Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old December 22 2012, 06:21 PM   #1
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Where do I start?

I'll admit it, I've never seen even ONE episode of Dr. Who. I'm curious, I've heard so much good about it. I want to give it a try. However, it's been on so long, in so many different series, and there's so much of it, it's rather intimidating.
My question is where is a good place to start? Can I just pick up with the most recent doctor?

Thanks for your help.
Convert me!

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: Where do I start?

Tough question really. The Eleventh Hour (the current Doctors first story) is a good enough point to jump in. New Doctor, new companion, new Tardis.

Or if you want to go more in depth, I'd suggest going all the way back to Rose.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Agreed. Rose isn't so long ago that couldn't get caught up.

Most people who never watched usually find the classic series cheesy. So much so that some say it's unwatchable.

Myself, I wouldn't have missed classic Who for anything, even though I only saw Pertwee onward.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

start with Matt Smith's first episode, I hated Rose so couldn't recommend it. Coach up with the current doctor then on work back.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 02:28 AM   #5
The Wormhole
Admiral

I recommend starting with Rose since it really was meant to be watched by someone who had never watched Doctor Who before. Also, I'd hold off watching the classic era until after you're comfortably familiar. I didn't begin watching Classic Who until after season 5, though I provavky could have begun after season 4.
Old December 23 2012, 04:37 AM   #6
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I'd start with Rose. That was designed to draw in people who were not familiar with Doctor Who at all, and it worked! Rose is Eccleston's first story. You don't need to know anything about Doctor Who to enjoy that. Just continue from there.

You can probably safely just start watching this year's Christmas special as well. It's a new beginnings of sorts.

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 04:46 AM   #7
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

The best advice for watching Doctor Who has always been to pick the most recent Doctor and start from his first episode. The show goes through a mini-reboot with each incarnation and is the perfect point for newcomers to jump on board.

Or you could work your way up from An Unearthly Child, but I don't recommend it.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 03:04 PM   #8
diankra
Commodore

if it's on in your area, there's no reason not to start with the Christmas special that's about to go out: all you really need to know is that something's gone badly wrong for the Doctor, and he's decided to give it all up and let the universe get by without him. Anything else will be explained in context...
diankra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 03:50 PM   #9
The Wormhole
Admiral

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Or you could work your way up from An Unearthly Child, but I don't recommend it.
The reason I don't recommend people start with An Unearthly Child and work their way through is simply because so much of Hartnell and Troughton's eras are missing. In fact, the earliest missing story is Hartnell's fourth.

It's easier for someone to go back and watch the existing stories from those eras after they've been intorduced to Doctor Who and have an understanding of the show.

Last edited by The Wormhole; December 23 2012 at 04:07 PM.
The Wormhole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Yea, if you want to jump in Right Away, go ahead and watch the Christmas Special, new Companion so, some of the most basic concepts of the Series are likely to be reintroduced in some way. Then go back to either Rose or The 11th Hour and watch forward.

Or just start at Rose (or The 11th Hour) and move forward from there.

Unless you've already become familiar with Classic Who, it's probably best not to start there, as Wormhole mentions the Missing Hartnell and Troughton stories can be an issue with you getting your bearings, and then of course there is the aversion some have towards Black and White TV putting a damper on the First two Doctors as well as a bit of The Third, plus the different story pacing in the old Series and the budget was pretty small so many folks laugh or groan at a lot of the effects. Classic Who, for new viewers of today is more to the taste of folks wanting MORE when they've consumed all of NuWho

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 05:18 PM   #11
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I just watched Rose and the next episode about the end of the world. I can't remember the title. It was close to midnight when I watched it. I do like it, so I'll keep watching. It's a good reason to keep Netflix.
Another question. Is there a continuity with all the series, or is each one a reboot? How will the answer affect my watching?

And if all of this companions are as cute as Rose, I'm definately watching more.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 05:34 PM   #12
Worf2DS9
Writer

^ I wouldn't say reboot in the common sense. Things that happen in a season often have some consequences in the following season(s) of Who (and even Torchwood, for that matter, but let's not complicate things for now!), so there is continuity in that regard, as well as certain plot threads and returning characters.
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
I just watched Rose and the next episode about the end of the world. I can't remember the title. It was close to midnight when I watched it. I do like it, so I'll keep watching. It's a good reason to keep Netflix.
Another question. Is there a continuity with all the series, or is each one a reboot? How will the answer affect my watching?

And if all of this companions are as cute as Rose, I'm definately watching more.
Not so much a reboot, but, the Companion is a method of explaining things to the audience (IE: If the audience is expected to need an explanation for something, the Companion will ask the Doctor about it so he can explain it). So, when the Companion changes, you have a blank slate, where you can explain the simple stuff to the audience again. When the Doctor changes, he gets a new face and new personality (And often changes to the TARDIS) so that causes changes in the Series. The first four Series of NuWHo are self contained arcs within the season, but, it's not reset, nor forgotten about and stuff is sometimes revisted later on. This formula gets a little more complicated when you get to the 5th Series where the current Doctor starts.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 07:39 PM   #14
trekkier
Lieutenant Commander

I ended up watching season 5 with matt smith, then i went back and watched season 1-4. Now im slowly working my way though some of the classic stuff
Old December 23 2012, 09:34 PM   #15
MacLeod
Admiral

I would go with "Rose" as well, because as others have already said it re-introducers the character. And as the episodes/series pass it slowly folds in aspects of the old series.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote