RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,380
Posts: 5,357,093
Members: 24,628
Currently online: 534
Newest member: suryaprabu02

TrekToday headlines

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 21 2012, 04:36 AM   #826
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

plynch wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
But, $258.00 for a download?? THAT would have stopped me cold. At least this way, I actually got something for my money.
I'm not sure I follow that logic. The value isn't in the physical medium. After all, you can get a box of 15 blank CD-Rs for about $7.50, and a ream of paper for about the same. What's worth a quarter of a grand is the actual music and information. The only difference is where and how it's stored.
It isn't about the logic. Here it really is about feeling: our internal price points are set by experience. Downloads are generally inexpensive. In publishing (as you know), they can be crazily less expensive than the hard copy, though you're right, a major publisher isn't putting much money into paper and ink per book. It's just what we're used to. So a quarter of a grand for a data transmission just would've felt wrong to a lot of people.

Very little of the price is for the making of the plastic discs, of course. But shelling that amount of money out for a bunch of CDs feels ok, since we "know" what a big set of CDs or DVDs goes for.
Exactly. My point was that for the amount of money involved in this instance, I felt better about actually buying an item, rather than just a download.

Why this is a hard concept is beyond me, but to each their own, and all that.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 05:12 AM   #827
plynch
Commodore
 
plynch's Avatar
 
Location: Outer Graceland
View plynch's Twitter Profile
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

The 99 cent self-published ebook is really devaluing the product called "book," say the traditional publishers. People are downloading genre lit left and right, never reading a lot of it. Turning lit into a cheap commodity. They probably said that about Pocket Books in 1949.

Anyway, oddly enough, I'd be ok with just the download if I could download a backup copy and the printed material for my tablet. I have WAY too many things gathering dust.
__________________
Author of Live Like Louis! Inspirational Stories from the Life of Louis Armstrong, http://livelikelouis.com
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 05:12 AM   #828
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Oh, I understand why it might feel more substantial to get a physical item, but if you actually think about it, the physical item is the least valuable part of what you're paying for. The physical materials without the information they contain would be virtually worthless, and they wouldn't give you the fulfillment of actually hearing the music or reading the notes. But the same information (the music and notes) contained in a different physical substrate (i.e. your hard drive or flash drive or iWhateverTheHeck) would be just as fulfilling to listen to and to read. Looked at that way, the difference between a physical item and a downloaded one is superficial. It's understandable why our instincts, shaped by millions of years of interaction with the natural world, would react to a physical possession as more real and more satisfying to have than an intangible quantity of information, but those instincts are poorly adapted to the modern world.

On the other hand... for most of human history and prehistory, before recording media such as writing, the only way one person could give another person possession of a song or a story or a piece of information was to teach it to them -- a pure transfer of information with nothing physical changing hands. So maybe we're now getting closer to the way it was for most of our species' existence.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 03:39 PM   #829
Search4
Commander
 
Search4's Avatar
 
Location: New Jersey, USA
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Received this the other day and truly, truly enjoying it. Fabulous memories and i'm learning a great deal about scoring a TV show. Excellent job.
Search4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 05:11 PM   #830
Dalen Quaice
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Digital downloads are not much a collector's item.

When the set sells out, fans that were unaware of this CD release or were short of cash will be searching for these. I personally think it is a good investment. Even if See-BS decides to reissue the music in the future, it will likely not be the LA LA Land restoration. Hopefully, they made an agreement that the music would not be reissued for a certain time after the LA LA land release.
Dalen Quaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 06:39 PM   #831
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Esteban wrote: View Post
It gets to my only real complaint about the whole thing. Why a CD box set? How 20th century. Why not make it all available as a download? Why am I ripping these stupid CDs as we speak?

I'm smiling, folks. Trust me, I really appreciate the work and effort. Still, let's face it, this is stone knives and bearskins.
Still, downloads are easily threatened by storage failure (internal/external)--literally in the blink of an eye, it can all vanish or become corrupted beyond repair and/or use. Of course if someone is thinking you can back up the downloads on a CD...then you would have been better off buying the box set anyway.
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 06:43 PM   #832
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain
 
TREK_GOD_1's Avatar
 
Location: Escaped from Delta Vega
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Finished seasons one and two, but it is hard not to go back and enjoy certain tracks again and again. "The Enemy Within" and "Charlie X" scores are so well written, atmospheric and moody, that it reminds me of the edge of mystery felt in early episodes before the comfort of writing and performances gelled into the Trek everyone is most familiar with (although still classic work all around).
__________________
"...to be like God, you have the power to make the world anything you want it to be."
TREK_GOD_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 07:26 PM   #833
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Still, downloads are easily threatened by storage failure (internal/external)--literally in the blink of an eye, it can all vanish or become corrupted beyond repair and/or use. Of course if someone is thinking you can back up the downloads on a CD...then you would have been better off buying the box set anyway.
Well, sure, it's a given that you should back up all your computer data. That's just basic common sense. And you can back them up onto anything -- CDs, flash drives, your portable music player or phone, or all of the above.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 07:27 PM   #834
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post
Still, downloads are easily threatened by storage failure (internal/external)--literally in the blink of an eye, it can all vanish or become corrupted beyond repair and/or use. Of course if someone is thinking you can back up the downloads on a CD...then you would have been better off buying the box set anyway.
I'm thinking that I can back up downloads onto multiple machines in my house, as well as at least two places on the Internet, with relative ease. Whereas I can't back up the CDs without copying them to my computer first, and they can disappear just as quickly in the event of a robbery or house fire.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 08:33 PM   #835
cbspock
Rear Admiral
 
cbspock's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

The tracks for the Man Trap, man they are depressing and tedious to listen to. It is fun just listening to the cues and scenes they were used for just pop into your head.


-Chris
__________________
"It's important to give it all you have while you have the chance."-Shania
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 10:55 PM   #836
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

cbspock wrote: View Post
The tracks for the Man Trap, man they are depressing and tedious to listen to. It is fun just listening to the cues and scenes they were used for just pop into your head.


-Chris
I don't know about depressing, but if by tedious, you mean repetitive, then yeah, I agree.

Of course, that still doesn't equate with "bad" in my opinion.

Tonight, I'll be listening to disk four of season two, the one that starts with "Meatmorphosis". I'm really looking forward to that since I've always loved that music. Last night was the disk that had my most favorite TOS episode, "Mirror, Mirror. I had already knew from reading the linear notes that it would only be a partial score, but the biggest surprise for me there was that the cue that opened that episode was missing. It's also the cue that opens the episode "Obsession", but it sure fits in with the rest of "Mirror's" music. I'm hoping I'll find it on the second of the season two library cues, since it wasn't on the first (also last night's disk) either.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 11:07 PM   #837
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

RandyS wrote: View Post
Last night was the disk that had my most favorite TOS episode, "Mirror, Mirror. I had already knew from reading the linear notes that it would only be a partial score, but the biggest surprise for me there was that the cue that opened that episode was missing. It's also the cue that opens the episode "Obsession", but it sure fits in with the rest of "Mirror's" music. I'm hoping I'll find it on the second of the season two library cues, since it wasn't on the first (also last night's disk) either.
It's the first 10 seconds of the "Mudd's Perfidy" library cue (Season 2, Disc 5, track 36), adapted from the "Mudd's Women" score by Steiner.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 12:39 AM   #838
Daddy Todd
Captain
 
Daddy Todd's Avatar
 
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Dalen Quaice wrote: View Post
Digital downloads are not much a collector's item.

When the set sells out, fans that were unaware of this CD release or were short of cash will be searching for these. I personally think it is a good investment. Even if See-BS decides to reissue the music in the future, it will likely not be the LA LA Land restoration. Hopefully, they made an agreement that the music would not be reissued for a certain time after the LA LA land release.
One reason digital downloads can never be a collector's item is because you don't actually OWN them. You only purchase a non-transferable license to read/listen to/watch them.

When I buy a paper book or a CD, I can read/listen until I grow bored with it, then sell it on eBay and possibly get some return on my investment. I can loan it to a friend, family member or co-worker, and possibly create a new fan for the creator(s).

Publishers of books, music and other media HATE this.

It became clear during the run-up to passage of the DMCA that publishers are really trying to move all media to a pay-per-view (pay-per-read, pay-per-listen) model. They want to make us consumers pay EVERY TIME we "enjoy" their product. Only a humongous consumer backlash prevented this from becoming reality.

But I'm not foolish enough to believe they've given up on this notion. I fully expect it to resurface in the future, and probably become law. At which point I'll stop "licensing" new media product and just enjoy the stuff I've already purchased.

But this is a very tangential issue to the subject at hand. I love this set beyond words! This is the best Xmess present I ever gave myself.

Last edited by Daddy Todd; December 22 2012 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Pedantry
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 12:39 AM   #839
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Christopher wrote: View Post
RandyS wrote: View Post
Last night was the disk that had my most favorite TOS episode, "Mirror, Mirror. I had already knew from reading the linear notes that it would only be a partial score, but the biggest surprise for me there was that the cue that opened that episode was missing. It's also the cue that opens the episode "Obsession", but it sure fits in with the rest of "Mirror's" music. I'm hoping I'll find it on the second of the season two library cues, since it wasn't on the first (also last night's disk) either.
It's the first 10 seconds of the "Mudd's Perfidy" library cue (Season 2, Disc 5, track 36), adapted from the "Mudd's Women" score by Steiner.
Ah, good. Thanks.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 12:46 AM   #840
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Daddy Todd wrote: View Post
One reason digital downloads can never be a collector's item is because you don't actually OWN them. You only purchase a non-transferable license to read/listen to/watch them.

...

It became clear during the run-up to passage of the DMCA that publishers are really trying to move all media to a pay-per-view (pay-per-read, pay-per-listen) model. They want to make us consumers pay EVERY TIME we "enjoy" their product. Only a humongous consumer backlash prevented this from becoming reality.
Not all publishers. Perhaps you aren't aware that several months ago, Tor Books began making all its e-books (including my own Only Superhuman) available DRM-free, which, if I understand it correctly, means you do actually own it and can make a backup copy, lend it to a friend, etc.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.