Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 22 2012, 07:14 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: Just watched Clara's first scene (spoilers)

StCoop wrote: View Post
And today's lesson from Moffat-World... (Mental) Rape is funny.
How did you get there? Memory erasure is a common enough SF trope -- consider the Men in Black's neuralyzers, or the ST:TNG crew erasing memories to preserve the Prime Directive, or Professor X wiping bystanders' memories of the X-Men's presence. I don't think I've seen it likened to rape before. Sure, I can see how a rapist could exploit something like that, but that doesn't mean that applies to every use of it.

And I don't think the idea is for the Doctor's willingness to wipe people's memories to be funny. I think it's meant to be dark, to show how he's changed. What's funny is Strax bungling it so that he takes the hit instead of Clara.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 07:15 PM   #17
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

How is that remotely deducible from that the scene? If you say that the use of the memory worm is an act of rape, then it's the Doctor who, with Strax is about to commit it. The humor of the scene isn't found in the act they are going to perpetrate on Clara, it's found in the reversal of fortune upon Strax who goes to get the worm and doesn't use the gauntlet. On that level, there is no "rape," rather there is a reversal of fortune - a form of poetic justice, and there is nothing innately wrong with finding humor in a poetic reversal of fortune. Rather the reverse is often true (pun intended). I find your accusation sorely misplaced.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 12:28 AM   #18
Mitty
Vice Admiral

I'm wondering how long it is in the Doctor's personal time since Asylum of the Daleks, and how long it's going to take him to realise that somehow Clara and Oswin are connected. I'm still tipping that the way he'll work it out is that she'll somehow say something about Souffles.

EDIT meanwhile I'm guessing someone around here will do a poll/discussion thread fairly soon now?

Last edited by Mitty; December 23 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 01:46 AM   #19
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Mitty wrote: View Post
I'm wondering how long it is in the Doctor's personal time since Asylum of the Daleks, and how long it's going to take him to realise that somehow Clara and Oswin are connected. I'm still tipping that the way he'll work it out is that she'll somehow say something about Souffles.

The thing is though he never actually saw Oswin's human face did he?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 02:21 AM   #20
The Wormhole
Admiral

So wait, the Doctor condoning the use of a memory-erasing worm is upsetting people, but no one cared that Jack and the Torchwood gang drugged people to make them forget? Hell, in the pilot episode, Jack takes Gwen to a bar, and slips the retcon drug into her drink. That's practically date rape. But this is okay, but someone touching a worm has everyone upset?

There are times I wonder...
Old December 23 2012, 02:58 AM   #21
Christopher
Writer

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
So wait, the Doctor condoning the use of a memory-erasing worm is upsetting people... someone touching a worm has everyone upset?
"Everyone?" So far, exactly one person in this thread has found it upsetting.

Old December 23 2012, 03:05 AM   #22
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
So wait, the Doctor condoning the use of a memory-erasing worm is upsetting people... someone touching a worm has everyone upset?
And they were probably drunk.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 03:25 AM   #23
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
To be fair, somebody at Gallifreybase made a similar comment. I suppose they could be the same person, but, if not, that's a least two we know of. But, yeahm, c'mon let's be real here. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

DJ Mark Bisson

Say my name, and every color illuminates!
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 04:49 AM   #24
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Mitty wrote: View Post

The thing is though he never actually saw Oswin's human face did he?
Nope, she was fully converted by the time he got there. He just heard her say her name.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 09:07 AM   #25
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Why do I think Oswin getting hit with a memory wipe when she leaves the Doc is going to loop back around to set her up for Asylum of the Daleks?
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 03:13 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

SeerSGB wrote: View Post
Why do I think Oswin getting hit with a memory wipe when she leaves the Doc is going to loop back around to set her up for Asylum of the Daleks?
I doubt the Doctor's interest in memory wipes here will continue to be a part of his character. I think, as I said, it's meant to show that he's gone to a darker place, a place that Clara will help bring him out of.

And this isn't Oswin Oswald, it's Clara Oswin. We don't yet know how the two characters are connected.

Old December 25 2012, 05:37 PM   #27
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well beyond being the same hot girl? LOL

Although I didn't realize her last name is Oswin - they must be setting something up, honestly Moffat's who isn't that subtle, so either Clara gets left sometime in the past and forgets who she is, someone named Oswald is in the room and she's told "Her name's Oswin, Oswald." "Yes that's it, my name is Oswin Oswald."