Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old December 27 2012, 09:48 PM   #31
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: Everytime I watch TWOK/TSFS...

BillJ wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
It's funny the OP mentions this 'continuity error' when there a more blatant error in TSFS..

When David first opens the lid the shot reveals the interior to be dirty, but then a few seconds later another shot shows the interior to be be perfectly clean. That one can't be explained and is much more annoying.

It might be vice versa--first clean, then dirty, but it's a terrible error.
I just love that we're down to arguing over the mechanisms involved in opening a futuristic coffin.

Might be time to find a new hobby...

In my case--it's not anything but a striaght up flub--in one shot the inside is dirty and seconds later it's clean--just a bad bit of continuity--not any debate on how the tube exterior got dirty over several days/weeks.

Last edited by Grant; December 27 2012 at 10:07 PM.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:28 PM   #32
RyanKCR
Vice Admiral

It's funny the OP mentions this 'continuity error' when there a more blatant error in TSFS..

When David first opens the lid the shot reveals the interior to be dirty, but then a few seconds later another shot shows the interior to be be perfectly clean. That one can't be explained and is much more annoying.

I still want to know where all that extra damage on the Enterprise comes from between TWOK and TSFS
RyanKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:38 PM   #33
marksound
Fleet Captain

Continuity errors? Blame it on the director.

Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen anyone blame Nimoy for the problems with ST3.

Everyone and his dog blames Shatner for ST5, but it seems that no one wants to stick Nimoy with that kind of stigma.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:42 PM   #34
Grant
Fleet Captain

Christkind wrote: View Post

I still want to know where all that extra damage on the Enterprise comes from between TWOK and TSFS

LOL. True, but at least time passed between end of TWOK and TSFS.
Old December 27 2012, 10:43 PM   #35
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen anyone blame Nimoy for the problems with ST3.
If anything, if it's the prop and VFX departments who are to blame for the casket flubs. I'm pretty sure they could have done a better job with the casket - even in 1983/4!

As for the storyline gaffs, one has to look no further than Harve Bennett. Nimoy approved the script and story as the film's director, but it's not like he wrote it!
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 10:46 PM   #36
Grant
Fleet Captain

Everyone and his dog blames Shatner for ST5, but it seems that no one wants to stick Nimoy with that kind of stigma.

True! One of the most terrible cont errors I've ever seen is where they slipped in a shot of a a klingon and expected the audience wouldn't notice it WASN'T Saavik.

Oh yeah, the svelte Saavik in a Starfleet uniform looks exactly like a burly klingon in leather warriors outfit.
Old December 27 2012, 10:49 PM   #37
marksound
Fleet Captain

True! One of the most terrible cont errors I've ever seen is where they slipped in a shot of a a klingon and expected the audience wouldn't notice it WASN'T Saavik.

Oh yeah, the svelte Saavik in a Starfleet uniform looks exactly like a burly klingon in leather warriors outfit.
Huh?

Maybe I missed that part too.
Old December 27 2012, 10:51 PM   #38
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Damn! I completely forgot about this!

Yeah, it's just before the Pon Farr scene. At one stage I speculated that this was intentional, as if a Klingon had gone ahead and was trying to sneak up on Saavik and Spock, only to get killed during the tectonic event.
Old December 27 2012, 10:59 PM   #39
Grant
Fleet Captain

Mr Silver wrote: View Post
Damn! I completely forgot about this!

Yeah, it's just before the Pon Farr scene. At one stage I speculated that this was intentional, as if a Klingon had gone ahead and was trying to sneak up on Saavik and Spock, only to get killed during the tectonic event.
No it wasn't intentional--they just didn't have the shot they needed of Curtis.

It's when Saavik is standing next to a tree after she has sent david off to fight the Klingons. By, you know Vulcan 'expert' Nimoy who forgot that Vulcans 'can go without sleep' for weeks who later had Saavik sound asleep after mating with young Spock and got taken by surprise by the klingons.

Here is a still of the shot, but it is nearly impossible to see in a single frame.
On right side of picture a klingon from the back, his head and right arm behind the tree.
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...7/tsfs0691.jpg
Old December 28 2012, 12:10 AM   #40
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Whose to say Vulcans don't pass out after they get their groove on?
Old December 28 2012, 12:12 AM   #41
marksound
Fleet Captain

This.
Old December 28 2012, 12:14 AM   #42
Grant
Fleet Captain

I guess that could be the exception!!

Having her pass out and easily be captured is waaaay better than her fighting with the Klingons and then getting captured--if you're Bennett or Nimoy.
Old December 28 2012, 04:03 AM   #43
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

It irks me somewhat that Saavik wasn't the one to take the phaser and go "find out" who the hunting party were. After all, she's a Starfleet officer, trained to defend herself and navigate many different hostile situations. David was nothing more than a civilian scientist with a short temper and a lack of self control (Saavik had to tackle him to the ground in TWOK, so he didn't get himself killed by Terrell). He couldn't hold his own against his middle-aged father, much less a Klingon officer - who easily bested him physically and then killed him with one swift plunge of a dagger.

Yes, Saavik had to be there for Spock's Pon Farr, but it wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion that he'd experience it. Saavik should have gone to investigate the approaching enemy, she might have actually managed to reduce their numbers before being captured (Kruge was adamant about keeping them alive because he wanted answers about Genesis). All David managed to do was get beaten up and dragged back to the camp by the scruff of his neck.

The logical thing to do would would be for the Starfleet officer to go and scout the enemy, (who actually volunteered!) and that same officer should have pulled rank, had their been any arguments. Saavik acted very illogically.
Old December 28 2012, 04:07 AM   #44
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Totally different. Nobody was coming down on Shatner for allowing continuity errors to slip into the final edit. Shatner caught hell for making what was considered by most people to be a crappy film (although I like it).

Neither of the Nimoy directed films were considered failures in the least. STIII was considered a rousing success when it premiered. I still have the print reviews.
Old December 28 2012, 03:25 PM   #45
blueziggy
Lieutenant

one thing that irks me about STIII, why is it that the enterprise can "detect" a cloaked bird of prey on a short range scan but cant see that grissom is no where to be found?
blueziggy is offline   Reply With Quote