Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old December 26 2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

Most Powerful Sci-Fi Civilization

Was curious what everyone thinks could be the most powerful sci-fi civilization in science fiction. Let's for a moment forget about "Q" since we know they're omnipotent beings unmatched in Star Trek. Sure, Continuum are powerful but we already know this and we already know they could probably win for being the most powerful.

We have an assortment of ridiculously powerful beings, from Doctor Who's Time Lords and you have things like The Culture, The Foundation, The Forerunners (and maybe even grossly more powerful than them, the Precursors), The Leviathans (who were nearly wiped out by their own machines), The Gree, etc. ad nauseum.

Who do you feel would be able to at least come close, to say, Q and his race? Who is the most technologically, ridiculously powerful race in all of sci-fi?
Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 05:56 AM   #2
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Re: Most Powerful Sci-Fi Civilization

I might be suspected of bias, but the Daleks are the superior life form in the universe.
Old December 26 2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

They even figured how to go up stairs!!!!!
Old December 26 2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

Davros wrote: View Post
I might be suspected of bias, but the Daleks are the superior life form in the universe.
Well, if we're going by bias I would choose Precursors, even though we don't know anything about them. Heh. :P

But, seeing as how powerful the Forerunners were, it may be safe to say the Precursors are very much god-like. The Forerunners themselves had an empire that spanned millions of planets, built near solar system sized Dyson spheres, could traverse Slipspace accurately and even traveled to other dimensions (and to some degree, time), were able to digitize organic life in large quantities (the Composer), move planetary objects through slipspace and had intergalactic travel, created their own galaxy spanning "VR" (the Domain), built weapons that could destroy organic life on a galactic scale, etc. These guys were serious stuff! Now imagine the one's who came before them who also created them (and humans) and created the one threat that can devour entire galaxies and that's even ridiculously more powerful!
Old December 26 2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

The Q, as seen, can create an universe/a reality by snapping his fingers - omnipotent/beyond physical law, etc.

All the forerunner achievements you named are child's play by comparison - and certify that the forerunners were most definitely bound by physical law.

Not to mention, none of these ancient "god-like" civilizations were powerful/smart enough to prevent their own extinction. Which is more than enough to destroy any "god-like" mystique.
Old December 26 2012, 02:26 PM   #6
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

I believe we're looking for civilizations which don't quite qualify as "Sufficiently Advances Species".
Old December 26 2012, 02:31 PM   #7
Bob Morton
Lieutenant Commander

The Humans of the Greater Commonwealth (Peter F. Hamilton) are pretty powerful as they are, but when facing a superior adversary, become even more powerful as they learn from the war with the enemy.

Effective immortality, The Deterrence 'Fleet', Dyson Barrier Shielding, 100+ light year per hour ship speeds. They are not God-like, yet, and could probably be wiped out by a Q, but maybe a way could be found to bind the Q to the physical universe and limit the Magics.

Anyway I really root for the Humans and a positive future, maybe I'm biased.
Old December 26 2012, 02:37 PM   #8
MacLeod
Admiral

Davros wrote: View Post
They might be except for one minor little detail, they seem to keep losing to the Timelords, esp. the one known as The Doctor.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 03:38 PM   #9
Captain Nebula
Lieutenant Commander

A galaxy-spanning civilization that can make a planet-destroying laser in a mobile space station the size of a small moon. Although I hear that it's insignificant next to the power of the Force.
Captain Nebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 08:56 PM   #10
Harbinger
Lieutenant Commander

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
The Q, as seen, can create an universe/a reality by snapping his fingers - omnipotent/beyond physical law, etc.

All the forerunner achievements you named are child's play by comparison - and certify that the forerunners were most definitely bound by physical law.

Not to mention, none of these ancient "god-like" civilizations were powerful/smart enough to prevent their own extinction. Which is more than enough to destroy any "god-like" mystique.
That's why I wanted to keep "Q" out of this discussion. Heh. We already know him and Q's are grossly powerful. I think I probably wanted to keep more on track with a civilization that started off mortal/corporal and eventually climbed its way to the top. Q were all powerful beings since the beginning, as far as we know.

BTW Edit, yeah the Forerunners got pretty hurt badly, one might say but then there's the Precursors. They are considered Transentient. Nobody knows what happened with them but guesses are they left the galaxy and/or this universe. All we know about them is that they had technology that worked on "neural physics", seeing as how they believed the universe was a living thing and that at least one of them might have become a Gravemind (The Primordial/Timeless One).
Old December 26 2012, 08:58 PM   #11
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

I think the Borg meet that definition.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 11:30 PM   #12
Auralis
Captain

Perry Rhodan setting, Kosmokrats, Chaotrachs.
They live outside the known multiverse, in a realm that can can't be understand by beings from the multiverse. They can alter the laws of nature, create universes or destroy them. And of course anything simpler then that.
Auralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 12:31 AM   #13
Australis
Writer

Despite what m'co-named above says, the Culture. Hands down.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 01:39 AM   #14
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

The Asgardians from Marvel Comics (Thor) spring to mind.
Old December 27 2012, 09:35 AM   #15
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

The XeeLee from Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence, although they were ultimately defeated by the Photino Birds in this universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeelee_Sequence
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote