Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 8 2012, 12:04 AM   #46
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

Re: My copy of Shada arrived today

Downtime is a tricky one, as being one of the original financers, Ian Levine belives he has the rights to further releases. But he wouldn't do it without the Doctor in it.

The PROBE stuff is out, but its on DVD-R, so unlikely its region locked.
Old May 8 2012, 02:17 PM   #47
23skidoo
Admiral

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
Downtime is a tricky one, as being one of the original financers, Ian Levine belives he has the rights to further releases. But he wouldn't do it without the Doctor in it.

The PROBE stuff is out, but its on DVD-R, so unlikely its region locked.
Big Finish showed it's possible for a third party to get the OK to use the Doctor, so maybe Levine (who, lest we forget, was a consultant on the original series and even composed the theme to K-9 and Co. so he's not unknown to the BBC) can get the proper rights sorted out. Only thing is I remember reading the novelisation for Downtime and I don't remember the Doctor being involved (by comparison, when he novelised Shakedown: Return of the Sontarans, Terrance Dicks devised a framing storyline with the Doctor). The last McCoy story comes out on DVD in a few months, so it's possible 2 Entertain (or whatever they call themselves now) might be interested in something featuring him so they have something new to offer during the anniversary year alongside the inevitable reissues.

Shame to hear PROBE is only on DVD-R. They play OK, but I've never been impressed with the picture or sound quality of those types of releases (one reason why I've been reluctant to spend the rather high prices Warner Archive charges for its DVD-R releases of things like Girl from UNCLE). I don't expect to see Downtime on Blu-ray or anything (IIRC it was shot on video like most if not all of the independent spin-offs) but I'm still hoping to see a proper DVD release down the line. That said, DVD-Rs do tend to be region-free so that's good to know.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 03:27 PM   #48
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Only thing is I remember reading the novelisation for Downtime and I don't remember the Doctor being involved
The third Doctor appears in the final chapter (or maybe it's the epilogue). Victoria is in a museum and she sees a white-haired man who's familiar. They have a conversation about the Doctor and how he never came back for her. She doesn't recognize that the man is the Doctor.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 08:56 PM   #49
23skidoo
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The third Doctor appears in the final chapter (or maybe it's the epilogue). Victoria is in a museum and she sees a white-haired man who's familiar. They have a conversation about the Doctor and how he never came back for her. She doesn't recognize that the man is the Doctor.
Cool - I haven't read the book since it came out back in 95 or 96 so my memory was a bit faulty. Maybe Levine intends to "retcon" that and have Victoria meet the Seventh Doctor.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 06:43 PM   #50
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Bump!

I got this from the local library the other day and have just started it. I don't usually read DW books and indeed have passed over several other Who novels in my library (including the Baxter one). But the Adams name and my own knowledge of the legendary Shada script made me pick this one up. Enjoying it so far - Roberts has definitely captured Adams' writing style and tone, IMHO.
Old December 14 2012, 07:15 PM   #51
diankra
Commodore

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Cool - I haven't read the book since it came out back in 95 or 96 so my memory was a bit faulty. Maybe Levine intends to "retcon" that and have Victoria meet the Seventh Doctor.

Alex
A very late reply, as I only spotted this post when the thread got bounced: Levine's been filming material with McCoy facing the Celestial Toymaker, which is I believe intended as a framing plot for Downtime (the events of Downtime being influenced by their game, I assume). There are some images online.
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 09:41 PM   #52
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Finished the book last night. It was an enjoyable read and Roberts' little explanatory post-script about how and why he came to read it was also very interesting.

As I said before, I don't read much or any DW novels. But what was quite disconcerting was that as I visualised this one in my head, I kept seeing it with dodgy 1970s DW production values, crap SFX and dodgy monsters. Try as I might, I couldn't superimpose 21st century Who values on it! Seriously!
Old December 21 2012, 04:18 AM   #53
The Wormhole
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
But what was quite disconcerting was that as I visualised this one in my head, I kept seeing it with dodgy 1970s DW production values, crap SFX and dodgy monsters. Try as I might, I couldn't superimpose 21st century Who values on it! Seriously!
Meanwhile, I had the opposite problem. I kept imagining it with modern day production values even though I know damn well back then it wouldn't have. I also have this problem whenever I read a Target novelization of a missing story.
Old December 21 2012, 04:17 PM   #54
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^I wanted to make it look great in my mind but I couldn't! Stupid brain!