Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old December 20 2012, 03:11 AM   #16
Andymator
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Miranda Class v2.0

I love the nacelles, there's nothing wrong with them!
Andymator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 05:54 AM   #17
Wingsley
Commodore

This is a really neat design, even though I've never been a fan of the Reliant's roll-bar. I think your design would look much better without it.
Old December 20 2012, 07:15 AM   #18
sojourner
Admiral

The Axeman wrote: View Post
I never thought of the saucer edge as sharp, it's rounded to avoid the razor sharp edges that give away stuff as being CGI. I try to avoid sharp edges if at all possible for just that reason.
Yeah, by "sharp" I was referring to it not being a deck or so tall. Nothing wrong with the modelling technique, for sure.
Old December 20 2012, 05:10 PM   #19
The Axeman
Commodore

The nacelles were bothering me a bit too, so I've made some tweaks to the proprtions and details. They're now less bulky and deep, and a little cleaner looking, which I think helps the proportions a little. I've also added a few more details here and there such as the small phaser strips and impulse engines. I cant start cutting in the panel details because the plug-in I use for that sort of work has expired, so I may have to lash out $25 to fix it. :P
Old December 21 2012, 08:00 AM   #20
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Well, the changes to the nacelles are too subtle for my addled senses to pick out. But I will say you've either done something right or they're growing on me. I definitely like the overall shape and details of the things. I suppose the only thing that bugs me about them now is the way they just fade out towards the back in your side view. Maybe if you had a spotlight back there instead of directly over the glowing "flux chillers"?

Of course, in the rear shot, they look terrific, so it might just be a question of knowing the ship's best angles and lighting.
Old December 21 2012, 10:17 AM   #21
The Axeman
Commodore

I just stuck some lights on in places where I planned on putting decals, but that will no doubt change as the build progresses. The changes were in the proportions and the removal of grilles, you'd need side by side comparisons to see they're thinner and flatter than before.

Wingsley, the rollbar is pretty integral to the design and adds a bit of balance, particularly in the side view. Without it the ship looks a little odd and unbalanced. Didn't they hack the rollbar off and use it in TNG as a ship of the week? It looked pretty awful, called it something beginning with 'L' I think; Lancaster or something?
Old December 21 2012, 04:32 PM   #22
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Lantree.
Old December 21 2012, 06:00 PM   #23
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Yep, the Lantree did look silly without a rollbar. Although, I suspect if the Reliant didn't have one in Wrath of Khan, the Lantree would look just fine.

Anyway, your intent is a fresh take on the Reliant design, so I don't see the point behind leaving such a prominent feature off.
Old December 21 2012, 11:55 PM   #24
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

The secondary one is more fluff though
I can only see 1 hull, Do you mean the lower saucer section is a secondary hull? It all seems entwined.

I am liking this. Reminds me a lot from underneath of my Quantum class ship that you kindly textured a sketchup model for me. Thanks again for that!

I don't think the hull looks sharp, it depends on the angle I suppose, but from underneath it looks a like the Norway class.

I can't wait to see it textured to get a real idea of the scale . The nacelles are cool! They remind me of phaser rifles.

Although this is a blatant nod to the Miranda class its still got a lot of freedom in the design than some generic reimaginings I have seen
Old December 23 2012, 06:05 PM   #25
JES
Captain

I just stuck some lights on in places where I planned on putting decals, but that will no doubt change as the build progresses. The changes were in the proportions and the removal of grilles, you'd need side by side comparisons to see they're thinner and flatter than before.

Wingsley, the rollbar is pretty integral to the design and adds a bit of balance, particularly in the side view. Without it the ship looks a little odd and unbalanced. Didn't they hack the rollbar off and use it in TNG as a ship of the week? It looked pretty awful, called it something beginning with 'L' I think; Lancaster or something?
You could have gone the same route I did with the Sparrow class, and designed her first without the equipment pack, and then integrate the equipment into the design like I did with the Falken class, but at this point, it is probably too late, and would pretty much require starting over (not that I mind the Sparrow family being unique in how I'm designing them).

I don't think I need to say that the ship you were referring to was the Lantree. I thought that the sensor/phaser pods made her look odd, but otherwise, she looked okay without the equipment rollbar.

Looks less like a Miranda refit, and more like a totally new vessel to me, akin to, and perhaps a competitor/supplement to the Merian class, and my own Sparrow/Falken class (speaking of which, I need to get back to work on).

I agree with solarbaby on the hull looking akin to the Norway class. That was my first impression. Needless to say, the modeling is what we would all expect from you.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 10:08 PM   #26
publiusr
Commodore

The sharp nacelles and edges make for a dangerous look missing on the softer Nebula.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote