Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you rate "The Dark Knight Rises"?
Excellent 147 58.33%
Good 61 24.21%
Fair 26 10.32%
Poor 12 4.76%
Terrible 6 2.38%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 22 2012, 09:25 PM   #1066
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

^ And, as Honest Trailers points out, why didn't they just blame it all on Joker and his cronies - you know, the guys who'd been randomly killing people all throughout TDK?
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 10:51 PM   #1067
Captrek
Rear Admiral

^ The Joker knows the truth about Dent. Since the lie apparently works until Bane spills the beans eight years later, that means the Joker was silenced, or he played along with the lie.

I should probably buy Greg’s book. Does it address these questions?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 11:04 PM   #1068
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Magus on a Star Trek wrote: View Post
^ The Joker knows the truth about Dent. Since the lie apparently works until Bane spills the beans eight years later, that means the Joker was silenced, or he played along with the lie.

That or anything the Joker said or claimed was dismissed as being the ramblings of a lunatic. I mean why NOT pin everything on him in order to preserve both the reputations of Dent and Batman? Shadier things are done and, really, in a round-about way the Joker was at fault. So pin it on him, detain him forever without a trial under the USA PATRIOT Act or something, toss him in Arkham and throw away the key.

07 Geese a Laying wrote: View Post
A few more observations after having seen the movie again…

- Fox couldn't have stopped Bane by flooding the area containing the bomb. Bane had already set everything up and just needed Fox's hand print.

- Batman diverted attention from Bane during the chase after the stock exchange incident. The ploice probably could have caught him if they hadn't decided to go after Batman.

- Kevin Smith discusses the movie here…

I disagree with one of his points. After having watched the trilogy all at once, I got the impression that Bruce hung up the cowl due to a combination of events in The Dark Knight, not just Rachel's death. Perhaps the "damage" done as Batman had gone far enough. And the job of rounding up the organized crime bosses was done anyway, so why not hang it all up.
I watched that the otherday and pretty much agreed with everything Smith said. Loved how they kept imitating the Bane voice.
Old December 22 2012, 11:47 PM   #1069
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post

That or anything the Joker said or claimed was dismissed as being the ramblings of a lunatic.
That possibility occurred to me as well, and I dismissed it as inconsistent with character and story. Considering how manipulative and successful he the Joker is at everything else, it’s inconceivable that he couldn’t find a way to puncture the lie if he wanted to.

We can even use that to rationalize the decision to pin the killings on Batman. Knowing that the Joker can undo any lie they tell about the murders, the only lie that can succeed is a lie the Joker would like and not want to ruin.

Of course, we still have the question of how the lie is established in the first place.

I mean why NOT pin everything on him in order to preserve both the reputations of Dent and Batman? Shadier things are done and, really, in a round-about way the Joker was at fault. So pin it on him, detain him forever without a trial under the USA PATRIOT Act or something, toss him in Arkham and throw away the key.
He would have to be silenced, but tossing him in Arkham wouldn’t do the trick. Key or no key, the Joker will eventually escape Arkham, or he isn’t the Joker.
Old December 23 2012, 01:14 AM   #1070
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
If Bruce hung up the cowl after TDK, why build a Batcave?
It could have been already under construction or pretty much completed when he quit.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 01:31 AM   #1071
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
That or anything the Joker said or claimed was dismissed as being the ramblings of a lunatic.
That possibility occurred to me as well, and I dismissed it as inconsistent with character and story. Considering how manipulative and successful he the Joker is at everything else, it’s inconceivable that he couldn’t find a way to puncture the lie if he wanted to.
You must be joking. Nolan has the papers reporting on Bruce's very public trip to China, and - boom! Batman appears in China. And yet, eight years later, people still haven't put the pieces together.

But the citizens of Gotham believing the police instead of Joker is unbelievable? When Joker has to prove a negative?

Riiiiigggghht.

He would have to be silenced, but tossing him in Arkham wouldn’t do the trick. Key or no key, the Joker will eventually escape Arkham, or he isn’t the Joker.
You're assuming some hot-blooded cop didn't murder him en route to wherever after the police got to him, with no textual evidence to back you up.

Batman taking the rap was a silly plot point written to provide a "wow, things sure look bad for Bats now!" cliffhanger, plain and simple.
Old December 23 2012, 02:41 AM   #1072
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

IIRC the papers didn't talk about Wayne taking a cruise to China, but taking a cruise in a more tropical locale with the ballet cast. Though, one wonders why the dancers didn't talk about the billionaire Wayne ditching the boat at some point to get on float plane. Then we have to wonder where THAT plane took Bruce (presumably to China?) where he changed into his Batman gear somewhere only to have ANOTHER plane with the skyhook system pick him up and somehow the process all has to undo itself.

At some point Bruce has to get back onto the "love boat" with the ballet to finish out that alibi but also Batman has to deliver Chang (?) to Gotham PD/MCU.

I guess Batman DID have a lot of time to prepare the hell out of that operation.
Old December 23 2012, 02:57 AM   #1073
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
But the citizens of Gotham believing the police instead of Joker is unbelievable? When Joker has to prove a negative?

Riiiiigggghht.
Sure, if all he does is say, “Hey everybody, Dent killed Wuertz,” the public might not believe him. My point was that the Joker is considerably more imaginative than you are and would have more up his sleeve than just his word.
Old December 24 2012, 11:48 AM   #1074
inflatabledalek
Captain

They couldn't have pinned Dent's death on the Joker as he'd already been arrested before Harvey took his fall. Even the GCPD aren't that dumb as to accept a guy in a cell miles away could have done it.
Old December 24 2012, 06:09 PM   #1075
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
They couldn't have pinned Dent's death on the Joker as he'd already been arrested before Harvey took his fall. Even the GCPD aren't that dumb as to accept a guy in a cell miles away could have done it.
And they don't want to admit that Joker had turned dent to the darkside so that leaves Batman to take the the fall.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 06:56 PM   #1076
MacLeod
Admiral

Immolatus wrote: View Post
what was the point of the bat-signal at the end? if Bruce was done with being batman then why have it?
I took it as a message from Bruce to Gordon to let him know that he was still alive.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 07:24 PM   #1077
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Immolatus wrote: View Post
what was the point of the bat-signal at the end? if Bruce was done with being batman then why have it?
I took it as a message from Bruce to Gordon to let him know that he was still alive.
The reason is that Bruce passed the reigns to a new Batman (Blake) and that if Gordon used the signal again, this new Batman would answer the call.
Old December 24 2012, 07:49 PM   #1078
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Reins, not reigns.

In other news Google is now interfering with access to this site as an alleged source of malware.
Old December 24 2012, 09:17 PM   #1079
jbny67
Commander

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Reins, not reigns.

In other news Google is now interfering with access to this site as an alleged source of malware.

I got that warning a couple times last night and today.
Rather annoying.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 05:59 AM   #1080
Gaith
Rear Admiral

inflatabledalek wrote: View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henchma...opular_culture