Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 27 2012, 02:01 AM   #16
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Would You Be Ok With Khan Being A CGI Ricardo Montalban?

Would I be happy with a CGI Montalban?...

3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:02 AM   #17
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
This is a rumor over at TrekMovie that was started by a presumed production assistant with IDM Comics that created a heated discussion about it.
Is there a link to this?
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:32 AM   #18
FarStrider
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to FarStrider

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Shilliam Watner wrote: View Post
This is a rumor over at TrekMovie that was started by a presumed production assistant with IDM Comics that created a heated discussion about it.
Is there a link to this?
It's not true. . . just some overzealous Khan fanbois latching onto a theory that supports their Khan-centric view of the movie. . .

in comment 114. of this thread someone named Gilberto claimed that Khan would be CGI. . . in comment 117, someone noticed that there is a Gilberto who is a production assistant at IDW, and it snowballed from there. . .

In this thread everyone who blithely assumed that Gilberto was from IDW was forced to eat crow when it was proven that he really is just Gilberto from Rio de Janeiro who was just pulling theories out of his behind like every other trek fan who has seen the trailers. . .see specifically comment 162.

Nothing to see here. . .

~FS
Old December 27 2012, 02:42 AM   #19
StarMan
Vice Admiral

Sweet baby Jebus ... no!
Old December 27 2012, 02:45 AM   #20
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
Maybe if we can get some of Ricardo Montalbans DNA (off a hair brush?) and some Temporal RNA we can create a clone which will undergo rapid ageing that could be ready in time for a third Trek movie?
Make sure you do some rewriting to enhance the chest area.
Oh god, 900 more threads about whether Ricardo Montalban's boobs are fake (in the original they're real, and they're magnificent) only this time they're actually CG titties. The mass confusion and anger between those saying real or fake or both will tear Trek fandom apart.
Old December 27 2012, 03:10 AM   #21
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Ricardo Montalban was in ridiculously good shape throughout most of his life. Hell, he still managed to look well even when he became wheelchair dependent!

IIRC, Montalban's background was in musical theatre and dance, so it's not a stretch to say that he continued the vigorous training regimes of those branches when he became a film and television actor, perhaps out of habit. There have been many 60+ year old actors like Harrison Ford and Sean Connery for example. who remain in great physical shape. The Montalban "chest" conspiracy has always sounded pretty odd.

As for a "CGI Montalban", it could be done for a brief cameo but not for a whole movie. To pull it off, they'd need to find a actor or stunt man, who is similar to Montalban in stature along with re-using footage and audio from "Space Seed", maybe even from TWOK too. The best result would probably be similar to the T-800 models (CGI is used to create Arnold Schwarzenegger's likeness) seen in Terminator Salvation. They can't do what they did with Jeff Bridges (real-time motion capture and CGI) because Montalban is no longer alive, sadly.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 03:18 AM   #22
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Mr Silver wrote: View Post
To pull it off, they'd need to find a actor or stunt man, who is similar to Montalban in stature.

Same Adam's Apple and everything.
Old December 27 2012, 03:20 AM   #23
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

HoHoHocutus wrote: View Post
Mr Silver wrote: View Post
To pull it off, they'd need to find a actor or stunt man, who is similar to Montalban in stature.

Same Adam's Apple and everything.
Kirk: "ANNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!"
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 03:28 AM   #24
M'Sharak

Flake wrote: View Post
Maybe if we can get some of Ricardo Montalbans DNA (off a hair brush?) and some Temporal RNA we can create a clone which will undergo rapid ageing that could be ready in time for a third Trek movie?
Oh god, 900 more threads about whether Ricardo Montalban's boobs are fake (in the original they're real, and they're magnificent) only this time they're actually CG titties. The mass confusion and anger between those saying real or fake or both will tear Trek fandom apart.
What if...

What if the role of Khan were to be portrayed by Ricardo Montalban's CGI pecs alone?
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
Old December 27 2012, 03:34 AM   #25
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

If he was in the background of a scene or flashback or something- fine.

Otherwise, hire an actor.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 03:42 AM   #26
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Khan as CGI? Nah. Dr. Helen Noel?
Old December 27 2012, 04:06 AM   #27
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

M'Sharak wrote: View Post

What if...

What if the role of Khan were to be portrayed by Ricardo Montalban's CGI pecs alone?

Star Trek Into Décolletage

You know how after Oliver Reed died during the making of Gladiator, they just CGI'd his face onto some other guy? Same deal, except where the face should be, you get Mr. Roarke and Tattoo (That's what he calls them, you see --one's slightly larger than the other).
Old December 27 2012, 04:55 AM   #28
Christopher
Writer

You know how after Oliver Reed died during the making of Gladiator, they just CGI'd his face onto some other guy?
Only in a couple of scenes, and they had to keep it dark or have him behind a gate or something to hide the seams. It certainly couldn't have worked for the full film.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 05:04 AM   #29
M'Sharak

Star Trek Into Décolletage

You know how after Oliver Reed died during the making of Gladiator, they just CGI'd his face onto some other guy? Same deal, except where the face should be, you get Mr. Roarke and Tattoo (That's what he calls them, you see --one's slightly larger than the other).
Old December 27 2012, 06:26 AM   #30
I Am Groot
I Am Groot

Christopher wrote: View Post
You know how after Oliver Reed died during the making of Gladiator, they just CGI'd his face onto some other guy?
Only in a couple of scenes, and they had to keep it dark or have him behind a gate or something to hide the seams. It certainly couldn't have worked for the full film.
Oh darn, and I was totally serious about the whole Khan's boobs on someone else's face thing, too.