RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,123
Posts: 5,401,128
Members: 24,744
Currently online: 592
Newest member: rachaela3

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 27 2012, 09:48 PM   #31
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

BillJ wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
It's funny the OP mentions this 'continuity error' when there a more blatant error in TSFS..

When David first opens the lid the shot reveals the interior to be dirty, but then a few seconds later another shot shows the interior to be be perfectly clean. That one can't be explained and is much more annoying.

It might be vice versa--first clean, then dirty, but it's a terrible error.
I just love that we're down to arguing over the mechanisms involved in opening a futuristic coffin.

Might be time to find a new hobby...

In my case--it's not anything but a striaght up flub--in one shot the inside is dirty and seconds later it's clean--just a bad bit of continuity--not any debate on how the tube exterior got dirty over several days/weeks.

Last edited by Grant; December 27 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:28 PM   #32
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral
 
RyanKCR's Avatar
 
Location: RyanKCR is living here in Allentown
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Grant wrote: View Post
It's funny the OP mentions this 'continuity error' when there a more blatant error in TSFS..

When David first opens the lid the shot reveals the interior to be dirty, but then a few seconds later another shot shows the interior to be be perfectly clean. That one can't be explained and is much more annoying.

It might be vice versa--first clean, then dirty, but it's a terrible error.
I still want to know where all that extra damage on the Enterprise comes from between TWOK and TSFS
__________________
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to.....I guess."
"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."
"Not all treasure is sliver and gold, mate."
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:38 PM   #33
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Continuity errors? Blame it on the director.

Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen anyone blame Nimoy for the problems with ST3.

Everyone and his dog blames Shatner for ST5, but it seems that no one wants to stick Nimoy with that kind of stigma.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:42 PM   #34
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Christkind wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
It's funny the OP mentions this 'continuity error' when there a more blatant error in TSFS..

When David first opens the lid the shot reveals the interior to be dirty, but then a few seconds later another shot shows the interior to be be perfectly clean. That one can't be explained and is much more annoying.

It might be vice versa--first clean, then dirty, but it's a terrible error.
I still want to know where all that extra damage on the Enterprise comes from between TWOK and TSFS

LOL. True, but at least time passed between end of TWOK and TSFS.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:43 PM   #35
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral
 
Location: UK
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen anyone blame Nimoy for the problems with ST3.
If anything, if it's the prop and VFX departments who are to blame for the casket flubs. I'm pretty sure they could have done a better job with the casket - even in 1983/4!

As for the storyline gaffs, one has to look no further than Harve Bennett. Nimoy approved the script and story as the film's director, but it's not like he wrote it!
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:46 PM   #36
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Continuity errors? Blame it on the director.

Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen anyone blame Nimoy for the problems with ST3.

Everyone and his dog blames Shatner for ST5, but it seems that no one wants to stick Nimoy with that kind of stigma.

True! One of the most terrible cont errors I've ever seen is where they slipped in a shot of a a klingon and expected the audience wouldn't notice it WASN'T Saavik.

Oh yeah, the svelte Saavik in a Starfleet uniform looks exactly like a burly klingon in leather warriors outfit.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:49 PM   #37
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Grant wrote: View Post
Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Continuity errors? Blame it on the director.

Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen anyone blame Nimoy for the problems with ST3.

Everyone and his dog blames Shatner for ST5, but it seems that no one wants to stick Nimoy with that kind of stigma.

True! One of the most terrible cont errors I've ever seen is where they slipped in a shot of a a klingon and expected the audience wouldn't notice it WASN'T Saavik.

Oh yeah, the svelte Saavik in a Starfleet uniform looks exactly like a burly klingon in leather warriors outfit.
Huh?

Maybe I missed that part too.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:51 PM   #38
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral
 
Location: UK
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Grant wrote: View Post
True! One of the most terrible cont errors I've ever seen is where they slipped in a shot of a a klingon and expected the audience wouldn't notice it WASN'T Saavik.
Damn! I completely forgot about this!

Yeah, it's just before the Pon Farr scene. At one stage I speculated that this was intentional, as if a Klingon had gone ahead and was trying to sneak up on Saavik and Spock, only to get killed during the tectonic event.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:59 PM   #39
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Mr Silver wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
True! One of the most terrible cont errors I've ever seen is where they slipped in a shot of a a klingon and expected the audience wouldn't notice it WASN'T Saavik.
Damn! I completely forgot about this!

Yeah, it's just before the Pon Farr scene. At one stage I speculated that this was intentional, as if a Klingon had gone ahead and was trying to sneak up on Saavik and Spock, only to get killed during the tectonic event.
No it wasn't intentional--they just didn't have the shot they needed of Curtis.

It's when Saavik is standing next to a tree after she has sent david off to fight the Klingons. By, you know Vulcan 'expert' Nimoy who forgot that Vulcans 'can go without sleep' for weeks who later had Saavik sound asleep after mating with young Spock and got taken by surprise by the klingons.

Here is a still of the shot, but it is nearly impossible to see in a single frame.
On right side of picture a klingon from the back, his head and right arm behind the tree.
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...7/tsfs0691.jpg
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 12:10 AM   #40
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Whose to say Vulcans don't pass out after they get their groove on?
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 12:12 AM   #41
marksound
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Planet Carcazed
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

BillJ wrote: View Post
Whose to say Vulcans don't pass out after they get their groove on?
This.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 12:14 AM   #42
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

BillJ wrote: View Post
Whose to say Vulcans don't pass out after they get their groove on?
I guess that could be the exception!!

Having her pass out and easily be captured is waaaay better than her fighting with the Klingons and then getting captured--if you're Bennett or Nimoy.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 04:03 AM   #43
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral
 
Location: UK
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

It irks me somewhat that Saavik wasn't the one to take the phaser and go "find out" who the hunting party were. After all, she's a Starfleet officer, trained to defend herself and navigate many different hostile situations. David was nothing more than a civilian scientist with a short temper and a lack of self control (Saavik had to tackle him to the ground in TWOK, so he didn't get himself killed by Terrell). He couldn't hold his own against his middle-aged father, much less a Klingon officer - who easily bested him physically and then killed him with one swift plunge of a dagger.

Yes, Saavik had to be there for Spock's Pon Farr, but it wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion that he'd experience it. Saavik should have gone to investigate the approaching enemy, she might have actually managed to reduce their numbers before being captured (Kruge was adamant about keeping them alive because he wanted answers about Genesis). All David managed to do was get beaten up and dragged back to the camp by the scruff of his neck.

The logical thing to do would would be for the Starfleet officer to go and scout the enemy, (who actually volunteered!) and that same officer should have pulled rank, had their been any arguments. Saavik acted very illogically.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 04:07 AM   #44
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral
 
ssosmcin's Avatar
 
Location: ssosmcin
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Continuity errors? Blame it on the director.

Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen anyone blame Nimoy for the problems with ST3.

Everyone and his dog blames Shatner for ST5, but it seems that no one wants to stick Nimoy with that kind of stigma.
Totally different. Nobody was coming down on Shatner for allowing continuity errors to slip into the final edit. Shatner caught hell for making what was considered by most people to be a crappy film (although I like it).

Neither of the Nimoy directed films were considered failures in the least. STIII was considered a rousing success when it premiered. I still have the print reviews.
__________________
"Tranya is people!"
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28 2012, 03:25 PM   #45
blueziggy
Lieutenant
 
Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

one thing that irks me about STIII, why is it that the enterprise can "detect" a cloaked bird of prey on a short range scan but cant see that grissom is no where to be found?
blueziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.