Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old December 17 2012, 01:28 AM   #166
TrekNut87
Captain

View TrekNut87's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to TrekNut87
Re: MLB Offseason 2012

Mike Pelfrey signed with Minnesota... 1/4 and up to 1.5 in incentives.
Old December 17 2012, 02:25 AM   #167
Tom Hendricks
Tom Hendricks

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I have to say, if this seven player trade is true, I agree with it. As much as I love RA, at this point the Mets need these prospects more.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Old December 18 2012, 01:20 AM   #168
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Sandy Claws wrote: View Post
I have to say, if this seven player trade is true, I agree with it. As much as I love RA, at this point the Mets need these prospects more.
Yeah, Alderson did a good job of wringing as much value as he could out of the Jays. Getting an expensive July 2 prospect with big tools for Mike Nickeas makes this trade a good bit better than it already was.

AA's going to have people calling for his head if the Jays faceplant and are in fourth place by July after going all-in like he has this offseason, though.
Old December 18 2012, 01:15 PM   #169
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Dickey starts were the only reason to watch the team after the all star break, and I hate to see him go from a sentimental standpoint. But, he's 38, knucklers are notoriously inconsistent, and the Mets aren't built to win in the next year or two. I'll take a top flight catching prospect.

I think Alderson is doing a good job of purging the team from the previous regime on a limited budget. For the first time last season in years, I felt some hope about watching them. I can deal with youth and rebuilding, but not incompetence and dead weight.

Edit: Ooh, they get a highly rated pitching prospect too.
Old December 18 2012, 02:54 PM   #170
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I'm sorry, but I just can't get behind this trade. We gave up too much future for a guy that may or may not be dominant again. You can quote me all you want on how knuckleballers don't throw as hard so they last longer, but until I actually see it on the field, I'll believe we overpaid.
Old December 18 2012, 09:16 PM   #171
Tom Hendricks
Tom Hendricks

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

You over paid a bit, but not to the extent of your dismay. When he wins 16-18 games for you this season, well see what you think then. As with any trade, anything could happen. Your top shelf catching prospect we got has some serious injury concerns and with catchers anything that impacts your legs is troubling.

As a side note I found this on line today. Its a cartoon done by Dale Murphy's son for his dad trying to get him in the Hall of Fame.

This is what the son said: [M]y professional sports knowledge is nil, and my athletic prowess is nonexistent. Most people are surprised to hear that my artistic side was actually fostered and encouraged by my Dad, but that's just the way he's always been with me.

I'm not smart enough to argue his career, his numbers, or to compare him to other players (I only know a few others), and I can only remember bits and pieces of his career. But I remember perfectly sitting in our art room in Georgia, tracing the outlines of our feet onto planks of wood, whittling sticks and bars of soap on the back porch, admiring my dad's doodles that he would do of all our names, and carving our initials into trees as we tried to hunt bats with our BB guns.

I don't know if he'll get in the Hall, but... it really doesn't matter to me.

http://deadspin.com/5969376/dale-mur...arming-cartoon

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.

Last edited by Tom Hendricks; December 18 2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: adding link at bottom
Old December 18 2012, 11:46 PM   #172
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Dickey starts were the only reason to watch the team after the all star break, and I hate to see him go from a sentimental standpoint. But, he's 38, knucklers are notoriously inconsistent, and the Mets aren't built to win in the next year or two. I'll take a top flight catching prospect.
D'Arnaud has some pretty big question marks around his knee, though. If he has to move to first base or a corner outfield spot, his prospect value takes a pretty big hit.
Old December 19 2012, 01:55 PM   #173
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Sandy Claws wrote: View Post
You over paid a bit, but not to the extent of your dismay. When he wins 16-18 games for you this season, well see what you think then. As with any trade, anything could happen. Your top shelf catching prospect we got has some serious injury concerns and with catchers anything that impacts your legs is troubling.
If he wins 16-18 games, I'll congratulate him and admit I was wrong
Old December 20 2012, 09:39 PM   #174
Tom Servo
Commodore

Tiny Timby wrote: View Post
Ar-Festivus wrote: View Post
Tiny Timby wrote: View Post
Cubs sign Anibal Sanchez for 5 / 75.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU HOYER
It may be out of Hoyer's hands. Sanchez likely going back to Detroit, or possibly a third team. Cubs are reportedly no longer in the running.
THANK FUCKING GOD.

Detroit, thank you for saving the Cubs from themselves.
But wait there's more! Instead they sign Edwin Jackson for 4 years and $52 Million!

Member of Red Sox Nation
Old December 21 2012, 01:25 AM   #175
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

That's actually a pretty decent deal for both sides, honestly. Despite his reputation, Jackson is one of the most reliable and consistent starters in all of baseball and will give you all of the innings. I'm kind of surprised he got four years, though of course he may not spend all four of those years in Chicago.
Old December 22 2012, 12:48 PM   #176
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

The story is only on cubs.com, so take it with a lot of grains of salt, but it says they have signed Nate Schierholtz to a 1 year contract worth $2.25M.

He's young enough, if he gets back to his average, he could be a good addition.

The Cubs also lost pitcher Beliveau to the Rangers, which is a shame. I thought he had a lot of potential.
Old December 22 2012, 10:46 PM   #177
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

The story is only on cubs.com, so take it with a lot of grains of salt, but it says they have signed Nate Schierholtz to a 1 year contract worth $2.25M.

He's young enough, if he gets back to his average, he could be a good addition.
Schierholtz's lifetime OBP is .319 with a career OPS+ of 97, making him essentially a step below replacement-level; at age 28, nearly 29, you pretty much know what you're going to get from him. I wouldn't expect much. My thinking is that Hoyer is hoping that Schierholtz pulls a LaHair and has a monster April / May, which would make him an attractive trade piece (until he returns to being Nate Schierholtz instead of a moon monster). That being said, $2.25 million isn't a terrible overpay or anything, so I guess all I can say to this move is ... "okay."

The Cubs also lost pitcher Beliveau to the Rangers, which is a shame. I thought he had a lot of potential.
Beliveau had been designated for assignment, so he wasn't exactly "lost," the Cubs didn't want him anymore.
Old December 23 2012, 12:19 AM   #178
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Right, they designated him, possibly for the purpose of sending him to the minors (if I understand that process at all).
Old December 23 2012, 12:44 AM   #179
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

^ Right, they designated him, possibly for the purpose of sending him to the minors (if I understand that process at all).
Being designated for assignment is basically a less harsh way of telling a player he's been cut. It puts the player on the waiver wire and also lets the rest of the league know that a trade can be worked out for him if he clears waivers. You can use it to stash a guy in the minors, but you don't do it to guys you really value -- once a player is designated for assignment, you have to trade or release him within 10 days if he isn't returned to the 40-man roster.

With Beliveau, he got hammered in AAA and there are some concerns about his arm. The Cubs also needed space on the 40-man for Jackson, Fujikawa and Villanueva, so at this point Beliveau was pretty clearly considered to be a decent asset, but expendable. To be stuck in AAA at age 25 isn't a great place for a pitching prospect, in any event.
Old December 23 2012, 07:33 AM   #180
Aragorn
Admiral

It's being reported that former Reds player Ryan Freel committed suicide Saturday at the age of 36.
Closed Thread