RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,116
Posts: 5,400,821
Members: 24,740
Currently online: 484
Newest member: Ohwowmelody

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 10 2012, 03:35 PM   #46
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral
 
Satyrquaze's Avatar
 
Location: Satyrquaze
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

Lt. LaForge wrote: View Post
Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
Lt. LaForge wrote: View Post
Admiral Jarok. The fact that Picard didn't deliver the letter when he had a chance on Romulus makes me feel even worse.
How do you know he didn't?

I recently re-watched that episode, and Jarok's speech about seeing his daughter and realizing that he felt he had to change the world for her usually evokes a reaction out of me.
An assumption, my good man. Based on the fact that it wasn't shown to us. We can't just assume that he delivered it. Conjecture should be taken negatively more often than not...when it comes to TV, in my opinion.
I think all the Voyager fans who readily accept the big reset button that they got at the end of each episode of Voyager would disagree.

I think that if Jarok left the names and address of his family and the kind of man that Picard is, I think we can safely assume that he at least delivered it to Shinzon or some other representive of the Romulan government during the early events of Nemesis or post-Nemesis (Donatra was honorable) And if not then, possibly through intermedaries during the Dominion War, when they were allies.

It sounds to be like you took the available data about all the items and people involved and decided that they would all act illogically and completely out of character.
__________________
“If at first you don't succeed, cheat, repeat until caught, then lie.” -Anomymous

Last edited by Satyrquaze; February 10 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Satyrquaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 06:25 PM   #47
Eckauskas
Lieutenant Commander
 
Eckauskas's Avatar
 
Location: Conn Station, Enterprise-D
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

lewisniven wrote: View Post
Eckauskas wrote: View Post
When Data died in Nemesis.
I dont know how I felt about that. I was sad because data is by far my favorite character, but then all that crap with B4 kind of sullied the whole thing, i left the cinema is a very strange mood.
It was a strange one, you're spot on. But before the moment with B4 singing 'Blue Sky' there was the moment when Data said goodbye to Picard. The crew crying over his death was another tough one to watch. I think that when Geordie followed Data to the forcefield, he knew he wouldn't see his best friend again.

As sad as it is, even typing this out gives me a lump

I'm a bit of a purist and as such, I was pretty gutted that they destroyed the Enterprise-D as well. It led to me never really taking to the Enterprise-E. But when Data blew up the Scimitar whilst on it, that was the worst I've ever felt watching a TV show or movie.
Eckauskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 11:01 PM   #48
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander
 
Lt. LaForge's Avatar
 
Location: Klingon High Council
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
Lt. LaForge wrote: View Post

An assumption, my good man. Based on the fact that it wasn't shown to us. We can't just assume that he delivered it. Conjecture should be taken negatively more often than not...when it comes to TV, in my opinion.
I think all the Voyager fans who readily accept the big reset button that they got at the end of each episode of Voyager would disagree.

I think that if Jarok left the names and address of his family and the kind of man that Picard is, I think we can safely assume that he at least delivered it to Shinzon or some other representive of the Romulan government during the early events of Nemesis or post-Nemesis (Donatra was honorable) And if not then, possibly through intermedaries during the Dominion War, when they were allies.

It sounds to be like you took the available data about all the items and people involved and decided that they would all act illogically and completely out of character.
To be fair, mate, I didn't look at the big picture. I was only looking at this situation through "The Defector" window, and as such did not consider Federation relations or dealings after the series' end. You have no idea how much better you made me about the ending of that episode.
Lt. LaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 07:11 AM   #49
Tina Lawton
Commander
 
Tina Lawton's Avatar
 
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

To address the OP question, the episode Sub Rosa. That someone made good money from writing that crap is amazing.
Tina Lawton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 09:49 AM   #50
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain
 
Nightdiamond's Avatar
 
Location: California
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

One would have to be from Reunion.

Worf and Alexander are in Worf's quarters alone. Worf tells him that he made arrangements for Alexander's care, but Alexander
asks why can't he stay with Worf.

Worf gently explains that he deserves a home and family which his parents can provide. Alexander looks off into the distance.

Worf senses what Alexander is thinking, tells him, "I miss her too."

Then Alexander looks up at Worf and slowly asks,"Are you my father?"

After a second, Worf finally softens up and admits, "Yes, I am your father".

Alexander reaches out with a hand, and Worf takes it, and pulls him closer and they embrace.

It was a wrenching moment that nobody else aboard would ever find out about.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 09:45 AM   #51
greenguy
Commander
 
greenguy's Avatar
 
Location: Chicago
Send a message via AIM to greenguy
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

I thought Lower Decks was a beautiful, unorthodox episode. It's still one of my favorites of the whole franchise. I started tearing up when Picard made the shipwide announcement about Sito's death.

ETA: Tosk already said it in those near-exact terms, so I agree!
greenguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 10:16 AM   #52
Tina Lawton
Commander
 
Tina Lawton's Avatar
 
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

In the spirit of the thread, the episode "The Offspring" did cause me to cry, for reasons I won't go into here. Lets just say it hit very close to home.
Tina Lawton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 10:43 PM   #53
samalex
Ensign
 
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

Lots of sad TNG moments, but the two that really stand out for me are Tasha Yar's eulogy in Skin of Evil and the final scene of All Good Things when Picard sits down at the card table. Both still to this day make me teary eyed.
samalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 07:19 AM   #54
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

Eckauskas wrote: View Post
lewisniven wrote: View Post
Eckauskas wrote: View Post
When Data died in Nemesis.
I dont know how I felt about that. I was sad because data is by far my favorite character, but then all that crap with B4 kind of sullied the whole thing, i left the cinema is a very strange mood.
It was a strange one, you're spot on. But before the moment with B4 singing 'Blue Sky' there was the moment when Data said goodbye to Picard. The crew crying over his death was another tough one to watch. I think that when Geordie followed Data to the forcefield, he knew he wouldn't see his best friend again.

As sad as it is, even typing this out gives me a lump

I'm a bit of a purist and as such, I was pretty gutted that they destroyed the Enterprise-D as well. It led to me never really taking to the Enterprise-E. But when Data blew up the Scimitar whilst on it, that was the worst I've ever felt watching a TV show or movie.
Same here. Both are the 2 worst moments in the history of Star Trek, and I include Kirk's death as equally bad.

It's like they wanted to destroy TNG on purpose almost.
__________________
Top Gear America: Jay Leno, Adam Carolla, Tim Allen. DONE!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 07:40 AM   #55
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

Everyone has already mentioned the good ones...I'm going to have to dig deep here.

Ahh, I thought of one. Ed Lauter in "The First Duty"
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 10:14 AM   #56
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander
 
Beta-Z's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

Tasha's good-bye speech as hologram to the crew after she died.
Exactly the moment when she says "Aah, Worf - we're so much alike, you and I. Both warriors.." - and the music in that moment is so intense.
But that's not just this scene, it's something personal as well.
Be strong now. Here we go:
When I saw that episode first time in the 80s, my best friend had just died 4 days ago in a car accident with only 18 years old.
We were warriors and very much alike too, he's been always a soulmate to me.
So just thinking about that scene with Tashas speech already brings tears to my eyes, even after all those years...
Phew..that's been my toughest post on here so far...

Last edited by Beta-Z; December 29 2012 at 10:55 AM.
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 06:59 PM   #57
Son of Quark
Lieutenant
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

P Tom wrote: View Post
The ending for "The Inner Light", when we realise that Picard's experience of love and life was already long gone a thousand years ago, with only the flute remaining.
That always gets me as well.
__________________
Axes Grind and Maces Clash!
Son of Quark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 07:24 PM   #58
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain
 
Dale Sams's Avatar
 
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
Tasha's good-bye speech as hologram to the crew after she died.
Exactly the moment when she says "Aah, Worf - we're so much alike, you and I. Both warriors.." - and the music in that moment is so intense.
But that's not just this scene, it's something personal as well.
Be strong now. Here we go:
When I saw that episode first time in the 80s, my best friend had just died 4 days ago in a car accident with only 18 years old.
We were warriors and very much alike too, he's been always a soulmate to me.
So just thinking about that scene with Tashas speech already brings tears to my eyes, even after all those years...
Phew..that's been my toughest post on here so far...
That ep at the time wasn't well received, but I'm seeing a lot of love for it here. Interesting.

I *always* loved it. The suddeness, the music...the camera work when they take her into sickbay...Picard's speech about evil. The fact that the writers leave it at 'A skin of evil', instead of technobabbling that away. All well done.
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 08:34 PM   #59
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

I didn't cry during the scene, but the final dream sequence in Birthright I has always given me goosebumps. It's such a beautiful scene, culminating in some of the best space shots you'll see in Star trek. It's that one scene that made me love that episode a lot, even though Part 2 was a disappointment.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 01:35 AM   #60
DalekJim
Fleet Captain
 
DalekJim's Avatar
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: TNG moments that made you want to cry(or did)

Picard playing the flute at the end of The Inner Light.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.