Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old December 20 2012, 08:07 PM   #16
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Re: If big budget/shiny SFX space opera is out of the question...

I would much rather see something set in the prime universe than the JJ one.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 08:37 PM   #17
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Festivus Toad wrote: View Post
1966-2005 Star Trek is dead. You're not going to see it, or anything based on it anymore.
Not exactly dead, as we still have new novels and comics that take place in that continuity. But I do doubt we will see an official TV/movie production take place in it for the foreseeable future.
Old December 20 2012, 09:43 PM   #18
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Festivus Toad wrote: View Post
1966-2005 Star Trek is dead. You're not going to see it, or anything based on it anymore.
I disagree. While the 40 years of canon continuity can be a heavy tail to drag, it also provides Star Trek with a rich history to draw from and a lot of structural gravitas.

Jettison too much and Trek loses a big piece of what it is.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 11:17 PM   #19
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Disagree all you want, but you're not going to see another series or movie based on it.
Old December 20 2012, 11:50 PM   #20
thumbtack
Commodore

Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
TPTB will likely be deliberately unclear as to whether it's the old prime, or the new alternate universe.
They'll be quite clear it's neither.

FatherRob wrote: View Post
I can equally pretty much bet that it will be its own separate continuity.
The only chance of attracting the demo they'll be looking for circa 2018.
Old December 21 2012, 01:19 AM   #21
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

thumbtack wrote: View Post
Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
TPTB will likely be deliberately unclear as to whether it's the old prime, or the new alternate universe.
They'll be quite clear it's neither.
I think you underestimate the value of cross-promotional marketing. I don't think TPTB underestimate it. I would bet money any new series we see will be in the JJ-verse, animated or not.

And it will be animated.
Old December 21 2012, 01:59 AM   #22
thumbtack
Commodore

Yes, the animated one will be JJverse, but it's only 2-3 years away. I was referring to the live action series, which is a looooooooong way off.
Old December 21 2012, 06:21 AM   #23
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

That too will be tied into whatever they decide to do with the movie continuity.
Old December 21 2012, 05:53 PM   #24
thumbtack
Commodore

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
That too will be tied into whatever they decide to do with the movie continuity.
If the movies are still going in 2026.
Old December 21 2012, 06:41 PM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think the next Trek series will be a reboot. If it's an animated one, it'll be set in it's own continuity, (less Star Wars: The Clone Wars and more like Transformers Prime, G.I Joe Renegades, or Green Lantern: The Animated Series), IMO.
Old December 21 2012, 07:54 PM   #26
Stephen!
Captain

Is it specifically a problem with Star Trek, or is American TV generally just more of a difficult climate for Sci-Fi shows these days?

For example, if Doctor Who was an American show, would that likely have been cancelled by now?
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 09:11 PM   #27
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Stephen! wrote: View Post
Is it specifically a problem with Star Trek, or is American TV generally just more of a difficult climate for Sci-Fi shows these days?

For example, if Doctor Who was an American show, would that likely have been cancelled by now?
Yes.
Old December 21 2012, 09:15 PM   #28
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Definitely.

A lot of it has to do with money--sci-fi shows (especially space-oriented ones) have always been very expensive and difficult to produce in Hollywood since day one, and shows that don't have a big enough audience to justify their expense get cancelled fairly quickly (regardless of how loyal a cult following they may have). The same can be said for any TV show in any part of the world, really.

These days, a viewership between 12-15 million is ideal for a major US network, but smaller outlets can get away with less--but the shows they have tend to operate with smaller budgets as well.
Old December 21 2012, 10:24 PM   #29
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

Even if a sci-fi show gets a sizable enough audience by today's standards, it's probably not enough to float a show long term. The expensive sets, creatures, effects, etc are brutal on the bottom line.
Old December 21 2012, 11:23 PM   #30
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

A new TV series will be made based on CBS's interest in capitalizing on the brand-building work of Abrams et al. Since Bob Orci has said he's interested, he's going to be the one CBS gives the job to. Odds are strong that he's not going to suddenly turn his back on his own continuity.

So a new series isn't going to be anything odd like post-apocalyptic 22nd C Earth or an all-Klingon musical extravaganza. It will be something that the average person who liked Abrams movies will recognize as Star Trek.

The real open questions are: animated or live action? And what channel will it be on?

Is it specifically a problem with Star Trek, or is American TV generally just more of a difficult climate for Sci-Fi shows today?
The climate for sci fi is strong, especially if you take a liberal view of the definition to include anything supernatural. I have a running thread for sf/f TV news and I see news about shows in development (most of which will never see the light of day of course) all the time.

Space opera in particular is a hard sell because it combines niche interest with pricey budget needs, but couldn't you say the same of Game of Thrones? (To put it into context, GoT gets about 4 million viewers, the same level that got ENT cancelled on UPN. Yet GoT is a solid hit for HBO. 4 million subscribers supports a much bigger budget than 4 million ad viewers.) And who would have predicted a violent zombie show would be artsy AMC's biggest hit?

I see this as a problem of matching Star Trek with the right channel. I could see Showtime rolling the dice on a Star Trek series, but it would have to be shaped to fit the Showtime audience expectations, and drop many elements that are more suited to broadcast but have become Trek traditions, such as the PG-13 approach and episodic structure.

Or, I could also see an animated series that appeals primarily to kids on The Cartoon Network. I also could see Netflix and CBS teaming up to do a revival for Netflix, that would most likely hit somewhere between the traditional TOS approach and what Showtime would do. The first question to answer is, where is it going to live? That will determine the details about content and format.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; December 21 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote