RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,063
Posts: 5,397,620
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 432
Newest member: phurren

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 24 2012, 01:59 AM   #16
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Thanks for the thinly veiled sarcasm. Nothing is ever achieved without trying. Being a forum full of Star Trek fans, I would have expected far more open minded attitudes than this.
But then there's a such thing as realism. Some people signing an on-line petition is not going to motivate CBS to do anything considering 10,000 petitions demanding companies to do things are started on the internet everyday.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 06:27 PM   #17
BriGuy
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

I've seen in-writing petitions handed to elected officials and been ignored.

Too easy for people to "speak out" on the Internet; conversely, it's easy to ignore.

We're lucky we got replacement discs for the first season with its egregious audio issues.

I doubt anything will be done for a handful of fans' nitpicking, pausing and zooming as they look for problems.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 12:07 AM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

I dunno, I'm the guy who sees no point in buying the BluRay sets that are just slightly better than my current DVD sets. My Trek experience really isn't going to be enhanced by being able to see their zippers better or slightly beefed up graphics. The cut scenes/outtakes and other extras are interesting, but will end up on youtube anyways.

And as mentioned, I'm sure there will be another edition some years down the road anyways. Lucas seems to have known what he was doing in re-releasing it every 10 years or so with new editing to generate sales.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 12:14 AM   #19
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
I dunno, I'm the guy who sees no point in buying the BluRay sets that are just slightly better than my current DVD sets.
I really wish people would quit saying this, it's simply a lie. Not only is the picture more detailed, the colors are truer and the sound is better.

You don't want to shell out for the upgraded sets? Fine. But it's pretty poor to be spreading out-and-out falsehoods.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 12:26 AM   #20
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Star Grinch wrote: View Post
I dunno, I'm the guy who sees no point in buying the BluRay sets that are just slightly better than my current DVD sets.
I really wish people would quit saying this, it's simply a lie. Not only is the picture more detailed, the colors are truer and the sound is better.

You don't want to shell out for the upgraded sets? Fine. But it's pretty poor to be spreading out-and-out falsehoods.
Wow, so all your opinions are facts and anyone who disagrees with your opinion and has a different one is lying now? How objective of you.

As I said, it's slightly better. I'm sure you can point out all the small little details. To me it's quite insignificant and not worth shelling money for another set of DVDs when I have a perfectly good set now. If you want to, that is your prerogative, but it's pretty poor of you to be thinking your views are the only prevailing ones.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 12:30 AM   #21
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Star Grinch wrote: View Post
I dunno, I'm the guy who sees no point in buying the BluRay sets that are just slightly better than my current DVD sets.
I really wish people would quit saying this, it's simply a lie. Not only is the picture more detailed, the colors are truer and the sound is better.

You don't want to shell out for the upgraded sets? Fine. But it's pretty poor to be spreading out-and-out falsehoods.
Wow, so all your opinions are facts and anyone who disagrees with your opinion and has a different one is lying now? How objective of you.

As I said, it's slightly better. I'm sure you can point out all the small little details. To me it's quite insignificant and not worth shelling money for another set of DVDs when I have a perfectly good set now. If you want to, that is your prerogative, but it's pretty poor of you to be thinking your views are the only prevailing ones.
It's not about opinion, it's about technical fact. Go study up on bit rate during playback and number of pixels on the screen.
__________________
"I tell you what you all need, you need to take a thirteenth step, down off your high horse." - Hank Hill, King of the Hill
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 12:34 AM   #22
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Star Grinch wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

I really wish people would quit saying this, it's simply a lie. Not only is the picture more detailed, the colors are truer and the sound is better.

You don't want to shell out for the upgraded sets? Fine. But it's pretty poor to be spreading out-and-out falsehoods.
Wow, so all your opinions are facts and anyone who disagrees with your opinion and has a different one is lying now? How objective of you.

As I said, it's slightly better. I'm sure you can point out all the small little details. To me it's quite insignificant and not worth shelling money for another set of DVDs when I have a perfectly good set now. If you want to, that is your prerogative, but it's pretty poor of you to be thinking your views are the only prevailing ones.
It's not about opinion, it's about technical fact. Go study up on bit rate during playback and number of pixels on the screen.
Yes, all that leads to slightly better graphics and sounds. If you think that's awesome, good for you. That doesn't mean I'm "lying" because I don't share your opinion of it.

So no, your opinion is not "technical fact."
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:03 AM   #23
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

The Blu-Ray discs have almost 2-1/2 times the resolution of the DVDs, which means a sharper picture. A simple look at screencaps will show a sharper picture and more vibrant colors. It IS a matter of technical fact. The Blu-Rays are a SIGNIFICANT improvement in picture quality over the DVDs, sourced from freaking VHS tape!

One look at any of the comparison videos that are out there and you can clearly see the difference in sharpness, quality, and colors. This is no slight improvement. It's night and day.

But, hey, the special effects team for Season-2 made a sliver of a viewscreen clip into the wall, so.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:26 AM   #24
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
I dunno, I'm the guy who sees no point in buying the BluRay sets that are just slightly better than my current DVD sets. My Trek experience really isn't going to be enhanced by being able to see their zippers better or slightly beefed up graphics. The cut scenes/outtakes and other extras are interesting, but will end up on youtube anyways.

And as mentioned, I'm sure there will be another edition some years down the road anyways. Lucas seems to have known what he was doing in re-releasing it every 10 years or so with new editing to generate sales.
It's odd that you bring up Lucas when what he did with the original Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-ray is the antithesis of what is being done with Star Trek: The Next Generation. Lucas didn't go back to the original 35mm camera negatives and re-scan them. He didn't try to re-create the original look of the VFX.

And belittling the quite significant audio/visual improvements found on the TNG Blu-rays in order to justify not buying them is silly and unnecessary. No one here is going to hold it against you if you acknowledged the great improvements the Blu-rays offer yet simply said that your money would be better spent on other more important things right now.

Or in regard to this petition, to simply say, "No thanks, I don't even own a blu-ray player."
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:43 AM   #25
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The Blu-Ray discs have almost 2-1/2 times the resolution of the DVDs, which means a sharper picture. A simple look at screencaps will show a sharper picture and more vibrant colors. It IS a matter of technical fact. The Blu-Rays are a SIGNIFICANT improvement in picture quality over the DVDs, sourced from freaking VHS tape!
It's actually 4.5 times the resolution of the DVDs! (measuring the active picture area of the Blu-rays, e.g. 1440x1080 vs. 720x480). And the DVDs were sourced from (originally) 1-inch analog reel-to-reel tape (VHS was a half-inch consumer format)... but I wholeheartedly agree with your point. In fact, the perceivable jump in color, contrast and resolution is probably even greater due to the other inherent limitations of the old NTSC composite interlaced tape format.
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 05:38 AM   #26
BeatleJWOL
Commander
 
BeatleJWOL's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

Well, if you don't own an HDTV, you don't really need Blu-rays, no...
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 06:27 AM   #27
Paper Moon
Commander
 
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

Wow, folks, calm down. Signing NewHorizon's petition takes a teeny-weeny-eensy bit of effort. I imagine it took him no more than an hour to set it up. He lets it sit and gather what signatures it will and then, after some amount of time, sends it off to CBS. That is, cumulatively, a very small amount of effort expended on this project.

I doubt CBS will redo S2 anytime soon, but they might eventually, and will be more likely to do so at some point if there's a petition with however many fans nicely asking them to.

Furthermore, something like this reminds them that the fans do care about this stuff.

Lastly, this petition is polite. This petition does not say, "I'm a crazy Trekkie and I demand that you fix every last continuity error in episode 28, such as when the Yamato's dedication plate clearly does not say 'Yamato,' but is rather an obvious and lazy reuse of the Enterprise bridge set," à la Comic Book Guy. NewHorizon has written a polite, nice letter saying that we care about this and would appreciate CBS considering bringing S2 up to S1's quality. It's reasonable and is frankly the kind of letter I would write if I was disappointed with a product put out by a local, Mom-and-Pop store.

He freely admits that it probably won't go anywhere, but he wants to give it a shot, because he gives a damn.

Where exactly is the harm in that?
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 01:03 PM   #28
Mutai Sho-Rin
Moderator
 
Mutai Sho-Rin's Avatar
 
Location: Orange, CA USA
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

BillJ wrote: View Post
Star Grinch wrote: View Post
I dunno, I'm the guy who sees no point in buying the BluRay sets that are just slightly better than my current DVD sets.
I really wish people would quit saying this, it's simply a lie. Not only is the picture more detailed, the colors are truer and the sound is better.

You don't want to shell out for the upgraded sets? Fine. But it's pretty poor to be spreading out-and-out falsehoods.
BillJ, your treading might close to the flaming line. Nothing Star Grinch says is a lie, not even close. If the story outweighs the image quality for him, it is a reasonable opinion. You need to back off.
__________________
Into the sands of blood comes the Sho-Rin, master of the Mutai. Babylon 5 - TKO
Mutai Sho-Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 01:41 PM   #29
TemporalFlux
Commodore
 
TemporalFlux's Avatar
 
Location: The End of Time
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

The only way I see this happening is if the corrected season two is released exclusive to a complete series set (thus encouraging a purchase of it). There would be a lot of people angry at the double dip, though.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:07 PM   #30
I-Am-Prepared!
Ensign
 
Re: Petition CBS to fix the problems with TNG:S2 Blu.

Wow, why all the vitriol towards the OP for setting up a petition? The quality of the restoration work on S2 is genuinely below-average in a number of ways, certainly compared to S1. I doubt a petition is going to make any difference, but the problems with this Blu-ray release are far from minor - I don't see the harm in fans making their disappointment heard.
I-Am-Prepared! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.