Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 28 2011, 03:23 PM   #16
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: TV Shows about Vikings and pirates in development

Australis wrote: View Post
A guy wanted me to write a Viking film script based on his outline, but it was seriously awful, and he wouldn't let me change it into something, well, better. Centered on a wimpy, artistic kid forced to become a Viking like his father. And that makes it sound a lot more interesting than it was. The character as written had no internal life, and he wouldn't let me give him one. He's now going to write it as a novel.
Sounds a bit like the "Lindisfarne" storyline in Northlanders, the DC/Vertigo series by Brian Wood about the Viking Age.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 09:04 PM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Centered on a wimpy, artistic kid forced to become a Viking like his father.
Isn't that How to Train Your Dragon?
Sure sounds like it, which just shows that the basic concept is perfectly marketable.

Vikings ren't known for their introspection.
How do you know? Ever met one?

Don't confuse the media representation for the real historical thing. I'm certain Vikings were just as complex and diverse a bunch as any other group in human history.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2011, 11:09 PM   #18
Australis
Writer

Of course not. I am talking about a media representation. Trust me, a producer would read the first ten pages and heave it into the round filing cabinet.

And being a Scot, there is more than likely Viking blood in me (which explains my need to plunder monasteries, drink mead, and in no way be introspective).
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2011, 07:03 PM   #19
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'm far less interested in seeing a regurgitation of popular misconceptions about pirates, Vikings or anybody else than I am in seeing something that is the product of research into how these cultures actually were, something that will feel both authentic and fresh. It might not be such a challenge to find a TV producer interested in such a thing; you just need to know who to pitch. AMC or HBO for instance. They're looking for intelligent material to suit their intelligent audience.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3 2011, 01:39 PM   #20
"t jd "
Cadet

The Republic of Pirates come to nbc
"t jd " is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 09:11 PM   #21
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Charlize Theron, 'Hotel Rwanda's' Terry George Developing Viking Drama

The actress-producer has sold The Clan to ABC, marking the Oscar winner's third sale this development season, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.

The Clan is described as a sweeping drama set in the Highlands of medieval Scotland where the great clans battle each other -- and the Viking invaders.

Hotel Rwanda writer-director-producer Terry George -- who picked up a writing Oscar nomination for the Don Cheadle starrer -- is on board to write, direct and executive produce the project.
Old December 19 2012, 10:59 AM   #22
Aragorn
Admiral

Couldn't find it on YouTube, but Entertainment Weekly has a 30 second teaser for this History Channel TV show.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 07:23 PM   #23
Theodore Jay Miller
Commodore

The series will follow Jeb - the only son of Bluebeard - on his quest to reclaim The Scrimshaw; the ship that is rightfully his.
Do you think they mean Blackbeard? He was the pirate; Bluebeard was the guy who murdered his wives.
Theodore Jay Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 06:17 AM   #24
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Three pirate series? Well I think that just about doubles the amount of Pirate media created by human civilization since the dawn of time.

Why is pirate media so rare anyway? Pirates are popular, but they never star in anything...

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 09:57 AM   #25
Australis
Writer

In case it wasn't mentioned earlier...

Roman Polanski made a movie called 'Pirates' that stiffed badly. Then came 'CutThroat Island', and that was even worse and took down Carolco. I only watched CTI yesterday, I kind of like it, some of the support roles and the locations are excellent, as is the soundtrack, plus there's a stunt sequence that makes me laugh every time, but the story is overly complex and the two leads were, frankly, woeful.

Back in the 60s there was a TV series series about Drake with Terence Morgan in the lead, and as a preteen I LOVED that show!

I have a script for a pirate movie out doing the rounds, but man, it's tough getting it read!
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote