Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old December 5 2012, 02:53 PM   #16
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Simon & Schuster to release ST titles in eBook omnibi?

JD wrote: View Post
We still haven't heard about any trade paperbacks for next year. Although I'd rather see more Myriad Universes, or something themed like Seven Deadly Sins.
I thought the TPBs were pretty much dead, after The Romulan War's second volume was demoted to MMPB (despite the size).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2012, 03:41 PM   #17
bullethead
Fleet Captain

ATimson wrote: View Post
We still haven't heard about any trade paperbacks for next year. Although I'd rather see more Myriad Universes, or something themed like Seven Deadly Sins.
I thought the TPBs were pretty much dead, after The Romulan War's second volume was demoted to MMPB (despite the size).
While that is a shame, I feel that a lot of the Myriad Universes stories we got could've easily been individual MMPB novels (especially in the latest volume). I just hope that it continues in some form, even if it's relegated to eBook only releases.
Old December 6 2012, 05:49 AM   #18
JD
Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
The Destiny omnibus was a trade release, so we did get one since To Brave The Storm.
Old December 6 2012, 07:25 AM   #19
DarkHorizon
Captain

Defcon wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Twenty-three dollars? Pass.
The Destiny one is listed for $11.99, but yeah there isn't really much to gain with the other two.
The prices on Amazon are a lot lower than that - $14.69 for the newer two, and although the Destiny collection is not on .com yet, the price on .co.uk is £6.99 (viz. £8.99 for the other two). For comparison, Allegiance in Exile, out at the same time, is $8.09/£4.99. Your e-book retailer may employ similar discounts.
Old December 6 2012, 02:48 PM   #20
ATimson
Rear Admiral

DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
The prices on Amazon are a lot lower than that - $14.69 for the newer two, and although the Destiny collection is not on .com yet, the price on .co.uk is £6.99 (viz. £8.99 for the other two).
That must be regional pricing - Amazon is showing me $23 in the US.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 01:28 AM   #21
JWolf
Commodore

shanejayell wrote: View Post
Wonder if we'll see a collection of Slings and Arrows?

Or a paperback, damn it.
Well, should have bought Slings and Arrows when the price was reasonable.
Old December 7 2012, 03:44 PM   #22
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

JWolf wrote: View Post

Or a paperback, damn it.
Seven dollars for a 43 page short story? I would dearly love to hear how Pocket can possibly justify that price.
Old December 7 2012, 08:54 PM   #23
JWolf
Commodore

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post

Or a paperback, damn it.
Seven dollars for a 43 page short story? I would dearly love to hear how Pocket can possibly justify that price.
Way back when before S&S went agency, the prices were reasonable. In fact, I bought all of them. Now that I have them as ePub via B&N, I may reread Slings and Arrows.
Old December 18 2012, 07:15 PM   #24
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile

These three omnibuses have covers now, they reuse the artwork from Plagues of Night, Forgotten History, and Mere Mortals. Have a looksie.

Last edited by 8of5; December 18 2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Correction
8of5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 09:06 PM   #25
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

I would have included Rough Beasts of Empire with Plagues of Night and Raise the Dawn.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 02:49 AM   #26
shanejayell
Captain

I'm also scratching my head at tossing the Temporal Investigations book in with the 'Original Series' omnibus. I mean, aren't the readers gonna be a BIT lost without the first DTI book?
Old December 19 2012, 03:39 AM   #27
Christopher
Writer

I'm also scratching my head at tossing the Temporal Investigations book in with the 'Original Series' omnibus. I mean, aren't the readers gonna be a BIT lost without the first DTI book?
Hopefully not. I was originally told it was going to be published under the TOS banner, so I approached it so that it could work as a TOS novel -- so that someone unfamiliar with DTI, or even the TNG era in general, could still follow the book. Although the same characters appear, there are virtually no references to specific plot points or story arcs from Watching the Clock. So the uninitiated reader could pick it up and just see these characters from the future as one-time guest stars, kind of like the futures glimpsed in novels like Crossroad and Imzadi.

I like to think the two DTI novels can be read in either order, which is appropriate. Indeed, I'm hoping that including FH in this TOS omnibus will introduce DTI to some fans who didn't take note of it when it was published under its own subtitle.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 01:02 PM   #28
bfollowell
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hopefully not. I was originally told it was going to be published under the TOS banner, so I approached it so that it could work as a TOS novel -- so that someone unfamiliar with DTI, or even the TNG era in general, could still follow the book. Although the same characters appear, there are virtually no references to specific plot points or story arcs from Watching the Clock. So the uninitiated reader could pick it up and just see these characters from the future as one-time guest stars, kind of like the futures glimpsed in novels like Crossroad and Imzadi.

I like to think the two DTI novels can be read in either order, which is appropriate. Indeed, I'm hoping that including FH in this TOS omnibus will introduce DTI to some fans who didn't take note of it when it was published under its own subtitle.
I have to agree with Christopher. I'm currently reading DTI: Future History, and loving it by the way, and have to say it is as much a TOS novel as a DTI novel, maybe more in some ways. I think it fits in well. Also, there are several brief mentions of the "Scagway" incident. Nothing major, just that name actually, and I take it those are references back to Grag Cox's Rings of Time which I haven't had a chance to read yet.

I'm just glad to see the covers, though it would've been nice to see some totally new art. I'm also curious what is driving this new direction and wondering if it means we may finally see the final two S.C.E. omnibus editions in ebook format.

- Byron
Old December 20 2012, 07:27 PM   #29
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

bfollowell wrote: View Post
Also, there are several brief mentions of the "Scagway" incident. Nothing major, just that name actually, and I take it those are references back to Grag Cox's Rings of Time which I haven't had a chance to read yet.
Yep!
Old January 16 2013, 02:55 PM   #30
Deano2099
Commander

Some of these are out now, David Mack's blog confirmed that the Destiny collection is the revised version http://www.davidmack.pro/blog/?tag=omnibus - and on Amazon UK at least they seem to be decent value - £7 for Destiny and £9 for the Typhon Pact book.
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote