Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 7 2012, 02:03 PM   #16
lurok
Commodore

Re: Why don't I like Walking Dead? (Spoilers up to 3x06 at least)

I enjoyed season 1 but so far haven't been able to muster up the enthusiasm for 2 & 3. No-one I know has yet said: "it's must-see TV" so I figure I'll get round to it someday.
Old December 7 2012, 07:16 PM   #17
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

I can't help the OP. I just started watching it this season. I haven't seen enough to be bored yet.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 11:16 PM   #18
Agent Richard07
Admiral

RJDonner&Blitzen wrote: View Post
I didn't say there weren't shocking deaths or that it wasn't a dark show. Of course it is. I said it doesn't feel like the Dark & Gritty trope-- in other words, it's genuine and doesn't come across as something designed to make teenagers feel like tough guys (like, for example, nuBSG).
The Walking Dead certainly has its share of over-the-top melodrama, the kind that doesn't always feel genuine. What makes it more acceptable here than on BSG?
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8 2012, 10:45 AM   #19
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Execution. nuBSG just had that feeling of juvenile posturing built into it. Plus, WD doesn't have the Beavis & Butthead stuff like people blowing cigarette smoke in the face of a pregnant woman. It feels sincere.
Old December 14 2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Immolatus
Captain

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Also in this season they've made one of the most likeable characters on the series - Andrea - much less so as she's seemingly switched sides for safety's sake. I didn't see that coming either.
Wait a second--she's one of the most likeable? She's been a major ass throughout the series. In season one, she's crappy to Dale. Season two she's running around trying to assert herself as a gunslinger, screws a psychopath (Shane), remains crappy to Dale, and worst of all, she plays some irresponsible game with a teenage girl (Beth) when the latter was considering suicide. Jump to season three, and with half of it in the can, she's still an ass with her lust for the Governor, ignoring Michonne's concerns, etc.
in all fairness what has Michonne given Andrea, "I don't like this place" grunt grunt.
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 12:04 AM   #21
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

RJDonner&Blitzen wrote: View Post
Execution. nuBSG just had that feeling of juvenile posturing built into it.
Plus - and I say this as someone who didn't watch for about 3 years in a strop over such posturing - when I did get absorbed again into BSG the ongoing narrative was huge and compelling with a great variety of characters (Cavill could steal a seen).

Walking Dead just has bleak character after bleak character.

I did make mid-season three finale, but am officially over it now. I just had the last couple in the background while I did other stuff. Whereas I was trying to hold together some interest, I gave up on even that pretence.

As to Andrea... ironically she's the character I felt quite drawn to, and cared about... but that disappeared this season since all she did was look quizzical.