New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 27 2012, 05:09 PM   #1096
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Funny thing: there is no verbal response from Selina in the film, just an expression.

Last edited by Set Harth; December 27 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 05:25 PM   #1097
Captrek
Rear Admiral

"I downloaded a cam of TDKR, watched it over and over and over and over and over, and wrote this super long blog post to explain why it isn't worth my time."
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 06:03 PM   #1098
C_Miller
Captain

Set Harth wrote: View Post
The name given in the credits is "Jen".
This is probably one of my biggest qualms with the Nolon trilogy. There's no reason for her to not be Holly Robinson other than Nolan trying to escape the comics. I feel the same way about John Blake not being Dick Grayson, but you can make a better argument in favor of Nolan for that one.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 06:10 PM   #1099
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

What Nolan does is that he takes the essence of something, then writes the story and script based on that, and then during the making adds another layer of references.

It's like writing a renarration of something you saw or read ten years ago. The essential stuff you can remember and extrapolate on, but other detail is not important to the story you want to tell.

I like that approach for remakes and parodies very much.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 06:24 PM   #1100
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

The reason I believe that John Blake wasn't named Dick Grayson or Tim Drake or anyone like that is because it's impossible, with the internet and buzz, to keep his identity Robin as a secret before the film's release (*ahem, John Harrison, ahem*) before it comes out.
Old December 27 2012, 07:16 PM   #1101
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
The reason I believe that John Blake wasn't named Dick Grayson or Tim Drake or anyone like that is because it's impossible, with the internet and buzz, to keep his identity Robin as a secret before the film's release (*ahem, John Harrison, ahem*) before it comes out.
The other reason is that John Blake becomes the next BATMAN, not some version of Robin.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 08:39 PM   #1102
C_Miller
Captain

I don't necessarily think it needed to be a secret.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 09:06 PM   #1103
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The other reason is that John Blake becomes the next BATMAN, not some version of Robin.
He was alreadyRobin in TDKR . Just not a costumed sidekick. But still a young assistant, apprentice to Batman. Who is an orphan and knows Bruce is Batman. That sounds like Robin to me.

The ending is Robin will take over as the new Batman. Almost every story in the comics about Batman's successor has it being Robin. When you think about, Robin never was just a sidekick but Batman's apprentice in the comics too. The movie takes all those ideas just leaves out the costume.

The name "John Blake" is irrelevant. He only says that as his first name once at the end. Otherwise he is only called "Blake" through the whole film. Same with his name in the end credits.

Something I never seen anyone notice is the significance of how we learn his name is Robin. Bruce Wayne listed him in his will under that name. Which means Batman knows him as Robin. That is very symbolic of who the character is.

Last edited by Dick Whitman; December 27 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 09:33 PM   #1104
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

C_Miller wrote: View Post
I don't necessarily think it needed to be a secret.
Of course it did. You remember how much attention every single detail of this film got attention before it came out. If any of the familiar Robin names got out, people would have spread it like WildFire, and read into every shot that the pre-release material had, whether it had that actor or not
Old December 27 2012, 09:34 PM   #1105
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

C_Miller wrote: View Post
I feel the same way about John Blake not being Dick Grayson, but you can make a better argument in favor of Nolan for that one.
Well, yeah. Blake was never a Flying Wallenda, and was a cop before having anything to do with the Batcave.
Old December 27 2012, 11:34 PM   #1106
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

In Nolan's version of Batman a child sidekick would not have worked. But he still kept as many elements from the comics as possible. Remember Robin still met Bruce as a child. He was also inspired by the image of a heroic Batman. He became a cop partially because of Batman.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 01:16 AM   #1107
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Making his first name "Robin" was somewhat silly. But it was still a moment that made me smile. I dunno.

I watched the movie recently on BD, got it for Christmas, and really it's hard for me to get enthusiastic about it. There's just a LOT of problems in it that are hard to overlook. I can overlook the silly microwave/water boiling machine in the first movie, or how The Joker managed to two ferries with explosives and other contrivances in his plan(s) in the second one but the third movie, I think, asks way too much.

IIRC in the comics Bane spent MONTHS breaking down Batman, wearing him out, to buy himself time to discover his secrets, breaking people out of Blackgate/Arkham and so on. Here, until we're shown he's working with Talia, we're pretty much led to believe he just "knew" where to attack Batman's armory. The comic version strikes me as more interesting.

Then, somehow, Bane is able to plant all of these explosives all over the city in the concrete (what? The Gotham recently rebuild the football stadium and most of their centuries-old sewer tunnels? Gordon and the police just thought it was a good idea to send the vast majority of their officers into the sewers?

How DID Wayne get back into Gotham?

And, what, the government just pretty much let Gotham stay occupied under siege for MONTHS?! And kept sending in supplies and such? What?!

Much of this movie doesn't make sense, and really, as good as Hardy was in this he's just not nearly as interesting watch as the Joker and his Sean Connery-ian accent is hard to find intimidating with bulking hulk that he is. It's like watching Mike Tyson talk. You know he can turn you into pulp but you can't help but laugh.

And, really, would it have been that big of a deal to work the Venom into the story somehow? Couldn't it just have been a powerful artificial steroid Bane was using that was constantly being pumped into him through the mask rather than, "Uhhh... anesthetic. His face got jacked up.. or something."

And Wayne's recovery is pretty remarkable. Apparently all he needed was some fancy techno kneebrace to overcome the complete lack of cartilage in the joint. And, of course, it's hard to ignore him going into retirement for 8 years after only being Batman for ONE year. He retires because his girlfriend died, apparently more devastating and life-shattering than his parents being murdered right in front of him so he goes complete emo for 8 years.

There's just a lot of flaws in this movie and they don't all add up and leave me unsatisfied. I enjoyed it, it's "good" and certainly better than the other Batman franchise but hardly think it breaks the "curse" of the third superhero movie always being the worst one. (Of course it's leaps and bounds better than Batman Forever, Spider-Man 3 or Superman 3.)
Old December 28 2012, 02:04 AM   #1108
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote:
Here, until we're shown he's working with Talia, we're pretty much led to believe he just "knew" where to attack Batman's armory.
...but now you know better, right?

Trekker4747 wrote:
How DID Wayne get back into Gotham?
He entered the cave system connected to the Batcave, got in the Bat, and flew into the city.

Or he snuck in with the food shipments.

Trekker4747 wrote:
And, what, the government just pretty much let Gotham stay occupied under siege for MONTHS?!
The presumed alternative was kaboom.

Trekker4747 wrote:
so he goes complete emo
It's all Obi-Wan's fault! He was holding him back!
Old December 28 2012, 02:28 AM   #1109
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

...but now you know better, right?
Now that I think about it, how did TALIA know about the armory? It was off the books and she presumably knew about it BEFORE Wayne Enterprises was signed back to her.

He entered the cave system connected to the Batcave, got in the Bat, and flew into the city.
Then Bane sucked at closing off the city and the military sucked at getting INTO the city.

The presumed alternative was kaboom.
Say New York City is seized by terrorists in a similar fashion. They've blown up all of the bridges and tunnels, save one, for supply shipments. They've managed to neutralize local law enforcement -as well as any military stations/personnel that may be in the city- released prisoners and simply have small army of people to hold the city. They threaten to blow up the city with a nuke should anyone leave or enter the city.

Do you REALLY think the President, Congress, the military and, hell, the American people are just going to shrug and say, "Whadda you gonna do?! Send them a truck full of food every couple of weeks and we'll call it good."
Old December 28 2012, 03:19 AM   #1110
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Then Bane sucked at closing off the city and the military sucked at getting INTO the city.
Yes, the fact that Bane did not manage to encase Gotham in a giant impenetrable sphere does indeed mean that he sucked. As for the military, kaboom.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Do you REALLY think the President, Congress, the military and, hell, the American people are just going to shrug and say, "Whadda you gonna do?! Send them a truck full of food every couple of weeks and we'll call it good."
In the real world? I have no idea. In any event, kaboom. ( Which would involve political fallout if not the other kind. )

And I don't see what the attitude of "the American people" has to do with it. So what if they don't like it? The vast majority would just bitch and complain, and any few that tried to get in would be stopped by the military.