CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 23 2012, 05:01 PM   #46
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: It's not just a new control room...

The Stig wrote: View Post
Cripes, it's like all the crappy details from old Who are coming back. The ridiculous face in the credits, the boring and sterile control room.

What the hell, Moffat?

It's all awesome stuff! No worries, I'm sure the show will still be great!

I quite like the changes, with the possible exception of the vast expanse of dull floor. However, I'm expecting they'll film it using angles that minimize the floor.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 06:54 PM   #47
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The Stig wrote: View Post
Cripes, it's like all the crappy details from old Who are coming back. The ridiculous face in the credits, the boring and sterile control room.
Good.
That tell'd 'im.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 07:43 PM   #48
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

So much hate and negativity and the show has not even been shown yet. lol

I personally am really looking forward to it, and i dont really care what they have changed, there is so little for me to watch on TV at present that i grab with both hands stuff like Dr Who, red dwarf, HIGNFY, WILTY and anything with Brooker in it.....these few programmes are like water to a thristy man in the craptastic desert that is UK TV 99% of the year.

Roll on xmas day.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 08:04 PM   #49
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Then again, I don't think they've ever gotten better than the very original credits and there is no face or vortex or space there.
Actually, the howlaround in the original title sequence was the vortex. The same footage, unedited, is used when the TARDIS takes off in "An Unearthy Child".

Go to about the 1:30 mark.
Old December 23 2012, 10:02 PM   #50
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Thanks Crow. I've always loved that the Doc was kind of a dick back in those days.

Some call it sterile. I call it high tech.

And don't forget the stairs in the back of that photo. No doubt there's a lower level to the control room. Who knows whats down there.

OMG, hurry up Christmas!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 01:02 AM   #51
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

captain crow wrote: View Post
Then again, I don't think they've ever gotten better than the very original credits and there is no face or vortex or space there.
Actually, the howlaround in the original title sequence was the vortex. The same footage, unedited, is used when the TARDIS takes off in "An Unearthy Child".

I love the Hartnell control room, always have.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 01:13 AM   #52
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

captain crow wrote: View Post

Good point. So I guess I'll start the petition to bring back the vortex.
Old December 26 2012, 02:55 PM   #53
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
If that's true, fantastic! However, I am very curious to see how new fans (ranging all the way back to '05) will react. They've never seen such a thing and they might freak out.
I didn't freak out. I did think it looks tacky. (Also not a fan of the new arrangement, at least on screen - but I like the S5 version on the soundtrack without the lightning effects, so maybe this one will grow on me once I can hear it as written.)

I love the new control room, though.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 09:49 PM   #54
RoJoHen
Awesome

New theme is okay, but I really don't like the new control room. It's just such a drastic change from the last one, and it's so dark. Give it some brighter lighting, and I might be okay with it, but right now it's just depressing.
Old December 26 2012, 09:58 PM   #55
MacLeod
Admiral

Well to be fair, the TV Movie control room could be a considered a drastic change from the McCoy control room, just as the 9th/10th doctor control room could be considered a drastic change from the McGann one, then of course the first 11th Docotr one could be considered a drastic change from the previous one.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2012, 10:04 PM   #56
RoJoHen
Awesome

I don't mind drastic changes, necessarily. When 11 got his first control room, it was because the old one got destroyed when 10 blew up.

I suppose this new control room could be reminiscent of the Doctor's state of mind. His last one was full of bright lights and goofy controls; he was happy and married and loving his travels with the Ponds. Once he lost them, maybe that old control room held too many memories for him, so he stripped it down to its barest essentials.
Old December 26 2012, 10:28 PM   #57
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well they never did state just how long the Doctor was up in the clouds with his Tardis - maybe he was just playing with the "desktop themes" and that was just one of them that he wanted to try out. Y'know how when you're bored and you start checking out new wallpapers or screensavers or other themes on your computer, not because it really needed to be changed, but it was just something to do to pass the time.

It's kinda neat - looks less "Farscape" than the previous two. Especially the 9th/10th Doctor's - honestly I remember when I first saw a picture of the Tardis control room somewhere online I thought it was a set for some new Farscape thing.

I'll admit - the other two looked "alien" and kinda goofy - this one looks like a proper control room, who knows maybe he'll actually be able to hit the right marks instead of getting way off base now. Although I suppose since we know that the Tardis likes effin' with him like that... who knows. But when 9 and 10 had a mallet on a rope to smack the controls... how accurate could it REALLY be?
Old December 27 2012, 03:12 AM   #58
SeerSGB
Admiral

View SeerSGB's Twitter Profile

Well he was "retired", so it's possible that this is just the default setting for a Tardis control room. More of less, he's just hold up and moping about and anything that exhibits his old personality he's trying to bury. I get a feeling that the new roundels, with the red LEDs, are some sort of holographic projector or Gallifreyan tech that constructs the control rooms we're used to seeing.
SeerSGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 02:11 PM   #59
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ I would think if there is a default setting, it would be much like we saw in Unearthly Child.

#1 probably wouldn't have changed it by that point & the TARDIS went and got itself stuck as a 1960's police box.

Of course #1 might have had it for a couple hundred years by that point, so Who knows?
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 04:40 PM   #60
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

The control room just didn't work for me. It's too dark. And, I'm a fan of the control rooms in the original series. I love Hartnell's!

I really liked 11's previous control room quite a bit. Oh well, I'm sure it'll grow on me.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote