RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,705
Posts: 5,431,752
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 444
Newest member: kamkaran


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 24 2012, 03:46 PM   #406
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

gturner wrote: View Post
There are no American forces in Iraq! What you see is an illussion I tell you! We are slaughtering them everywhere. They are killing themselves with shovels.

Yeah, seen that one.
And you wonder why nobody ever takes your arguments seriously.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 04:03 PM   #407
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Squiggy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

NightmareB4Holmes wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post
NightmareB4Holmes wrote: View Post
an argument between one side wanting to ban guns as an answer to events like this, and people pointing out that mental illness and society are the driving factors
In wanting to own a gun? I agree.
I'm starting to think that the irrational fear of the gun banners is a clear sign of mental illness...
This is like you saying Trevon Martin had an irrational fear of being shot when he attacked Zimmerman..right before he was shot by Zimmerman.

It's not irrational to fear something that happens to people. It IS irrational to think you gun is going to do anything to protect you from the government.

Meanwhile, two firefighters have JUST been shot to death while responding to a housefire in Webster, NY. Should we arm them to?

NightmareB4Holmes wrote: View Post
I mean, being afraid of something simply because it's "black and scary"?
Also, it can kill someone.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!

Last edited by Squiggy; December 24 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 04:20 PM   #408
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View
 
Locutus of Bored's Avatar
 
Location: The Force
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

NightmareB4Holmes wrote: View Post
I'm starting to think that the irrational fear of the gun banners is a clear sign of mental illness...

I mean, being afraid of something simply because it's "black and scary"? Justifying its banning because it will come after your children? What does that sound like?
A pathetic attempt at comparing guns to black people in order to paint those proposing gun control measures as racists (not to mention mentally ill), something which you and gturner have both done now because your regular arguments fall flat and you have to distract attention from the subject matter however you can by provoking a response to your outrageous comments.

Infraction for trolling. Comments to PM.
__________________
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 05:09 PM   #409
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

Festivus Toad wrote: View Post
NightmareB4Holmes wrote: View Post
Shazam! wrote: View Post

In wanting to own a gun? I agree.
I'm starting to think that the irrational fear of the gun banners is a clear sign of mental illness...
This is like you saying Trevon Martin had an irrational fear of being shot when he attacked Zimmerman..right before he was shot by Zimmerman.

It's not irrational to fear something that happens to people. It IS irrational to think you gun is going to do anything to protect you from the government.

Meanwhile, two firefighters have JUST been shot to death while responding to a housefire in Webster, NY. Should we arm them to?

NightmareB4Holmes wrote: View Post
I mean, being afraid of something simply because it's "black and scary"?
Also, it can kill someone.
Aren't the other two fire fighters in intensive care?

Meanwhile the report I heard on the radio is that due to the police looking for the shooter, the fire continues to burn rather than being fought by the brave firefighters.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 05:46 PM   #410
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

^Which might be the point of the shootings in the first place -- to make sure the place burns down.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 06:54 PM   #411
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

Tora Noel wrote: View Post
^Which might be the point of the shootings in the first place -- to make sure the place burns down.
I heard on the radio that the police are now saying the fireman were specifically targeted.
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 07:16 PM   #412
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

Hey, here's something to lighten the mood for the holidays:

How many NRA members does it take to screw in a light bulb?

More guns!
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 08:25 PM   #413
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom
 
Peach Wookiee's Avatar
 
Location: Peach Wookiee
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

*Sighs* This is getting us nowhere. I already posted what I'm thinking about today in TNZ. The scores of presents unopened. The families looking at the holes where their loved ones should be. Gun control or no, improving mental illness treatment, school security... that doesn't matter to me at the moment. Watching my nieces open their presents will be bittersweet.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 12:20 AM   #414
Data Holmes
Admiral
 
Data Holmes's Avatar
 
Location: In Exile
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

NightmareB4Holmes wrote: View Post
Tora Noel wrote: View Post
^Which might be the point of the shootings in the first place -- to make sure the place burns down.
I heard on the radio that the police are now saying the fireman were specifically targeted.
So, it turned out that it was a known criminal, William Spengler age 62, who had served 17 years in jail for killing his 80 year old grandmother back in 1980. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2360280.html
__________________
We first fought... in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change. -Serj Tankian
Data Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 01:07 AM   #415
Shazam!
Rear Admiral
 
Shazam!'s Avatar
 
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

NightmareB4Holmes wrote: View Post
I mean, being afraid of something simply because it's "black and scary"? Justifying its banning because it will come after your children? What does that sound like?
Darth Vader?
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 03:51 PM   #416
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral
 
SmoothieX's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

Does paranoia count as mental illness?

I saw my cousin yesterday for Xmas. Apparently, she's going off the deep end with this fiscal cliff, bad economy, tightening of the middle class, etc. and is convinced her home will be targeted when the 'class warfare' breaks out, as they have money and the husband is away all week.

She's talking a loaded weapon with a 30 shot clip in just about every room. Not locked away, not keeping the bullets separate from the guns, and debating not keeping the safety on. Her though is optimize response time if soemeone breaks in.

She also has 3 young kids who will be bound to find them when they are snooping around to see what Santa or the Easter bunny will bring. There's just so much that can go wrong. I can totally imagine junior finding it, showing it off to his friends after school one day, and them fooling around with it just right and someone gets shot.

This doesn't address mass murdering crazies, but it's on topic. A lot of gun related injuries/death could be avoided by a little responsibility and safety.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 04:03 PM   #417
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

It's recognized as a mental disorder alright.

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
She's talking a loaded weapon with a 30 shot clip in just about every room. Not locked away, not keeping the bullets separate from the guns, and debating not keeping the safety on. Her though is optimize response time if soemeone breaks in.

She also has 3 young kids who will be bound to find them when they are snooping around to see what Santa or the Easter bunny will bring. There's just so much that can go wrong. I can totally imagine junior finding it, showing it off to his friends after school one day, and them fooling around with it just right and someone gets shot.
No offense, but sometimes the evil twisted bad guy inside me wishes that those people get shot by intruders with their own guns that were not locked away.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:32 PM   #418
Brolan
Commodore
 
Brolan's Avatar
 
Location: Backwoods Minnesota
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Does paranoia count as mental illness?

I saw my cousin yesterday for Xmas. Apparently, she's going off the deep end with this fiscal cliff, bad economy, tightening of the middle class, etc. and is convinced her home will be targeted when the 'class warfare' breaks out, as they have money and the husband is away all week.

She's talking a loaded weapon with a 30 shot clip in just about every room. Not locked away, not keeping the bullets separate from the guns, and debating not keeping the safety on. Her though is optimize response time if soemeone breaks in.

She also has 3 young kids who will be bound to find them when they are snooping around to see what Santa or the Easter bunny will bring. There's just so much that can go wrong. I can totally imagine junior finding it, showing it off to his friends after school one day, and them fooling around with it just right and someone gets shot.

This doesn't address mass murdering crazies, but it's on topic. A lot of gun related injuries/death could be avoided by a little responsibility and safety.
If you are at all serious about this you need to contact Social Services.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 07:17 PM   #419
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral
 
Kira's Mom's Avatar
 
Location: Kicking ass with MI-13.
View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

My aunt is a crazy tea party wingnut and bought guns because of the "shaira law" and Muslims taking over the country. I just hope none of her grandkids or step grandkids ever get a hold of them...
__________________
"I cannot believe I just took a picture of an action figure's ass." OdoWanKenobi
Etsy shop
Kira's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 07:32 PM   #420
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

My sympathies. I've known a couple of people who keep guns because they too believe that Big Gubmint Socialists and New World Order types will one day come to strip them of their liberties. It's ridiculous.

We live in one of the most stable and arguably the most successful democracy in all of human history and yet we have a delusional subculture who thinks police or soldiers are going to smash down their doors and confiscate their means of defending themselves as part of some sinister plot to shred the Constitution. Some are misguided and misinformed. Others aren't exactly right in the head. Still others are just plain stupid and probably shouldn't be trusted with the instructions on a shirt.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.