Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old December 17 2012, 02:37 PM   #61
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Kerbal Space Program

Yeah, they really need to fix the aerodynamic model. It was an okay stand-in when there was only a handful of parts, but now its faults are too silly to ignore. They're probably not going to fix it until they add clouds and possible other weather conditions, which they're experimenting on now, but now that KSP is becoming more of a game and less of a tech-demo the placeholder physics are becoming more annoying.
Old December 19 2012, 11:22 PM   #62
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Discovered HydroJeb, which takes the tedium out of docking and has some nifty (though garishly coloured) docking cameras and targets. Seems to work very well, and the camera view is nice. Purists would argue that one ought to do such things manually (or is that, Kerbally?) but I'm more interested in designing my craft and assembling them quickly in orbit than in farting about for hours on end. It's just a game, after all... Those with excellent hand-eye coordination can do it the hard way.
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 06:55 AM   #63
sojourner
Admiral

ORDA has fully automated docking. Get within 2 kilometers. click "dock", "automated", "engage" and then sit back and watch.

There's the hardway, and then there's real life - let the computer do it.
Old December 20 2012, 08:22 AM   #64
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Indeed. Although I haven't tried ORDA, HydroJeb appears to work well. In particular, the docking camera view is a thing of beauty.
Old December 20 2012, 04:11 PM   #65
B.J.
Rear Admiral

I have a question: I haven't played the game myself, but do any of these systems (including the automated docking mod) have the potential for failure, like in real life? It would be interesting if your docking program suddenly went haywire when you're closing in on a station!
Old December 20 2012, 04:23 PM   #66
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

B.J. wrote: View Post
I have a question: I haven't played the game myself, but do any of these systems (including the automated docking mod) have the potential for failure, like in real life? It would be interesting if your docking program suddenly went haywire when you're closing in on a station!
In theory, no. However, the other day my RCS thrusters started misfiring for some reason and I had to take quick action to prevent a tumbling module from colliding with a solar panel array on my space station. I suspect that there might be a bug lurking in the docking code - or let's blame the deep space Kraken.

http://kspwiki.nexisonline.net/wiki/Deep_Space_Kraken

Old December 20 2012, 04:35 PM   #67
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Snowjourner wrote: View Post
There's the hardway, and then there's real life - let the computer do it.
But real life spaceflight isn't as fun as you'd hope. You have to endure punishing g-forces, you have to pee into a sucky hose, you can't bathe properly, you have to exercise constantly, and you can't even leave Low Earth Orbit. Other than the floating and the magnificent view, real-world spaceflight isn't all that appealing.

I don't have a problem with people using mods if that's what they find fun, but I find manual flight much more rewarding. I sometimes feel like an auto-pilot would be nice for experimental things, like when I was testing my station's lifeboat module to see if it would survive re-entry, but if I'm heading out to another planet, I want to be the one that pilots the ship, and I want to be the one that lands it. If I screw up, that's on me, but then I get to plan a rescue mission.
Old December 20 2012, 07:28 PM   #68
sojourner
Admiral

Eh, there's enough things in the game to screw up without worrying whether I have the right angle, power, and length of burn for a maneuver.
B.J. wrote: View Post
Potential failure? Oh yes. all the time. The kicker is that the potential is not intentional. Remember, these are mods written by amateurs (talented though they may be) for a game that is still only in .18 release.
Old December 21 2012, 01:36 AM   #69
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

The control systems in the *Jeb mods appear to suffer from underdamping and so overshoot their target setting quite a lot - possibly because reliable information about moment of inertia is not available.
Old December 21 2012, 05:56 AM   #70
sojourner
Admiral

I never had any issues with underdamping. Of course I haven't tried it since 1.0.3 came out.
Old December 21 2012, 11:23 AM   #71
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I might have a go at hacking a fix as it shouldn't require much advanced knowledge of C#, just a little research on SharpDevelop. It's not high on my to-do list though.
Old December 21 2012, 03:21 PM   #72
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Bah, I'm halfway through my project of landing probes on all the worlds in the game when they release an update with a new one. Damn them for adding content!

By the way, Saturn0660, if you haven't bought the game yet it is on sale for 25% off until Christmas. It's probably the cheapest it will be for a long while.
Old December 21 2012, 07:56 PM   #73
sojourner
Admiral

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
I might have a go at hacking a fix as it shouldn't require much advanced knowledge of C#, just a little research on SharpDevelop. It's not high on my to-do list though.
Seems there was a pretty big nerf to RCS in the .18.2 release of Kerbal yesterday. The problem may not be with mechjeb.
Old December 22 2012, 05:24 AM   #74
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Nope i didn't buy it.. Now i need to.
Old January 4 2013, 02:42 PM   #75
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Seems there was a pretty big nerf to RCS in the .18.2 release of Kerbal yesterday. The problem may not be with mechjeb.
I read that previously there was a bug in the physics engine that allowed you to attain orbit on RCS power alone - just by placing the thrusters far enough away from the centre of mass. Wacky...