CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old December 22 2012, 04:48 AM   #31
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: If big budget/shiny SFX space opera is out of the question...

The OP's proposal is reasonably similar to the original concept for Enterprise.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 08:08 PM   #32
xortex
Commodore

Some fan films do Trek differently than Tos with no budget and I would watch them week to week.
Handel was very successful doing oratorios with no sets and no production values at all. He found he didn't need them. The story and the music was enough.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 02:23 AM   #33
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

xortex wrote: View Post
Some fan films do Trek differently than Tos with no budget and I would watch them week to week.
Handel was very successful doing oratorios with no sets and no production values at all. He found he didn't need them. The story and the music was enough.
Fan Films do 1 episode a year at best since they're all volunteers. Try to do even 13 episodes a year and you need to pay people and suddenly you now have a budget.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 12:47 PM   #34
Mage
Commodore

Festivus Toad wrote: View Post
1966-2005 Star Trek is dead. You're not going to see it, or anything based on it anymore.
Unless you read the books. Which a lot of us do.
Old December 23 2012, 12:50 PM   #35
Mage
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Enterprise was always about actually going out there, right? My idea is based more on something Earth centered. Not actually visiting other worlds, but seeing what First Contact did on Earth itself. You could start about 5 years after First Contact, and see what's happening on Earth.
Old December 23 2012, 06:55 PM   #36
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Mage wrote: View Post
Enterprise was always about actually going out there, right? My idea is based more on something Earth centered. Not actually visiting other worlds, but seeing what First Contact did on Earth itself. You could start about 5 years after First Contact, and see what's happening on Earth.
The first season of ENT was supposed to be on earth before the ship left.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 07:59 PM   #37
Mage
Commodore

AviTrek wrote: View Post

Really? I never knew that. Wished they did that, would have been very interesting IMO.
Old December 23 2012, 08:22 PM   #38
Screamy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Screamy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Screamy

Festivus Toad wrote: View Post
1966-2005 Star Trek is dead. You're not going to see it, or anything based on it anymore.
Unless you read the books. Which a lot of us do.
Bully for you. However book sales does not a television series make.

Nor has anything in any book written actually "happened".

Trade disputes.
Old December 23 2012, 08:43 PM   #39
Elvira
Vice Admiral

AviTrek wrote: View Post
My idea is based more on something Earth centered.
An idea they dropped at some point. DS9 was original going to be based almost exclusively aboard the station, to continue producing interesting stories, they changed to the station being the "home-base."

"Earth slowly becoming a global community," it sounds overly political. So does "Vulcans guiding humanity." Star Trek has featured politics of course, but that has never been the core of any of the series. Too many story lines centered on "building the interstellar coalition" is one of the reasons ST: Enterprise's ratings simply died.

Usually Mage, when pitching a new idea to a network, you'd walking with a few sample script outlines (at least). Who would be your major characters? Where is the center of your story, the politics, the Vulcans, rebuilding the war torn areas, Cochrane? You can't have the story too segmented, can't jump around too much.

I can see how the Post Atomic horrors wouldn't be entertaining to watch, but since it's a part of canon, some fans will bitch and whine if it wasn't in there.
A nice work around for that would be ... I figure that just like "world wars" of the past, the third world war effected only certain geographical portions of the Earth and it's population.The major impact for the world in general would be the failure of international infrastructure and commerce.

Six and a half percent of Humans died, leaving over ninety-three percent alive, most of them physically removed from the direct effects of war and combat. The "post atomic horrors" would involve a fraction of the Human race. Perhaps only a handful of cities.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 12:50 AM   #40
robau
Lieutenant Commander

A show about the invention of the replicator and how it changes the world would be fascinating. Evil corporations and dictatorships could provide the conflict.
robau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 07:21 PM   #41
xortex
Commodore

Campy can be very similar to cheap.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 04:26 AM   #42
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

robau wrote: View Post
A show about the invention of the replicator and how it changes the world would be fascinating. Evil corporations and dictatorships could provide the conflict.
But it wouldn't be Star Trek. I watch the show because I want to see spaceships and aliens and weird shit going on out in the cosmos.
Old December 25 2012, 08:39 AM   #43
Elvira
Vice Admiral

A show, no. An episode maybe.

Like the episode of ENT about the guy who invented the transporter.

Now, if the replicator was originally invented by a partnership of evil corporations and dictatorships, that would be interesting.

Elvira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25 2012, 03:13 PM   #44
Mage
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
But it wouldn't be Star Trek. I watch the show because I want to see spaceships and aliens and weird shit going on out in the cosmos.
Star Trek was a show that was supposed to show us society's issues through a big layer of make-up and special effects. But that make-up, those effects, they weren't what the show was about. And that's why I personally feel that a show set a few years after First Contact, showing how humanity is leaving things like racial issues, global war, poverty and general useless behaviour we find so fantastic these days behind them.
Old December 25 2012, 06:53 PM   #45
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Star Trek was a show that was supposed to show us society's issues...
Not really. First and foremost, Trek is an adventure series in space. Society issues, modern day allegories, etc.,--all that stuff is really incidental. It's not what really drives Trek, although it is an often cited and hailed aspect of it. When looked in its entirety, the bulk of Trek stories do consist of spaceships and weird shit going on out in the cosmos.