Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 25 2012, 10:09 PM   #181
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Django Unchained--Tarintino's new project

^Perhaps, despite your concious disdain for this upcoming film...your subconcious finds it strangely attractive!

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2012, 04:55 AM   #182
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Christmas needs to hurry up.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 10:27 AM   #183
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

It's been a while since a thread update, and the film opened yesterday, a friend of mine has seen it twice already and has put it in his top three favourite films of 2012 list. I won't be seeing it until my birthday on Friday. I did read the first issue of the comic based on the full script and it was outstanding. Has anyone seen it yet? Or are you waiting until the weekend?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 12:08 AM   #184
Aeronef
Lieutenant Commander

I saw it today. Very entertaining film--one of Tarantino's best, in my opinion.
Old December 27 2012, 02:28 AM   #185
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

So, I just have to ask since I'm still a bit burned after "Ingloreous Basterds", is this movie ACTUALLY about, and follows, Django or is he kinda-in it but the movie mostly focuses on completely different characters in a completely different story?
Old December 27 2012, 03:24 AM   #186
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

^This movie is Django's movie. While other characters play major roles, the story is his through and through.

I saw it yesterday, and loved it. It's a very long film, but never feels like it's dragging. The trademark Tarantino dialogue is out in full force, complete a pretentious monologue from the villain. I do have one quibble with it, that I'll spoiler code:

Old December 27 2012, 04:00 AM   #187
Aeronef
Lieutenant Commander

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
^This movie is Django's movie. While other characters play major roles, the story is his through and through.
Yes.

Yes. That was a little unusual, and could easily have ended in anticlimax. But I thought the film pulled it off.
Old December 29 2012, 04:14 AM   #188
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
So, I just have to ask since I'm still a bit burned after "Ingloreous Basterds", is this movie ACTUALLY about, and follows, Django or is he kinda-in it but the movie mostly focuses on completely different characters in a completely different story?
The only caveat I add is that the movie is very much the story of King Schulz (played by Christoph Waltz) as well as Django though Django is never sidelined. It is actually probably the most straightforward of Tarantino's movies.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 06:33 AM   #189
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Of all the film I have seen this year--THIS one made me laugh the hardest!

Quentin, my inspiration--you, sir, have outdone yourself!

Django Unchained is, I must say, tied with Pulp Fiction for position of "favorite Tarantino flick". It's that good.

As for the post-climax thing...well--I'm actually reminded of what Peter Jackson noted about Tolken's ideas about the climax for Return of the King.

Other thoughts:

Perfect choices of music--including a shivver-inducing use of "I Got A Name".

A Klan sequence that had me bust a gut and split my sides in laughter!

The "Broomhilda" legend filled me with awe, as I realized that Quentin didn't just throw in a German bounty hunter "for the heck of it" (or...just to work in the great Christof Waltz). There is a dramatic element in that aspect of Dr. Shultz. Mr. Tarantino...you sure knew what you were doing!

Gotta love the Franco Nero cameo--and the strong implication that he's playing...the original Django. (Also love the look of mutual respect the two characters exchange.)

Oh...and by the way--there IS something after the credits.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."

Last edited by Rush Limborg; December 29 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 07:59 AM   #190
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Just saw the film tonight. It's excellent. Certainly one of Tarantino's best. Amazing Performances by Waltz and Dicaprio. Sam Jackson had me laughing with almost everyone of his lines.

I do wonder what the film would be like if the ending had been a little more subdued. It got ultra-silly real fast once the big gunfight started. I loved every minute of it, but it did seem a pretty big leap in tone.

Edit - I slept on it and I'm now willing to call this my favorite film of the year.

Last edited by Kirkman1987; December 29 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2012, 08:17 PM   #191
davejames
Vice Admiral

Thought it was really good as well, although not quite to the level of Inglourious. I found myself kind of missing the crazy detours and time jumps and side stories of his other movies. And despite the epic length, it felt like they tracked down Django's wife a little TOO quickly and easily.

But still, Foxx, Waltz and DiCaprio were all amazing to watch, and by the end Django had become such a cool, absolutely badass character I found myself wishing we could see more of him in a sequel.

And despite what some critics say, I never got the sense Tarantino was trivializing the subject matter in the slightest. He may have had some fun with his characters, but the ugliness and awfulness and barbarity of the actual act of slavery still comes through loud and clear in this movie-- and probably stronger than I've ever seen it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2012, 06:44 AM   #192
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I thought Inglourious Basterds was much stronger than Django. DiCaprio and Samuel L Jackson were fantastic. Foxx and Waltz were just OK for me in this one.

The proto-Klan with the underwhelming bag disguises were pretty funny, but the bumbling Klan thing reminded me too much of O Brother Where Art Thou. I didn't find many of the action sequences that engaging. I thought the running length of the movie was way too long. There just wasn't enough going on in this film for it to fill 2 hours and 45 minutes. The ending dragged like Return of the King. Bad call throwing yourself on camera Quentin, with your preposterous Aussie accent, was definitely ready for the movie to end at that point.
Old December 31 2012, 05:13 PM   #193
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

^Tarantino always cameos in his movies. There would have been something lacking had he not. Also, I think there's meant to be humor in that scene. We're supposed to recognize him, and realize he's doing a ridiculous accent. Someone that doesn't know Tarantino wouldn't think twice about it, but a fan would recognize it and laugh.
Old December 31 2012, 09:43 PM   #194
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
And despite what some critics say, I never got the sense Tarantino was trivializing the subject matter in the slightest. He may have had some fun with his characters, but the ugliness and awfulness and barbarity of the actual act of slavery still comes through loud and clear in this movie-- and probably stronger than I've ever seen it.
I agree. In fact I thought that Tarantino did a good job of showing just how bad it was in order to justify all the great killing Django "had" to do.

^Tarantino always cameos in his movies. There would have been something lacking had he not. Also, I think there's meant to be humor in that scene. We're supposed to recognize him, and realize he's doing a ridiculous accent. Someone that doesn't know Tarantino wouldn't think twice about it, but a fan would recognize it and laugh.
Good point. And it was a funny scene.

Sam jackson's character was the classic Uncle Tom house negro. There is a character in "Boondocks" that is almost a perfect update on this guy. He was at times, sinister, hilarious, condescending, stupid, and ingenius (or at least smarter than ole massa) -- the only way a guy like that cauld have survived so long. My only quibble with him was that I thought that rather than angrily shouting invectives at Django after being shot, that character should have suddenly become Django's "brotha". He should have attempted to ingratiate and maybe save himself with the commonality of their both having been slaves and fighting the "white man", etc.

Kerry Washington was fine. She should have played Uhura, I tell you.

What about the scene where the dude grabbed Jamie Foxx's junk with his bare hand?
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1 2013, 01:04 AM   #195
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I understand Quentin likes to throw himself into his movies. I just didn't like that cameo at all. He has been more subtle in the past, the aforementioned Inglourious Basterds for one.

Kerry Washington as Uhura? Meh, Zoe Saldana on that one all the way for me.