviously very important to Selina Kyle (in whatever fashion,) just gets dumped without a thought. Obviously, by itself not a big problem, it's just there are so many.
But the trilogy is about Bruce Wayne's journey, and she really wasn't a part of that story.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 04:10 PM   #1129
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

There were far to many characters in this story that didnt help Waynes journey. Blake and Foley among them.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 04:27 PM   #1130
Forbin
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post

"Batman defeats Bane using gadgets" is a different movie, one that I personally feel is considerably less interesting. You may have a different opinion about that, but when all is said and done it's still a different movie.
But did Batman even actually defeat Bane? It took Selena on the gimmicky Batpod shooting Bane with a cannon to finally put him down.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 04:29 PM   #1131
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
But did Batman even actually defeat Bane? It took Selena on the gimmicky Batpod shooting Bane with a cannon to finally put him down.
He totally had him beat. It was only when Talia turned up that it went to shit.

Last edited by Shazam!; December 29 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 04:31 PM   #1132
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

The difference is academic. In the end, there was a Batman and there was no Bane.
Old December 29 2012, 04:32 PM   #1133
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

If Talia had not interfered Bane would have been toast. Batman had him beat.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 04:41 PM   #1134
The Black Stig
Rear Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
There were far to many characters in this story that didnt help Waynes journey. Blake and Foley among them.
Blake is integral to Bruce's choice to fake his own death at the end of the movie. From the start, Bruce has known that he can't be Batman for ever and with the appearance of Blake, Bruce now has the heir he needs to fully move on.

Without Blake, Bruce either dies at the end or survives and continues as Batman.

All we know is that he's not The Stig, he's The Stig's drowned predecessor.
The Black Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 04:51 PM   #1135
Forbin
Admiral

The difference is academic. In the end, there was a Batman and there was no Bane.
Ah! Then it was okay to have defeated him with a gadget. Actually, for someone ELSE to have defeated him with a gadget, while Batman lay on the floor.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 05:01 PM   #1136
stj
Rear Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
Set Harth wrote: View Post
So if it's not her sister, just some chick she hangs out with, like in the film, what's the problem?
In either case, the way this person obviously very important to Selina Kyle (in whatever fashion,) just gets dumped without a thought. Obviously, by itself not a big problem, it's just there are so many.
But the trilogy is about Bruce Wayne's journey, and she really wasn't a part of that story.
Selina Kyle is as essential to Bruce Wayne's journey as Robin. Dropping whozis from Kyle's life without a thought is something like not bothering to explain why Blake was hanging around an orphanage.
Old December 29 2012, 05:03 PM   #1137
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post

If Catwoman hadn't interfered there'd be no Bruce, no Bane, no Talia and no Gotham.
Old December 29 2012, 05:06 PM   #1138
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Ah! Then it was okay to have defeated him with a gadget. Actually, for someone ELSE to have defeated him with a gadget, while Batman lay on the floor.
To be perfectly honest, every time I see Anne Hathaway in tight leather, my critical mind seems to disappear, so I must admit that it may not be as thematically sound as I pretended that it was.
Old December 29 2012, 05:31 PM   #1139
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post

If Catwoman hadn't interfered there'd be no Bruce, no Bane, no Talia and no Gotham.
Yeah.
I was thinking more in terms of if Batman had Bane in a one on one combat at that point, disregarding everything else.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 06:15 PM   #1140
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Well, it's easy to see the movie going your way when you ignore aspects of it.

If Bruce had beaten Bane in the sewer we would have had no problems with Bane, Bruice's back, or the bomb. Problem solved!