Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 24 2012, 02:39 AM   #16
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Re: Picard Quote

I think at the time Roddenberry had the attitude that 20th century conflict was self interested and nationalist.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 02:44 AM   #17
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
I think at the time Roddenberry had the attitude that 20th century conflict was self interested and nationalist.
It's not? Aside from the World Wars has any military conflict not been self-interested, nationalist or just being pretty much pointless?
Old December 25 2012, 01:43 AM   #18
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Santa Kang wrote: View Post
indolover wrote: View Post
Looked like a WWII general's uniform to me. I agree it seems odd, as Picard is the history/anthropology buff.

that said, I think the pilot's theme (but not plot) was pretentious. Why would some omnipotent choose humans to be their rivals and successors? I think this reeked of the Great Bird.
It kind of flies in the face of the ideals behind the Federation and gives credence to the "Homo Sapiens Only Club" concept.
Well, the Q only put humanity and not the Federation on trial. Nice that we were worthy of their attention.
At that stage of the game how do you separate one from the other?
Old December 25 2012, 02:12 AM   #19
The Wormhole
Admiral

Looked like a WWII general's uniform to me.
According to Memory Alpha, it is in fact a 1980s USMC uniform with Captain's rank insignia.
Old December 26 2012, 06:30 PM   #20
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

Probably just sloppy writing. So folks think costume and uniform are the same thing.
According to thesaurus.com, 'costume' and 'uniform' are synonyms. I didn't know this. I also think that this is the most reasonable explanation. Picard, even first-season Jean-Luc, doesn't seem like the type to belittle other countries or civilizations.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 07:25 PM   #21
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

They may be synonyms, but "costume" definitely has a negative connotation, and it sounds like Picard was invoking that.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 09:31 PM   #22
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It's not? Aside from the World Wars has any military conflict not been self-interested, nationalist or just being pretty much pointless?
Not even close. There have been multiple wars in the past century that served the purpose of self-protection, independence, supporting allies, deposing dictators, and Human rights.

The idea that wars are pointless is nothing more than a charming cliché.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 06:40 AM   #23
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
Probably just sloppy writing. So folks think costume and uniform are the same thing.
According to thesaurus.com, 'costume' and 'uniform' are synonyms. I didn't know this. I also think that this is the most reasonable explanation. Picard, even first-season Jean-Luc, doesn't seem like the type to belittle other countries or civilizations.
Usually you dress up in a costume and pretend you're something you're not. When you put on a uniform its because its what you wear when doing your job.

In universe, Picard is wearing a uniform. In real life, Stewart is wearing a costume.

Dress up as soldier for halloween you're in a costume. Dress up as soldier because you're in the military,you're in a uniform.
Old December 27 2012, 03:28 PM   #24
Sigokat
Commander

Location: Fort Bragg, NC but from Chicago (currently deployed)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Looked like a WWII general's uniform to me.
According to Memory Alpha, it is in fact a 1980s USMC uniform with Captain's rank insignia.
I remember reading something a long time ago that said it was a replica of Oliver North's uniform when he was testifying on the Iran-Contra conflict.
Sigokat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 01:08 PM   #25
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

Usually you dress up in a costume and pretend you're something you're not. When you put on a uniform its because its what you wear when doing your job.

In universe, Picard is wearing a uniform. In real life, Stewart is wearing a costume.

Dress up as soldier for halloween you're in a costume. Dress up as soldier because you're in the military,you're in a uniform.
I understand the distinction. Regardless, the words are still considered synonyms.
Old December 28 2012, 07:56 PM   #26
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Tell a marine you like his costume.
Old December 28 2012, 08:38 PM   #27
sonak
Vice Admiral

Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
Not even close. There have been multiple wars in the past century that served the purpose of self-protection, independence, supporting allies, deposing dictators, and Human rights.

He didn't say "wars are pointless," he said that they were mostly self-interested or nationalist in motivation, which is pretty hard to dispute, especially if you define "self-interest" pretty broadly to include things like a profit motivation or for resources.

"self-protection, independence, and supporting allies" all count as either nationalist or self-interested motivations, so it sounds like you mostly agree with him.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 02:19 PM   #28
Captain McBain
Captain

deleted
Old December 31 2012, 02:22 PM   #29
Captain McBain
Captain

Tell a marine you like his costume.
Only if Lore is my bodyguard.
In "The Royale," Picard and company seem to show respect for NASA and the dead officer which the away team came upon.
Well, the astronaut was an explorer. From the 24c perspective military men were people, as Q nicely put it, "squabbled over the resources of your world or over tribal god-images." In a peaceful time where humans aren't so violent, yeah, they may not look too kindly on military men who fought in wars.
Then they're being hypocritical, since the Federation was obviously involved in wars previously (and they would be involved in future wars with the Borg, Dominion, etc.).
Old January 1 2013, 10:27 AM   #30
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
just being pretty much pointless
He didn't say "wars are pointless,"
He did said has any military conflict not been "just being pretty much pointless."

it sounds like you mostly agree with him
Nope.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote