RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 443
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 13 2012, 02:47 PM   #76
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: 3 more TOS novels added to S&S catalog for 2013

I figured I'd give this thread a bump since the cover image for Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel has just been revealed. See it here.
Old December 13 2012, 03:52 PM   #77
zarkon
Captain

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=182840 would probably have been better thanks to the delicious blurbieness within
Old December 14 2012, 07:54 PM   #78
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Why is the Devil on the cover of a Star Trek novel?
Old December 15 2012, 11:45 PM   #79
KQuita
Lieutenant

Where as TOS ranks next to last on my preferential reading list, just ahead of the JJverse, I really want to give props and real appreciation to the writers who have been writing TOS in the last 10n years or so, because due to their quality writing and characterizations I can now read TOS without hearing William Shatner's voice in my head. Thank you very much folks.
KQuita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 11:52 PM   #80
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

KQuita wrote: View Post
Where as TOS ranks next to last on my preferential reading list, just ahead of the JJverse, I really want to give props and real appreciation to the writers who have been writing TOS in the last 10n years or so, because due to their quality writing and characterizations I can now read TOS without hearing William Shatner's voice in my head. Thank you very much folks.
But . . but I work so hard to get Shatner's voice right!
Old December 16 2012, 02:42 AM   #81
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

TOS isn't at the tops of my list either but the lot from 2012 were good reads, I even picked up Ex Machina & enjoyed that too. Looking forward to this years (2013).
Old December 16 2012, 05:54 AM   #82
Lunarflower
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
It's just a shame there are still no genuine new universe tie-ins.
Well, it's not like the YA Academy novels are counterfeits...
Yeah, but they're still YA. I want bigger and deeper.
Yeah. I have read all of the Starfleet Academy books. But I still really wanted to read the ones that were supposed to come out.
Lunarflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 03:19 PM   #83
darkcoffee
Ensign

I was fairly pleased with the Devil's Bargain giant red Spock cover. It was a good decision to go with a somewhat devilish looking Spock since they decided not to spoil one of the story's twists in the cover copy or on the cover. I don't know if it's a huge surprise what the twist turns out to be, but that's the way they wanted to go. I believe the artist was working off the original flap copy, which was not accurate for the final book. There is no mining colony other than Janus VI in the book (and since I mention Janus VI, you can probably guess what the hidden twist might be). The (non Federation) colony where a great deal of the book takes place is an agricultural and bio products affair in the story. It had to be non Federation for the *real* twist to work, btw. :-) But, all that said, I really like the cover.

Tony D.
darkcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 01:50 AM   #84
JD
Admiral

I don't know if "the twist", is really much of a twist in the novel itself. I believe that the author has already talked about which familiar race is involved in the story.
Old December 28 2012, 11:26 AM   #85
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

You are aware you're talking to the author, right?
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 12:35 PM   #86
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Welcome to Trek BBS, Tony D!
Old December 28 2012, 01:34 PM   #87
darkcoffee
Ensign

JD wrote: View Post
I don't know if "the twist", is really much of a twist in the novel itself. I believe that the author has already talked about which familiar race is involved in the story.
JD, yes, exactly.
darkcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 10:03 PM   #88
JD
Admiral

Defcon wrote: View Post
You are aware you're talking to the author, right?
I was not.
darkcoffee wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
JD, yes, exactly.
Welcome to the boards. I'm really looking forward to the book.
Old December 31 2012, 07:03 AM   #89
Kertrats47
Fleet Captain

View Kertrats47's Twitter Profile

darkcoffee wrote: View Post
I was fairly pleased with the Devil's Bargain giant red Spock cover. It was a good decision to go with a somewhat devilish looking Spock since they decided not to spoil one of the story's twists in the cover copy or on the cover. I don't know if it's a huge surprise what the twist turns out to be, but that's the way they wanted to go. I believe the artist was working off the original flap copy, which was not accurate for the final book. There is no mining colony other than Janus VI in the book (and since I mention Janus VI, you can probably guess what the hidden twist might be). The (non Federation) colony where a great deal of the book takes place is an agricultural and bio products affair in the story. It had to be non Federation for the *real* twist to work, btw. :-) But, all that said, I really like the cover.

Tony D.
I really like the cover as well, and I'm a big fan of those particular Janus VI-related lifeforms. Excited to check this one out when it's released.

And welcome to the forums, it's always great to have authors to talk to! Don't let us scare you off, okay?