Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 26 2012, 06:57 PM   #46
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: Where do I start?

All this is probably a moot point now anyway, as the OP has already started watching the Eccleston series.

I'm looking forward to his further thoughts on the show. He should be coming up on "The Empty Child" fairly soon.

And no matter what the show. Any trailer producer who gives away a surprise ending needs to be slapped silly.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 06:58 PM   #47
DalekJim
Fleet Captain

The original 60s Cybermen are the best and the Russell T. Davies redesign made them clunky douchebags in flares. And now Moffat has decided to make them look like Iron Man for some reason?

Hasn't been a good Cybermen episode since the first episode of Attack of the Cybermen, guilty pleasure though Silver Nemesis may be.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Its probably a moot point now anyway, as the OP has already started watching the Eccleston series.

I'm looking forward to his further thoughts on the show. He should be coming up on "The Empty Child" fairly soon.
My second favourite New Who story behind The Girl Who Waited. Masterpiece.
DalekJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 10:59 PM   #48
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I still remember Dish's on screen guide using the term "unearthly child" for The Empty Child (or at least whoever writes those things).
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 11:55 PM   #49
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I just finished the final episode of Eccelstein's season. I'm kinda glad that I waited so long to get started, since now I get to see it all brand new.

I'm hooked. I look forward to watching more. I will miss Eccelstein as the Doctor. I really grew to like him. It will be fun seeing this new fellow, and how the character changes.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 01:15 AM   #50
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

You won't be disappointed - Tennant's Doctor is similar and yet very much different. ALTHOUGH what I am trying to figure out - watching Series 1 all over again today hehe - does Ecclestein ever change his shirt? LOL It seems like he's wearing the same thing every single episode - at least Tennant switches off now and again.

Hah the real reason why he left Who - "Wot? You mean I COULD have changed clothes more than once? Bloody 'ell! And the new guy gets HOW many changes of clothes? You pissahs."
Old December 29 2012, 01:29 AM   #51
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Yay, another diciple. Welcome aboard sbk!

All I remember from my first time seeing Tennant onscreen was "My God that man has a tiny nose."

I don't know if Netflicks carries the Children in Need specials, but you might want to watch this clip before jumping into The Christmas Invasion. It was our first proper look at David as the Doctor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeV6sx45fkU
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old December 29 2012, 01:49 AM   #52
Tulin
Vice Admiral

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I just finished watching Dalek. I would say the quality is definately improving. Somehow, I'm not too attached to the Doctor, though.I suppose that even though I've never seen it before, I still managed to have my own preconception of how he'd behave. Maybe I was expecting someone not so chaotic. Is that the right word? It will be interesting to see how other incarnations of him will be.
Eccelston chaotic?!?

WOW!!!

If you think HE is manic, I think you'll need medicating when it comes to SHOUTING AND RUNNING ALL THE TIME Tennat!!!!
Tulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 02:09 AM   #53
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Yeah Tennant can get a bit boistrous... but it works for him. Smith can to an extent, but in many ways he almost feels like an older Doctor even though his actor is far younger than most of the Doctors. Says 'shut up' too much lol.

But it's kind of interesting watching all three of the modern Doctors, you sort of see traits and quirks from an earlier one in a later one. It does feel like it all flows together nicely.
Old December 29 2012, 02:49 AM   #54
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Especially during the first half of season 2. I remember thinking Tennant was way too goofy for the part. Thankfully he eventually settled down.
Old December 29 2012, 05:53 AM   #55
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
I just finished watching Dalek. I would say the quality is definately improving. Somehow, I'm not too attached to the Doctor, though.I suppose that even though I've never seen it before, I still managed to have my own preconception of how he'd behave. Maybe I was expecting someone not so chaotic. Is that the right word? It will be interesting to see how other incarnations of him will be.
Eccelston chaotic?!?

WOW!!!

If you think HE is manic, I think you'll need medicating when it comes to SHOUTING AND RUNNING ALL THE TIME Tennat!!!!
I just watched that short clip leading into Christmas Invasion. I take it back about Eccelstein. Tennat is nuts! This should be fun!

Old December 29 2012, 07:46 PM   #56
Worf2DS9
Writer

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
does Ecclestein ever change his shirt? LOL It seems like he's wearing the same thing every single episode - at least Tennant switches off now and again.
Nine does change his shirt. Sometimes it's a dark green, red/burgundy or blue. Also, he seems to have two versions of his leather coat - sometimes it's a new-looking black, and other times it's more aged and brownish (though that may be due to certain lighting conditions, like outdoor filming vs. indoor).
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 08:06 PM   #57
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Y'know it is kinda funny when 9th turns into 10th is the hair reminds me of those playdoh playsets where the hair grows "magically''
Old December 29 2012, 08:12 PM   #58
DWF
Vice Admiral

Tulin wrote: View Post
Eccelston chaotic?!?

WOW!!!

I just watched that short clip leading into Christmas Invasion. I take it back about Eccelstein. Tennat is nuts! This should be fun!
It's Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 09:03 PM   #59
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Hey, I'm new at this. Thanks for the tip.

Old January 19 2013, 10:35 PM   #60
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

This may not be that new a question, but it's something I don't know. I undrstand the good Doctor is the last of his kind. The Time Lords all perished in the Time War. My question is if they're time travelers, why can't he go back to before they were all killed, or why hasn't he encountered any other time traveling Time Lords?
I'm sure there's probably an answer to this, but I'm not sure what it is. Thanks.