Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 23 2012, 09:36 PM   #16
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Where do I start?

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I just watched Rose and the next episode about the end of the world. I can't remember the title. It was close to midnight when I watched it. I do like it, so I'll keep watching. It's a good reason to keep Netflix.
Another question. Is there a continuity with all the series, or is each one a reboot? How will the answer affect my watching?

And if all of this companions are as cute as Rose, I'm definately watching more.

Oddly enough the episode about the end of the world was called "The End Of The World"

And as other have already said it's a continuation. So the 2005-Pres, is a continuation of the 1963-1989, 1996 run of the show.

But given the time travel nature of the show, time can be rewritten.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 09:43 PM   #17
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

I just watched Rose and the next episode about the end of the world. I can't remember the title. It was close to midnight when I watched it. I do like it, so I'll keep watching. It's a good reason to keep Netflix.
Another question. Is there a continuity with all the series, or is each one a reboot? How will the answer affect my watching?

And if all of this companions are as cute as Rose, I'm definately watching more.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the first two. A lot of long-time fans were luke-warm about the series at first. But everyone agrees that things start to shift into high gear by episode six. So you're in for a treat.

The best comparison I can think is to a comic book. Companions come and go, the Doctor changes his appearance from time to time, old enemies return, and (since its 2005 return) most series have had their own mini-arc's that are resolved in a big season finale. But the overall universe has pretty much stayed the same since 1963.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 04:20 PM   #18
Redfern
Commodore

Another notable difference between the 2005 (and onward) series and the 1963-89 era is the episodic structure. Most episodes today are more or less self contained with about 45 minutes running time, a lesser number are "two parters" the first ending upon a "cliff-hanger".

The original series stories usually spanned an average of 4 to 6 episodes each running roughly 22 minutes. There were exceptions, of course. A few stories ran just two episodes, others were 7 to 10, especially during the first two Doctors' eras. Ecah episode ended upon a cliff-hanger. Think of them as the television equivalent to the the old Republic theater serials like Commando Cody, or even the earlier ones like Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers from the 30s.

Some people, when they watch one of these in "omnibus" format (back to back in a single setting), may find the material bit repetitive, but keep in mind these segments were originally aired at weekly intervals, and at a time before the convenience of domestic video playback technology, they were scripted to recap plot elements the viewer may have forgotten from a week earlier.

Speaking of cliff-hangers", during the earliest years, even stories led directly into the next. Example, at the end of the fourth broadcast when the Doctor and the rest have escaped the ...bleep...to the safety of the TARDIS, they materialize upon a different planet and time and decide to explore the surroundings. As they exit the craft, a radiation metter upon the console climbs into the danger zone as the scene fades to black. In later years, those last episodes of each 'story" would conclude with a bit more finality.

Just something to keep in mind when you finally start watching the "classics". Personally, I LOVE them. I started with the fourth Doctor (as did many other US viewers when various PBS stations started airing the show in the early 80s), so that's my Who. Just remember they are a product of their time and how television in general was produced back then.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 05:00 PM   #19
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

^^ That's really the best way to put it... Product of it's time.. Budgets were low, even when the series was at its highest as far as ratings go. The show was serialized, much like our old movie serials of the 30's, 40's and 50's, so there was a lot of running around and filler (IMHO) that can make some of the classic shows a bit tedious... That said, there were some really good stories coming out of the classic Who era and so some of them are not to be overlooked.
Old December 24 2012, 08:53 PM   #20
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Otoh, that extra length meant there was more time to devote to characterization. Especially villains, so you ended up with baddies who IMO were a lot more memorable than the current crop.

It took a lot of us classic fans awhile to get used to the shorter, more rushed story format.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old December 24 2012, 08:57 PM   #21
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ I never owned any DVD's until the new series, so with the 20 years off (not counting the movie), I didn't have any problem adjusting to the new format
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 10:39 PM   #22
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I just finished watching Dalek. I would say the quality is definately improving. Somehow, I'm not too attached to the Doctor, though.I suppose that even though I've never seen it before, I still managed to have my own preconception of how he'd behave. Maybe I was expecting someone not so chaotic. Is that the right word? It will be interesting to see how other incarnations of him will be.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 11:11 PM   #23
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I just finished watching Dalek. I would say the quality is definately improving. Somehow, I'm not too attached to the Doctor, though.I suppose that even though I've never seen it before, I still managed to have my own preconception of how he'd behave. Maybe I was expecting someone not so chaotic. Is that the right word? It will be interesting to see how other incarnations of him will be.
Not so chaotic? That's a tough one, Eccelston (First Doctor Actor in the Revival Series) is one of the least chaotic of all the portrayals of the Doctor in Classic or NuWho

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 12:57 AM   #24
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Shows what I know! Considering before this week I never even saw an episode, my ignorance is understandable. Oh, well, I'm enjoying getting educated.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 01:54 AM   #25
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Don't worry. You get used to it.
Old December 25 2012, 05:37 AM   #26
intrinsical
Commodore

I was in your shoes too, coming in as a total newbie when I first watched Rose. For the longest time, I could not puzzle out who or what The Doctor is. Is he a do-gooder or someone more like Loki? Human or Alien? What drives him? Why does he do the things he do?

It took me till the beginning of the David Tennant era before I can truly say I have an inkling of what kind of person The Doctor is.
Old December 25 2012, 05:37 AM   #27
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Honestly what got me into Dr. Who was that Epic Rap Battles of History Doc Brown VS Dr. Who (Actually if you don't mind, it's just the Doctor!) and this Women of Dr. Who special they ran on BBC and I kinda got a little sample of 'nuWho' and it sort of whetted my appetite, I do remember watching some of Eccelston's run and a couple of Tennant episodes on PBS - but thanks to the magic that is Netflix - I decided to start with the 10th Doctor's first episode and go from there. I'm in the 4 series now and I have to say within the past month I have reeeally gotten into it.

My only lament about nuWho is... the seasons are so short! I guess I'm used to Star Trek or Stargate's like 23-22 episode seasons, so only getting 12-14 is kind of like "aww man it's already the finale?" And I know Tennant's time is almost done. But I do think something like Netflix is a great way to get a new watcher interested. You can hit up a random 'good' episode or just start at the get-go and go fromt here. I was going to start with Matt Smith's first episode, but I felt like I really needed to know more about the previous series before I could appreciate it better. I dunno why I skipped Eccelston's season, but I do recall watching maybe most of it already years ago, so I wanted to see something different before revisiting that.

I haven't watched any of the Classic Who straight through, besides a few clips on YouTube. So that may be my next stop - or check out Torchwood.

I've been looking for a new series to get into since I've already watched all the Star Trek seasons, SG1 and BSG so Dr. Who was a natural and at least it's still being produced so when I finish the back catalog, I can still look forward to new stuff!
Old December 25 2012, 05:43 AM   #28
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

intrinsical wrote: View Post
I was in your shoes too, coming in as a total newbie when I first watched Rose. For the longest time, I could not puzzle out who or what The Doctor is. Is he a do-gooder or someone more like Loki? Human or Alien? What drives him? Why does he do the things he do?

It took me till the beginning of the David Tennant era before I can truly say I have an inkling of what kind of person The Doctor is.
I think Tennant's run helped really define/redefine who and what the Doctor is at his core. And how he was pretty damaged and angry and hurt in his 9th regeneration but Rose helped change all that and how he was able to move past it into the quirky, more complete Time Lord he eventually became by Matt Smith's run - of course I think I still like Tennant the best, but I'm slowly getting to like him too. Although any Who fan has to watch the "Time Crash" special where Tennant's Doctor meets Davidson's Doctor (who incedentally became his father in law - after he married Jenny aka Georgia Moffat - Davidson's real life daughter in like 2011)
Old December 25 2012, 06:25 AM   #29
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Here's a taste of some of what new viewers have to look forward to. Watching this fan video never fails to get me excited about the show. Its 50 years of Doctor Who compressed into seven minutes.

I don't THINK it gives away any major spoilers.

Last edited by Cutter John; December 25 2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old December 25 2012, 01:05 PM   #30
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

That was excellent, someone put a lot of effort into that.

It's got me right in the mood for later, 5 hours to go.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote