New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old December 21 2012, 02:24 PM   #481
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: Ancient Aliens

Hell, it's a far better theory than the "Face" crap.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 08:12 PM   #482
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
Ah, Ancient Aliens one of my guilty pleasures. I especially like the way that the narrator always says things like "Could Aliens..." or "If Aliens had...," I always interpret it as a kind of backhanded disclaimer. Those lines and the Whale Wars opening "warning" where they say that they views of the show are not the views of the producers are such great honesty in television--"Look, folks we don't believe this shtuff, we just hope you find it as entertainingly bad as we do."
One of my guilty pleasures too - but my favorite (funny) aspect is the narrator always starts every line with, "Ancient astronaut theorists believe..."
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 10:12 PM   #483
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Ah, Ancient Aliens one of my guilty pleasures. I especially like the way that the narrator always says things like "Could Aliens..." or "If Aliens had...," I always interpret it as a kind of backhanded disclaimer. Those lines and the Whale Wars opening "warning" where they say that they views of the show are not the views of the producers are such great honesty in television--"Look, folks we don't believe this shtuff, we just hope you find it as entertainingly bad as we do."
One of my guilty pleasures too - but my favorite (funny) aspect is the narrator always starts every line with, "Ancient astronaut theorists believe..."
Yeah, they might as well start it with "Some cranks in their parents' basements believe..."
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 12:07 AM   #484
Lonemagpie
Writer

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Noname Given wrote: View Post
Yeah, they might as well start it with "Some cranks in their parents' basements believe..."
"that life down here began out there." Imagine it in Patrick Macnee's voice...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 10:27 PM   #485
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

"Some cranks in their parents' basements believe..."

"that life down here ..."

"Down here," as in their parents' basements?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 07:31 PM   #486
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

Giorgio's bad tan, bad hair and ridiculous refusal to properly pronounce "astronaut" and "extra-terrestrials" are usually entertaining.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 08:03 PM   #487
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Old December 23 2012, 10:27 PM   #488
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Is it possible - as some astronaut theorists contend - that Giorgio's hair is the result of back-engineered extraterrestrial technology recovered from the Roswell crash of 1947? *

* The Trek BBS is not responsible for cooleddie's abuse of Kahlua and painkillers and does not necessarily share his delusional opinions.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 10:48 PM   #489
YellowSubmarine
Commodore

We have no explanation how his hair happened under the known laws of physics. This means that it must have been growing in zero gravity. What is he hiding?
Old December 23 2012, 10:48 PM   #490
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I find it difficult to believe that a forum full of Star Trek fans, people who ostensibly are mostly humanist by definition, would think that humans created their own civilization and great accomplishments by their own agency! Preposterous!!!!
Old December 24 2012, 12:59 AM   #491
Josan
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Josan

I'm waiting for The Hair... er... Giorgio, von Daniken, Coppens, et al to address the 12/21/12 bit in an upcoming episode. The world didn't end, the aliens/gods, didn't return. I've just amused myself by watching some older episodes and they spent so much time on it they have to spin it somehow.
Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love
Josan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 06:13 PM   #492
Lonemagpie
Writer

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
Is it possible - as some astronaut theorists contend - that Giorgio's hair is the result of back-engineered extraterrestrial technology recovered from the Roswell crash of 1947? *

* The Trek BBS is not responsible for cooleddie's abuse of Kahlua and painkillers and does not necessarily share his delusional opinions.
It definitely proves Centauri ancestry.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 03:19 PM   #493
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Here's something a bit new...the-great-filter-theory-suggests-humans-have-already-conquered-the-threat-of-extinction...

http://io9.com/5970501/the-great-fil...-of-extinction

This is related to the Fermi Paradox posts I made earlier in the thread. Food for thought, though I'm not sure I'm buying it..

Also, an excellent book I bought after seeing it mentioned in the article..

http://www.amazon.com/Universe-Alien...tag=io9amzn-20
Old December 27 2012, 04:00 PM   #494
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I don't think humans are 100% extinction-proof, however, I do think we could survive a lot of things that most other species could not. Besides, there are billions of us. Even if you whittle that down to a few thousand, that is a survivable number of people to prevent extinction.

I think our ultimate limit, given current technology, would be the destruction of our atmosphere (that is, making it unbreathable by us.) Even then, I suppose we could make indoor environments and grow plants. However, none of the Biosphere projects actually panned out, so it's debatable whether we could really survive this way long-term.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2012, 04:17 PM   #495
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I don't think humans are 100% extinction-proof, however, I do think we could survive a lot of things that most other species could not. Besides, there are billions of us. Even if you whittle that down to a few thousand, that is a survivable number of people to prevent extinction.

I think our ultimate limit, given current technology, would be the destruction of our atmosphere (that is, making it unbreathable by us.) Even then, I suppose we could make indoor environments and grow plants. However, none of the Biosphere projects actually panned out, so it's debatable whether we could really survive this way long-term.
100% of anything is not possible, and we are certainly not extinction proof...related to the existence of aliens...think of the Kardashev scale of technological development. What if we can control the entire output of energy of our planet, then solar system and sun. These would be lofty advances, and a seriously powerful civilization, but even those could fall prey to cosmic catastrophes...let's go further beyond: what if our major cultural goal is to survive, well..everything! Can we harness the energy of a galaxy? Can we force evolve ourselves to live beyond the extinction of the universe...into multiverses? It's problematic, if a new universe has new physical laws, even if we survive the "end of the universe" we might me winked out of existence.

Taking it way back to modern Earth...man has the power to change much of what he has done, and space travel is a fact, we just need advancements to take us to another level..resource exploitation, habitat expansion, etc. It's my oipinion that a totally renewable human civilization is not possible within this biosphere, we can make some inroads to being responsible and renewable, but if man progresses as he has shown to, he will expand. It's inevitable. Early native populations destroyed their habitats, many disappeared, same with animal populations...we have the brain to take evolution out of the realm of nature and go beyond it. We can never avoid threats of extinction, but we can mitigate it if we spread out!

RAMA