TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 20 2012, 11:01 PM   #16
Avon
Fleet Captain

Re: First pic of Christine Vale?

man the background perspective is odd; tuvok must be on his knees leaning backwards. also whats with the Fat Goatee Data?

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 11:18 PM   #17
Skywalker
Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
Why's Tuvok wearing Command Red??
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Because it's an IDW comic book. Details are not their forte.
I'm not caught up on the most recent Titan books, but is Tuvok still the tactical officer while Ranul Keru is chief of security? Maybe the tactical department is now considered part of the command branch along with flight control, so they wear red while security officers still wear gold.

Probably not, but that'd be one way to explain it.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 11:39 PM   #18
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Worf was still allowed to wear red after returning to the Enterprise, so why not?
Old December 21 2012, 12:00 AM   #19
Arpy
Rear Admiral

Ohhhhhhh, I was wondering what Claire Danes was doing in a Star Trek comic...
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 12:31 AM   #20
RoJoHen
Awesome

Christopher wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Any speculation on the male Ops?
He doesn't correspond to any character I'm aware of.
He looks like Data with a goatee.
Old December 21 2012, 02:01 AM   #21
Christopher
Writer

He doesn't look much like Data to me. Maybe around the eyes and nose somewhat, but the shape of the head is chubbier, plus there's the spiky hair, the pink complexion, and the worried expression. (You can see a bigger, clearer version here. Oh, and he apparently gets killed in the next panel.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 02:32 AM   #22
RoJoHen
Awesome

I haven't seen Data since he died in Nemesis. For all I know, he put his emotion chip back in and decided to rebel by spiking his hair...or something.
Old December 21 2012, 02:48 AM   #23
Skywalker
Admiral

On another note, I see Troi is still as good as ever at pointing out the obvious.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 06:03 AM   #24
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Seriously...why can't we have a proper Titan comic?
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 03:18 PM   #25
Christopher
Writer

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Probably the same reason we don't have DS9 or VGR or ENT comics -- they wouldn't sell well enough to be profitable. Only TOS and TNG seem to have large enough comics-reading audiences these days to be worth the investment. After all, comics have gotten more expensive these days, so it's not as easy to attract casual readers.

Old December 21 2012, 03:34 PM   #26
lurok
Commodore

I'm more familiar with her from Sackhoff fans who would want her to play Vale. So works for me.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 04:41 PM   #27
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Probably the same reason we don't have DS9 or VGR or ENT comics -- they wouldn't sell well enough to be profitable. Only TOS and TNG seem to have large enough comics-reading audiences these days to be worth the investment.
The more basic reason we don't have DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise comics is that IDW hasn't licensed those series. (They did have a DS9 license, but it has reportedly lapsed without renewal.)

I suspect it's the lack of the Voyager license that's a barrier to Titan comics. There's a difference between "Can we use this character we don't have the license for as a cameo in this one-off story" and "Can we use this character we don't have the license for as a regular character in an ongoing series?"

After all, comics have gotten more expensive these days, so it's not as easy to attract casual readers.
But Star Trek comics haven't, not in the time that IDW has held the license. They launched The Space Between five years ago at $3.99, and Hive #3 this week was also $3.99. Compared to what Star Trek comics sold for ten or fifteen years ago they're more expensive, true, but that's true of Pocket's output as well. Today's Star Trek comics (and novels, too) are priced in line with the rest of the market.

(Ironically, it's not true that five years ago Star Trek comics were priced in line with the rest of the market. $3.99 was a high price for comics in 2007. Over five years, price creep from the Big Two has moved the average closer to where IDW prices their output. Today, $3.99 is a normal price when it wasn't then.)

That said, I agree with your final point, that four dollars an issue makes consumers choosier when it comes to their four-color reading material. Price is why I don't read as many Marvel titles as I should; Superior Spider-Man will be on a shorter leash for me at $3.99 an issue than it would be at $2.99 an issue.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 04:50 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Probably the same reason we don't have DS9 or VGR or ENT comics -- they wouldn't sell well enough to be profitable. Only TOS and TNG seem to have large enough comics-reading audiences these days to be worth the investment.
The more basic reason we don't have DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise comics is that IDW hasn't licensed those series. (They did have a DS9 license, but it has reportedly lapsed without renewal.)
But aren't those just different ways of saying the same thing? Presumably IDW would have licensed those series if they believed it would be profitable to publish comics based on them -- and would've kept the DS9 license if the one DS9 comic they did had sold better.

After all, comics have gotten more expensive these days, so it's not as easy to attract casual readers.
But Star Trek comics haven't, not in the time that IDW has held the license.[/quote]

I meant in comparison to a decade or two ago, like when DC, Malibu, and Marvel had licenses and we got DS9 and VGR comics.

Old December 21 2012, 04:56 PM   #29
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

LOL, what the hell happened to Data? That guy on the right looks like a fat version of Brent Spiner with a goatee.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 11:11 PM   #30
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Pretty cool. Not quite what I imagined for vale. In my mind she was a bit more... Ezri-ish.

Weird question, that ultimately doesn't matter, but I'm curious nonetheless: Is there any wibbley-wobbly, timey-wimey way to rationalize Hive in a Pre- or Post-Destiny setting? (Heck, maybe even Peri-?) or is it so off the line that I can't be reconciled? I'm just curious if I should slot in the Hive TPB to my Post-Nemesis reading list or just give it a whirl when it arrives regardless of where I'm at.