Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 17 2012, 08:43 PM   #46
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: zippers and carpet seams = new revelations in HD on TNG-R

In HD it's really obvious now what a rough and poorly painted prop the monitor is on Picard's desk. Especially in eps like Contagion.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 03:18 AM   #47
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Yeah, there are certainly some drawbacks or discrepancies that should have been corrected, but then others left alone. It is amazing how much we don't notice in the lower resolution media. However, also remember that with the scene pacing, one wouldn't expect people to divert their attention away from the main activity at hand. That's why they didn't bother to waste time painting the underside of hand rails, just in case there's a low to the floor shot one day. We have the luxury of time with the media in our possession; free to watch, freeze-frame, and re-watch to notice lots of things.
Old December 19 2012, 05:18 PM   #48
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

And people ask why I am not an HD buff.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 08:25 PM   #49
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

BillJ wrote: View Post
JJohnson wrote: View Post
They should've made the monitors on the TOS bridge look more alive rather than as the gel sheets they were.
No, they really shouldn't. They needed to respect the work all those people did all those years ago. If you need artificial blinkies that look more modern, go watch *Star Trek 2009.

* Not a slam at the film.
They also need to respect the original intent of the writers and if the budgets and methods of 1980s production prevented them from getting their story across as they intended, and the technology exists today to correct that, then that is what they should do.

It would be immensely frustrating and downright wrong to still have the Enterprise firing phaser shots from its photon torpedo launcher in Darmok for example, when we get to series 5.

Also the 2ft model used in the time tunnel looks downright appaling in Time Squared. No-one would object to a swish new CG Enterprise in that episode, methinks.
Old December 20 2012, 06:36 AM   #50
JJohnson
Captain

Dick_Valentine wrote: View Post
They should've made the monitors on the TOS bridge look more alive rather than as the gel sheets they were.
No, they really shouldn't. They needed to respect the work all those people did all those years ago. If you need artificial blinkies that look more modern, go watch *Star Trek 2009.

* Not a slam at the film.
They also need to respect the original intent of the writers and if the budgets and methods of 1980s production prevented them from getting their story across as they intended, and the technology exists today to correct that, then that is what they should do.

It would be immensely frustrating and downright wrong to still have the Enterprise firing phaser shots from its photon torpedo launcher in Darmok for example, when we get to series 5.

Also the 2ft model used in the time tunnel looks downright appaling in Time Squared. No-one would object to a swish new CG Enterprise in that episode, methinks.
Agreed. The misaligned phaser in season 5 should be fixed. If the lighting passes are misaligned, they should be fixed. If Data's makeup comes off or Worf's looks particularly poorly matched to Dorn's skin, by all means, fix it. Those kinds of things detract from the experience and suspension of disbelief, especially in HD. Go ahead and give new shots of the ship like TOS-R so it isn't the same 8 shots of the Enterprise every single episode. That was one of the great things in TOS-R...it added to the show to have those new shots and new planets to look forward to each episode. I don't see that as disrespecting the original intent, but fulfilling it.
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 10:55 AM   #51
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

"No-one", really? I'm fairly certain lots of people would object to a restoration project that doesn't restore what was actually filmed.
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 04:10 PM   #52
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
"No-one", really? I'm fairly certain lots of people would object to a restoration project that doesn't restore what was actually filmed.
Winner. I just wanted the film elements cleaned up and put on the discs and replace the effects that couldn't be carried over.

And I don't want the two-foot or the four-foot models replaced. For good or ill, they were there and they were created by people who put a lot of work into them.
Old December 21 2012, 03:26 AM   #53
Dick_Valentine
Commander

View Dick_Valentine's Twitter Profile

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Winner. I just wanted the film elements cleaned up and put on the discs and replace the effects that couldn't be carried over.

And I don't want the two-foot or the four-foot models replaced. For good or ill, they were there and they were created by people who put a lot of work into them.
....and then ruined by people who couldn't be bothered transferring that work correctly
Old December 22 2012, 12:55 PM   #54
inflatabledalek
Captain

In Q Who, after the ship is carved up like a roast and Worf is giving his report on the number of dead, you can see two tiny, tiny black holes on the seam of his uniform arm that suggest it's tearing.

Also, at the start of that scene when Picard walks on the bridge he stops a little behind a white mark on the carpet. Hard to tell if this is the remains of a mark or just general uncleanliness.
Old December 28 2012, 10:19 PM   #55
BRUNT[FCA]
Cadet

davejames wrote: View Post
I'm noticing a lot more splotches and marks on the bridge carpet. Such as when Data falls to the floor in Justice.

And when Data pulls the chinese fingertrap off his finger in Last Outpost, you can clear see that the makeup has come off to reveal his normal skin color.
Little stuff like that - that's what CG color correction should be used for!
That's exactly what TNG on BR should be used for. Color correct and digitally 'erase' errors in the sets...erase marks, make the monitors more 'alive', erase those black covers on the back stations, correct makeup rubbing off, etc. They should've made the monitors on the TOS bridge look more alive rather than as the gel sheets they were.

Glad to see i wasn't the only one to notice this. thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me. They're on screen for most of the foreground Bridge action...and a couple of occasions in Engineering....
BRUNT[FCA] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2012, 02:02 AM   #56
Lance
Fleet Captain

I do have to admit, watching The Naked Now the other night on BD for the first time, it really did occur to me that Jonathan Frakes had obviously forgotten to shave that day. He sports a considerable 5 o'clock shadow throughout the episode, giving one the impression of The Famous Beard™ beginning to make it's mighty presence known.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2013, 04:03 PM   #57
xvicente
Commander

It would be immensely frustrating and downright wrong to still have the Enterprise firing phaser shots from its photon torpedo launcher in Darmok for example
I hope not to stray too much off topic now, but this reminded me the Defiant in the ENT mirror-universe episode shot a photon from a 'wrong' location, obviously even CGI fx are liable to make those mistakes.
xvicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2013, 05:17 PM   #58
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Lance wrote: View Post
I do have to admit, watching The Naked Now the other night on BD for the first time, it really did occur to me that Jonathan Frakes had obviously forgotten to shave that day. He sports a considerable 5 o'clock shadow throughout the episode, giving one the impression of The Famous Beard™ beginning to make it's mighty presence known.
If it is consistent within the pisode, then that is not a problem for me.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote