Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old December 24 2012, 05:19 AM   #31
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: Getting into Star Trek, what should I watch!??

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Heck, let's not mince words. Star Trek V should be avoided at all costs!
If not expunged from your conciousness entirely.
Old December 24 2012, 08:06 PM   #32
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

STV was the first Trek movie I ever saw, and I turned out okay...
Old December 24 2012, 08:58 PM   #33
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
STV was the first Trek movie I ever saw, and I turned out okay...
It's always inspirational when someone beats the odds and rises above adversity . . .
Old December 24 2012, 09:59 PM   #34
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Old December 26 2012, 06:05 AM   #35
miraclekid
Ensign

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
I've had more success using DS9 more than any other series to convert new fans to Star Trek.
Same.

Annnnyhow there are a lot of good recommendations here in this thread but I think your best bet is to read up on the TV series and just pick the one that appeals to you the most and go from there. That way you can discover your own favorites.
miraclekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 01:31 AM   #36
Nibbz
Ensign

Well I took a look at a couple original series episodes, which I don't mind at all, but yes they are dated. Watched TNG pilot and a couple other eps. I enjoy TNG and really love Patrick Stewart so its easy to get into. I also watched the pilot of Star Trek Enterprise and really enjoyed it.

A big question I have and would like to have answered is what series are episodic (i'm assuming TOS and TNG are), and which have continuing story arcs across multiple episodes (I understand DS9 is like this). So I really just want to know if Voyager and Enterprise have story arcs across episodes. Thanks guys.
Nibbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:12 AM   #37
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

From the animated series, you might try Albatross, Yesteryear and One Of Our Planets Is Missing. The rest of the cartoons are fair through bad, but those three are above many of the live action episodes.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:15 AM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Nibbz wrote: View Post
Well I took a look at a couple original series episodes, which I don't mind at all, but yes they are dated. Watched TNG pilot and a couple other eps. I enjoy TNG and really love Patrick Stewart so its easy to get into. I also watched the pilot of Star Trek Enterprise and really enjoyed it.

A big question I have and would like to have answered is what series are episodic (i'm assuming TOS and TNG are), and which have continuing story arcs across multiple episodes (I understand DS9 is like this). So I really just want to know if Voyager and Enterprise have story arcs across episodes. Thanks guys.
Enterprise had a series long arc called the Temporal Cold War which was only touched on sporadically, a season long arc in season three and several multi-part episodes in season four.
Old December 27 2012, 07:13 AM   #39
Nibbz
Ensign

Caught Space Seed and Wrath of Khan tonight. Wow to the latter, what an amazing film. If the new movie piqued my interest, 2 turned me into a fan. Loved it.
Old January 6 2013, 06:25 AM   #40
Nibbz
Ensign

Update on my foray into Star Trek. Saw a handful of TOS, TNG, two DS9 episodes, and two Enterprise episodes. Plus movies 2 through 4 and the Undiscovered Country.

With all of this taken into account, I must say that I prefer TOS much more than the others so far. The actors and dialogue are much worse imo in TNG and DS9. Sisko in particular is difficult to listen to, and I'm not particularly a fan of Data.

It may just be Kirk and Spock that make me love TOS so much, plus the movies with the original cast are just so entertaining and helped me really like the characters even more. Any tips to get me into TNG and DS9? I wanna enjoy DS9 in particular as I've heard as a continuing series, its the best Star Trek has to offer.
Old January 6 2013, 06:44 AM   #41
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Did Sisko have a goatee? and shaved head
Old January 6 2013, 07:13 AM   #42
Nibbz
Ensign

Not yet. Only in episode 3 yet.
Old January 6 2013, 07:19 AM   #43
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Okay its like I said earlier, especially with TNG and DS9 for most first year episodes the cast walked around like they had a stick up their collective asses. I don't know if they were protecting the legacy or were not at ease working in a space opera which had such a known fanatic base.
Old January 6 2013, 07:26 AM   #44
Nibbz
Ensign

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Okay its like I said earlier, especially with TNG and DS9 for most first year episodes the cast walked around like they had a stick up their collective asses. I don't know if they were protecting the legacy or were not at ease working in a space opera which had such a known fanatic base.
As a continuing series, through watching most if not al the episodes in order. Between TNG and DS9, Which would you say would be the more enjoyable series and what are the main differences between them.
Old January 6 2013, 07:33 AM   #45
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

For me DS9 because it tells us a continuing story about the reconstruction and development of Bajor. It was always in the background and DS9 did not move away at warp 2 at the end of every episode. And we got a greater appreciation for what civilians did in the Star Trek universe. TNG however follows the format of the original series more closely.