TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Children Of The Storm.
Outstanding 64 52.89%
Above Average 41 33.88%
Average 11 9.09%
Below Average 1 0.83%
Poor 4 3.31%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 6 2012, 12:45 PM   #256
DAYoung
Commander

View DAYoung's Twitter Profile
Re: VOY: Children of the Storm by Kirsten Beyer Review Thread (Spoiler

Just finished Beyer's Children of the Storm. Very nicely put together. I've already noted its virtues above.

One final thought: Beyer is clearly aware of the parent's divided heart, and puts it on the page clearly and with feeling, with Miral and her parents. I see Beyer is also a new parent, combining work (writing) with parenthood. Another 'up yours' to Cyril Connolly's 'pram in the hall'.
DAYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 03:30 AM   #257
JD
Admiral

Like I said in the what are you reading thread, I just started reading this today, and after the prologue and half the first chapter I'm already very impressed. The prologue alone was already pretty awesome.
Old August 13 2012, 01:53 PM   #258
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Oh you just hold on.
Old August 13 2012, 06:29 PM   #259
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Oh you just hold on.
Awesome just doesn't cover it, unless you add some freaking to it, with generous helpings of stupendously brilliant to top it off - and that still doesn't do it justice.

There's a reason people have added the initials M.F. as Kirsten Beyer's middle name(s).

Just sayin'...

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 08:53 PM   #260
JD
Admiral

On Chapter 2 now. I really hope Farkas didn't actually die at the end of the scene in the prologue. She's cool, and I'd hate to see the character killed off so soon after her introduction.
Old October 20 2012, 03:41 AM   #261
Tiberius13
Cadet

Gosh, I am so far behind in my Trek reading -- but I just finished this novel. I will keep this short but put simply WOW.

I will admit that VOY is not my favorite series by any means despite its merits. Kirsten, you have made it my favorite series currently in Treklit. It is by far the most fully realized and heartfelt series of books going right now.

I love the fleet and all its many captains and personalities. There is so much fertile ground to explore here! I can't wait to see where it goes and I'm rushing out to get The Eternal Tide as soon as I can make the time for it.

Thank you, Kirsten. Please continue your wonderful work.
Tiberius13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 08:46 AM   #262
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Tiberius13 wrote: View Post
I love the fleet and all its many captains and personalities. There is so much fertile ground to explore here! I can't wait to see where it goes and I'm rushing out to get The Eternal Tide as soon as I can make the time for it.
Old December 24 2012, 10:52 PM   #263
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

Really, really good book. I gave it an above average only because I try to make sure I don't suffer from grade creep and save outstandings for Destiny type quality but this is pretty damn close.

I liked the fact that we don't just focus on the Voyager crew because, hey, we've got a fleet. Reminded me of the Titan book Sword of Damocles which focused on non TV crew members. The aliens were interesting and the ended didn't seem like it was pulled out of a hat. I really liked the Demeter crew story. This is the best of the Beyer re-launch books so far.

And you couldn't imagine how uninterested I am in posts in a book review thread from people telling us why they aren't reading the books. Didn't care the last 2 books, don't care now.

The comments about Beltran only being in it for the money, blah, blah, blah. At least he spoke out about how vapid his character was. There's not enough of that. Want to guess how long I or most of us here would stay at our jobs if we didn't need the money? And there was a LOT more money involved for any of the Voyager actors then what we're making. Of course they are going to stick around. I'm sure the Denise Crosby experience is on any Star Trek actors mind when they are thinking about leaving the show.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote