RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,653
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 593
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 25 2012, 08:10 AM   #31
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: New Empire magazine STID photos & story info [spoilers]

HolidayHuxtable wrote: View Post
These five year waits between uninspiring revenge fantasies are not my cup of Earl Grey.
That would make a great sig for a disillusioned TNG fan!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 11:42 AM   #32
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Enjoy...or not

I'm going with not.

These five year waits between uninspiring revenge fantasies are not my cup of Earl Grey.
Well said Doctor Huxtable.
Old December 25 2012, 12:05 PM   #33
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I'll bet the first nine minutes are the only time Kirk's in command.
We do see Kirk on the Enterprise and in command gold after he has supposedly been stripped of rank and gone rogue to capture Harrison. In promo pics and trailers.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 12:12 PM   #34
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: New Empire magazine STID photos

I suspect it'll go somewhat like this: Kirk's in command and something happens and Kirk loses his command and does something so he regains it in time for the final confrontation with bad guy.
Old December 25 2012, 03:15 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

throwback wrote: View Post
Relationship between Spock and Surak
In "Journey to Babel", it was learned that the relationship between Spock and Surak became strained after Spock chose to enter into Starfleet. It took a series of events aboard the Enterprise to change the trajectory of the relationship.
Surak was the philosopher who founded the Vulcan philosophy of logic nearly 2000 years ago. Sarek is Spock's father.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 03:37 PM   #36
throwback
Captain

I was tired when I wrote that post. Thanks for catching the mistake.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 08:43 PM   #37
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Earl Grey? This isn't TNG. ( thank god) Kirk's a coffee man.

That its a well done "revenge fantasy" is what matters. And I'm not sure "revenge fantasy" is exactly the term you're looking for.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 10:50 PM   #38
controlfreak
Commander

I think people should wait and see the film before deciding that it suxxx.
Old December 25 2012, 11:04 PM   #39
BillJ
Admiral

controlfreak wrote: View Post
I think people should wait and see the film before deciding that it suxxx.
Don't think anyone here thinks that it 'suxxx' before seeing it. Though I'm concerned that we seem to be hitting some of the same story points that we saw in the last film.
Old December 25 2012, 11:07 PM   #40
controlfreak
Commander

Star Trek hits a lot of common story points. They use the same family of characters and each story is some kind of continuation of the same characters in the same universe. The same can be said for every Trek movie that has come out since 1979. Somehow the fact that Abrams is doing it makes it not ok for some people. That's just petty.
Old December 25 2012, 11:12 PM   #41
BillJ
Admiral

Star Trek hits a lot of common story points. The same can be said for every Trek movie that has come out since 1979. Somehow the fact that Abrams is doing it makes it not ok for some people. That's just petty.
Can you show a sequence of Star Trek movies that go back-to-back-back with the same basic story points (Nemesis, Star Trek 2009 and Star Trek Into Darkness)? Bad guy with an axe to grind that can make a big bang...

It could be a great film, it could be a shitty film. If acknowledging that concept makes me petty, so be it.
Old December 25 2012, 11:20 PM   #42
controlfreak
Commander

How about Star Trek 2-4.. Spock gets killed, brought back to live, saves whales.. Kirk dealing with old age in pretty much all of them.. How about every super villain Kirk has fought in every film? How about Picard dealing with his loneliness and solitude being a ship captain? I could go on and on. I know nothing about the plot of this film so I can't conclude that the plot is the same as the 2009 film. Maybe you've already seen the film and can make that conclusion? And yes, of course you're being petty. Extremely. Carry on.
Old December 25 2012, 11:28 PM   #43
BillJ
Admiral

How about Star Trek 2-4.. Spock gets killed, brought back to live, saves whales.. Kirk dealing with old age in pretty much all of them.. How about every super villain Kirk has fought in every film? How about Picard dealing with his loneliness and solitude being a ship captain? I could go on and on. I know nothing about the plot of this film so I can't conclude that the plot is the same as the 2009 film. Maybe you've already seen the film and can make that conclusion? And yes, of course you're being petty. Extremely. Carry on.
Have you even seen the first ten films? Based on your description above, I'd say no. Might want to correct that before coming into a discussion that involves them...

TMP - Searching for its creator.
TWOK - Bad guy with an axe to grind who acquires the ability to make a big bang.
TSfS - Bad guy trying to acquire weapon for his government.
TVH - Probe comes looking for whales.
TFF - Spock's brother searching for God.
TUC - Conspiracy flick with the two sides working together so they can continue to hate each other.

Need I go on?
Old December 26 2012, 12:18 AM   #44
Christopher
Writer

Somehow the fact that Abrams is doing it makes it not ok for some people. That's just petty.
It's not about Abrams. It's about recentness. A decade ago, people were trashing Enterprise just as viciously. A quarter-century ago, there was widespread outrage about TNG. Before that it was the TOS movies, and before that it was the animated series. There have always been Trek fans who are vehemently hostile to whatever the newest incarnation of the franchise is, unable to tolerate the fact that it's different from what existed before. Yet the differences or continuity errors they denounce as unprecedented betrayals and corruptions are really no greater than the differences and continuity errors that have been part of the franchise all along. I've seen the cycle repeat over and over, so I can tell you -- whatever specific charges they level against the individual work or its individual creators are just the excuse. The real reason is that they're just uncomfortable with novelty. Which is sad, really, because Star Trek is supposed to be about facing the new and different with curiosity and wonder.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 12:54 AM   #45
blaXXer
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
TMP - Bad guy with an axe to grind with the ability to make a big bang.
TWOK - Bad guy with an axe to grind who acquires the ability to make a big bang.
TSfS - Bad guy trying to acquire weapon for his government. To make a big bang. also, has an axe to grind with Kirk.
TVH - Probe with the ability to make a big bang comes looking for whales. Has an axe to grind with Earth, since the whales are all dead.
TFF - Spock's brother searching for God to make a big bang. Has an axe to grind.
TUC - Klingon General with an axe to grind with the ability to make a big bang.
GEN - Scientist with an axe to grind with the ability to make a big bang.
FC - Borg have the ability to make a big bang THROUGH TIME! Picard has an axe to grind with them.
INS - Rua'fo has an axe to grind with his former people. Wants to wipe them out to make a big bang.
NEM - Picard's clone has an axe to grind with Romulus and Earth. Has the ability to make a big bang.
ST09 - Nero has an axe to grind with the past. Makes a big bang. Dies trying to make another.
FTFY
(fixed this for you)