RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,704
Members: 24,207
Currently online: 755
Newest member: MaileDetty

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old December 20 2012, 09:18 AM   #1726
flemm
Fleet Captain

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
Ah, but it is only because Sisko chose to be "of Bajor" that the Prophets created him to be so. That's the thing about the Prophets, they're not linear.

Yeah, I'm fine with it for that reason. If anything, it underlines the non-linear nature of the Prophets even moreso than what was done previously in the pilot and the Emissary trilogy.

I'm not in love with the idea or anything, but I think it's a natural extension of what had been established previously about how the Prophets operate.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 02:53 PM   #1727
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Seven of Five wrote: View Post
It was a good move to develop the Trill that way, (whom I find interesting, so to you TGB!)
I suppose if you like humans then you'll like the Trill, because we're virtually identical, except for the spots.

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
Unlike Jesus, the Sisko made good on his Second Coming.
In fairness, he has only been gone for 2,000 years or so, and Earth still has 5 billion years left on the clock. Have some patience.

Take Me Out to the Holosuite (**½)

Everything I know about baseball, I learned from playing Wii Sports. So what I mostly know is that tennis is more fun... and golf... and bowling, and boxing. Essentially, baseball is the most boring to play of all the Wii Sports. It's also the most boring to watch. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't like baseball. I don't really like watching any sports, but baseball would be near the bottom of the list of sports I would watch if I cared enough to make such a list. So an episode about baseball isn't something I expected nor wanted from Deep Space Nine. But a baseball episode is what I've got... and it's okay.

In many ways, this episode suffers from the same over-indulgence problems as His Way. The writers clearly wanted to do a baseball episode even though they write for a show set on a space station in the 24th century, so they concocted some outlandish reason to do a baseball episode. It's not as big a problem as His Way because the characters at least acknowledge that this whole situation is a bit stupid, and this episode is pure fluff that doesn't impose itself on any character arcs. It's also one of DS9's few ensemble episodes, particularly in the latter seasons. DS9 episodes typically break the characters off into small groups, which is a by-product of having a large extended cast. It's not often that we get to see the whole crew working together, and having fun no less, so that works in this episode's favour.

Then there's the Vulcans. I know some people don't like the way the Vulcans act in this episode, but it's yet another thing that doesn't really bother me. Vulcans have always had a rather smug, superior attitude, even Spock, so I don't have an issue with the fact that some Vulcans would take that attitude too far. Honestly, I look down on some of the "unenlightened" cultures on our world, the ones that repress women, homosexuals and others. Some Vulcans are going to feel the same way about us "unenlightened", emotional species. At the end of the day, the Vulcans are probably right, they're probably smarter than humans and superior to us in countless ways. But we take more joy from life, so aren't we the real winners in the end? No, but we'll continue to tell ourselves that to make us feel better.

Form of... an umpire: 34
Old December 21 2012, 05:34 AM   #1728
flemm
Fleet Captain

It's also one of DS9's few ensemble episodes, particularly in the latter seasons.
Yeah, I think this episode and Badda Bing are mostly justifiable from that point view: a chance to get the main ensemble together for some light-hearted fun, let us see them together as an extended family for a while before the show enters the late-season war arc and the characters all eventually go their separate ways.

Was it absolutely necessary to do this? Maybe not, but I think it has its place.

One reason I really like season two is the fun group dynamic, with the main cast playing off one another, that tends to get lost a bit in the later seasons. You tend to get a sense of the station as a community at that point in the show. Maintaining that was understandably not a huge priority, but it is good to get everyone together, if nothing else to remind us of the friendships that have been built, and will soon be torn apart.

My qualms with both episodes really are the holodeck setting of both (I think at least one of these light-hearted episodes should have used the main promenade/station as the setting, and/or Quark's bar). Or maybe we only need one of these episodes, not both.

I also agree about the over-indulgent quality, though the baseball thing at least has been a well-established interest of Sisko's from the beginning.

Last edited by flemm; December 21 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old December 21 2012, 11:52 AM   #1729
apenpaap
Commodore

Everything I know about baseball, I learned from playing Wii Sports.
Everything I know about baseball I learned from this episode. I'm not interested in baseball at all either, but like this ep a great amount anyway.
Old December 21 2012, 02:57 PM   #1730
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Chrysalis (****)

This episode was good, entertaining and had some epic moments that I'm sure will be important in season 2, but it didn't have the shocking twist that I was expecting. The assassination of President Santiago encapsulates all this this, it's an exciting situation, it's suitably epic and the consequences of this aren't going to be forgotten (I'm assuming), but it was telegraphed well ahead of time that something was going to happen, and ultimately I didn't feel anything about his death because Santiago hasn't been a real presence this season. Sure, it was mentioned that he was elected back in the first episode of the season, and we saw his ship at the station one time, but we never met him or had a firm grasp of how important he was. There were times when he felt like a figurehead and that the real power laid with the military or the PsiCorps. Watching EarthForce One exploding was awesome, but I have little reason to care about it right now.

Wait, I think I'm reviewing the wrong space-station based show.

Chrysalis
(**½)

BASHIR: Tell me, do you love me?
SARINA: I don't know. I don't even understand what love is. I don't understand anything.
BASHIR: Sarina.
SARINA: What am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to feel? Tell me.
I think we can all sympathise with Sarina here, for her struggle to understand love is something we all go through at some point in our lives. I think the sentiment was summed up best by Haddaway's 1992 masterpiece: "What is love? Baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me, no more." Now hit that funky beat.

Emissary (****)

The moment I saw that blue comet, I knew I was home.

Emissary probably isn't a great introductory episode if you're a first-timer, the first half is a little chaotic and the second half gets quite weird. But when you know of all the directions the show will take, the paths these characters will go down over the next seven years, this episode acquires a whole new level of appreciation. Sisko's relationship with the Prophets, the Cardassian threat, the looming civil war on Bajor, Odo's origin... All of these seeds, and more, are planted in this episode to be expanded upon later. It has been said it before but it bears repeating, DS9's strength wasn't in that the writers planned things out in advance, but that they were very good at taking threads from previous episodes and tying them into future plots.

Chrysalis (**½)

Sarina Douglas. Forbidding. Aloof. Terrifying. The mutant with the biggest tits on the promenade... I'm not starting again.

Chrysalis is an unusual episode to review because it seems to be another romance of the week episode, but sort of ends up being the opposite of the romance of the week formula. I had a joke lined up when I saw the first scene that Bashir was lonely so he latched onto the first woman that showed him any attention, but the joke was on me because that's exactly what the episode was trying to do. Bashir wasn't really in love with Sarina, he just wanted to believe that things were changing for him so he dived head first into a relationship with one of his patients and ended up putting pressure on her that she couldn't bear. When compared to most other Trek romance episodes, this is a surprisingly mature angle on a really tired format.

But this episode is still using that really tired format for the most part. A man/woman shows up on the station/ship, has a brief fling with one of the main characters, circumstances force them to part and the main character is left heartbroken (for 20 minutes). For the first half-hour, this episode follows that format to a T, it's only in the last ten minutes or so that it becomes apparent that this episode is trying something different, but it still has the same end result. Even the Jack Pack can't do much to set this episode apart from all the other romance of the week episodes.

BASHIR: I'm going to miss you.
SARINA: You won't forget me?
BASHIR: Forget you? Never.
Ha!
Old December 21 2012, 05:00 PM   #1731
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I find the episode increasingly creepy for the "Doctor falls in love with patient" vibe.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 09:52 PM   #1732
Seven of Five
Commodore

I was about to bitch slap you for giving Chrysalis a better grade than Take Me Out, until I noticed it was B5. So I take my bitch slap back. For now...

I really like the baseball episode, as it's a lot of fun seeing the hopeless Niners trying to help Sisko settle his old score. I think it suffers from being yet another fluff episode, yet I'd rank it higher than some of the iffy season six offerings. I'd rank it higher than Chrysalis too.

I'm not a fan of baseball either, but since the rest of the crew can't play, it doesn't seem to matter much. They're going to help their friend, and they all going have fun doing it. Odo as the umpire was an inspired choice, and I loved O'Brien making scotch-infused gum.

Romance of the week part 79423 is a strange one. It tries not to be a romance of the week, and yet has all the same trappings. I agree that it's a more mature take on the subject, yet the Bashir/Sarina pairing is a bit too dull to make me care. The episode is worth rewatching purely for more zany Zack Pack energy, and also for the cute Do Re Mi scene.
Old December 21 2012, 10:04 PM   #1733
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS

DonIago wrote: View Post
I find the episode increasingly creepy for the "Doctor falls in love with patient" vibe.
True..and Bashir saying to her something about "Lets just leave and go to Risa" does not make any sense, considering there is a war going on I doubt Sisko would give him leave anyways. The episode would have been much better without the whole romance stuff, IMHO.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 02:39 AM   #1734
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Take Me Out to the Holosuite was one of my favorite episodes. After all the serious episodes, it provided a breath of fresh air, and I'll blatantly admit I'm a huge baseball fan, and as much as Sisko has raved over baseball the past six seasons, we needed at least one episode for continuity's sake.

Chrysalis, well.... when you can sum up the episode with Bashir gets lonely/horny and seduces his emotionally vulnerable female patient, the episode has a creepy level all over it. At least Bashir realized how creepy he was being too by the end. You kind of feel sorry for Sarina at the end of it all. She's grateful, but creeped out which makes perfect sense given how isolated she's been her whole life. For some reason I did like the antics of the Jack Pack singing too. Otherwise an average episode at best, with an interesting take on the dead horse romance of the week.
Old December 22 2012, 06:01 AM   #1735
Sykonee
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Sykonee

Accordion Haddaway is far creepier than any vibe I got from Bashir. Plus, having that "Start Again" dude looking at me over and over, it's like I'm in carnival that ain't quite right.
Old December 23 2012, 03:30 AM   #1736
callea
Ensign

Here's one more person who found Julian super creepy in Chrysalis. The ep does try to acknowledge the creepiness, by having it drive Sarina back into herself. That helps a bit, but the ending doesn't quite seem to recognize the extent of the wrongness. Sarina may be intellectually advanced, but she was socially and emotionally disabled. So it comes off as a doctor taking advantage of a mentally challenged women because he's lonely.

Also putting it together with other actions of Julian's paints him in a very bad light. He seems quite a creeper when you combine his actions in Chrysalis with also stepping over the dr/patient line in Melora and his later willingness to use medial test results as an excuse to get Ezri to come talk to him. Any one of those I'm ok with, but all 3 indicate a pattern of ignoring medical ethics to pick up women. I really like Julian aside from those things, so I choose to erase Melora and Chrysalis from memory to maintain my teenage fan girl crush.

Aside from the creep factor, the major nit I have to pick with Chrysalis is that the first time around with the Jack Pack, Sarina was in love with Jack. But this episode just forgets that. I think exploring the reasons why a relationship between Sarina and Jack wouldn't have worked and seeing more of how Sarina no longer fit in with her friends would have been more interesting that what we got.

For Julian's part, I don't think romantic interest in Sarina was necessary. He could have learned a more valuable lesson if his interest in her was strictly medical. Julian's main flaw is his arrogance and tendency to miss the trees for the forest. I'd prefer if he'd have been pushing Sarina to fit into the world as a result of his desire for medical success and proving that, with the right treatment, more genetically engineered can fit into society.

The pressure from Bashir to be normal without any understanding of normalcy and no longer fitting in with her own "normal" could have what drove Sarina back to her comfort zone. So Bashir's lesson would have been not to forget about the person behind the treatment instead of the one he learned, which is basically "don't be a creeper".

Last edited by callea; December 23 2012 at 03:55 AM.
callea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 03:47 AM   #1737
flemm
Fleet Captain

callea wrote: View Post
Also putting it together with other actions of Julian's paints him in a very bad light.
It seems like a problem that Bashir might plausibly have, though. Or at least a bad tendency. He's very gifted, but he's also rather insecure, or at least he was often portrayed that way (some of this was muddied a bit by the genetic engineering retcon).

Having said that, I honestly can't say much about this episode because I don't think I've ever re-watched it. And my first impression, back whenever that was, didn't really stay with me.
Old December 23 2012, 03:29 PM   #1738
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I agree that Bashir was creepy in Chrysalis, but Bashir has always been a bit creepy when it comes to women. His obsession with Jadzia back in season 1 was bordering on harassment, his relationship with Melora was inappropriate, and his relationship with Leeta was so horrifying that they had to have it entirely off-screen. Face it, Bashir was a creep with women, that's why his main relationship on the show was with a man.

Sykonee wrote: View Post
Accordion Haddaway is far creepier than any vibe I got from Bashir.
It's amazing what you can find if you're willing to go to the uncharted areas of YouTube. But I must commend the accordionist, he played it with gusto.

Treachery, Faith, and the Great River (****½)

Much like Garak, Weyoun is a character that improves an episode just by being in it, so an episode with two Weyouns is automatically a winner. On the surface, the episode's plot isn't all that original, it's about two people fleeing in a runabout which is the sort of stuff we've seen many times before. What makes this episode a classic is the interaction between Odo and Weyoun-6 which allows us to see a new angle on the Weyoun characters, the Vorta species, and the Dominion as a whole. Weyoun-6 may be defective, but he's still very clearly a Weyoun, perhaps with a smidgen of a conscience. Through Weyoun-6 we get to understand the true evil of the Founders, who turned a race of friendly forest-dwellers into a twisted corps of blindly loyal bureaucrats.

On Cardassia, and Damar's relationship with Weyoun-7 appears to be even less trusting and more acrimonious than the one he had with Weyoun-5, which is a delight for us viewers. The seeds of Damar's rebellion were planted long ago, but in this episode we can see the shoots appearing from under the surface. The suspicions the characters have toward one another, Damar's concern for the Cardassians that have died in the war so far, and his increasing habit of drinking at work are all clear indicators of where things are going. In the middle of all this, Dead Fish shows up and we get the revelation that the Founders are dying of an unknown illness. There's no indication of Section 31's involvement yet, but the writers are clearly planning ahead somewhat with this development.

Meanwhile, Nog steals Sisko's desk. The B-plot to this episode may be a retread of the B-plot from Progress, but it's such a delightful little story that I don't mind. They key difference is that before Nog was navigating the Great Material Continuum for profit, but now he's using his Ferengi business skills to his advantage as a Starfleet officer. It's a nice way to bring together Nog's roots with where he is right now, and there are a few great gags in the story as well.

That's it for me this year as I'll be taking a break from DS9 over Christmas. I hope you all enjoy whatever holiday you celebrate, and if you don't celebrate any then I hope you have a pleasant uneventful week.
Old December 23 2012, 08:49 PM   #1739
flemm
Fleet Captain

That's it for me this year as I'll be taking a break from DS9 over Christmas. I hope you all enjoy whatever holiday you celebrate, and if you don't celebrate any then I hope you have a pleasant uneventful week.
Happy holidays (or lack thereof )!

Treachery, Faith and the Great River
is a classic, definitely. Along with Chimera and Inter Arma, the best of the season prior to the final arc, I believe.
Old December 24 2012, 09:42 PM   #1740
Seven of Five
Commodore

Yeah, brilliant episode, and all that shit. Just glad to have finished work now for three days.

Merry Christmas everyone! Enjoy whatever you're doing.