Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 8 2012, 11:04 PM   #31
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Re: The Outrageous Okona

The problem with that episode is that they didn't make Okana convincingly likable. His pickup line to Terri Hatcher was embarrassing and obviously written by people who've never personally had success flirting with women. It wasn't believable that everyone thought he was so cool and that he was good at picking up women.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 12:59 AM   #32
Epsilon IX
Fleet Captain

I would have to agree with SFDebris' conclusion in his review of this episode: Go to the annual Columbus Day parade instead!
Old December 14 2012, 01:33 AM   #33
Jeyl
Commodore

Epsilon IX wrote: View Post
I would have to agree with SFDebris' conclusion in his review of this episode: Go to the annual Columbus Day parade instead!
I never got that joke.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 08:32 AM   #34
FelizNavidad
Admiral

View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile

Epsilon IX wrote: View Post
Ha? A lot of people work that day, though.

Of course I'm probably completely missing the point of the joke, but oh well

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 03:20 PM   #35
Mott the barber
Commodore

Overall, this episode isn't as bad as I remember. There is worse. Data with the cigar still gives me a chuckle.
Old December 19 2012, 03:34 PM   #36
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: The Outrageous Okana

BillJ wrote: View Post
Whoever gave the go-ahead for this episode deserves to be beaten with a bag of oranges.
This. It was sucktacular.
Old December 19 2012, 03:45 PM   #37
trekker670
Fleet Captain

It's not a terrible episode, but it definitely doesn't really keep my attention. The funny thing is, I was watching it and my roommate walked in towards the end and summarized the A story pretty well as a cross between a Soap Opera and a High School Drama.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 04:14 PM   #38
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: The Outrageous Okana

sonak wrote: View Post
the character is a laughable failure as a "charming rogue" type. It's a sure sign that he's not one if the episode keeps TELLING you over and over again what a charming rogue he is.
A problem early TNG has a lot of, I've found watching the HD broadcasts. In "The Schizoid Man" we meet a dickish, rude, unpleasant, bigoted old man who everyone agrees that their impression of him is 'brilliant', despite the fact the single time he evinces anything remotely resembling brilliance it's his hijacking of Data's brain, a secret until near the end of the episode.

Or "Loud As A Whisper", which gives us a cocksure negotiator who brushes off the very idea of researching the origins of a conflict as being irrelevant to his job yet is so amazing at it people who've literally never seen him refuse to have their negotiations handled by anyone else and he's responsible for adding the word 'peacemaker' to the Klingon vocabulary.

Forbin wrote: View Post
Yeah. Joe Piscopo as the ultimate comedian role model.
That required more suspension of disbelief than I'm capable of.
In fairness to the episode the ultimate role model was said to be some guy who's great at quantum mechanics jokes. Joe comes up when Data asks for something more lowbrow instead (but he is indeed terrible).
Old December 20 2012, 04:14 PM   #39
Forbin
Admiral

^I remember an SNL where the guest star was Don Rickles, the ad-lib king. Piscopo became his victim, and (IIRC) couldn't come up with a single come-back during the whole show. It was brutal, hysterical, and it really showed Piscopo's limits.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 03:53 PM   #40
R. Star
Rear Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
The problem with that episode is that they didn't make Okana convincingly likable. His pickup line to Terri Hatcher was embarrassing and obviously written by people who've never personally had success flirting with women. It wasn't believable that everyone thought he was so cool and that he was good at picking up women.
He would have been more believable with, "Hi, I am Okona and I have a twelve inch penis. Wanna see?" Then at least Terri Hatcher would have a plausible reason for falling for him.
Old December 26 2012, 05:07 AM   #41
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
He would have been more believable with, "Hi, I am Okona and I have a twelve inch penis. Wanna see?" Then at least Terri Hatcher would have a plausible reason for falling for him.
Well, I often see dudes getting slapped or sometimes even pepper sprayed by chicks in the bars/clubs when they try a line like that one.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 05:36 PM   #42
indolover
Fleet Captain

meh...

the only good thing was seeing a young Teri Hatcher.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 12:57 PM   #43
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Well, I often see dudes getting slapped or sometimes even pepper sprayed by chicks in the bars/clubs when they try a line like that one.
That wouldn't have hurt the episode either.
Old December 28 2012, 08:34 PM   #44
sonak
Vice Admiral

er, I would think that line wouldn't work very often, it's way too obvious and the only women I'd think you'd get who'd actually fall for it would have IQs near the single digits. I mean, wouldn't they at least just ask the guy to whip it out for them before agreeing to go on a date or something?
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 12:18 AM   #45
R. Star
Rear Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
er, I would think that line wouldn't work very often, it's way too obvious and the only women I'd think you'd get who'd actually fall for it would have IQs near the single digits. I mean, wouldn't they at least just ask the guy to whip it out for them before agreeing to go on a date or something?
The point I was making, as dumb as it is, it's more genuine and has a more realistic chance of working than the crap the character pulled in the episode.