TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old December 20 2012, 05:31 AM   #31
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Re: Was Voyager better?

TNG was the far better show than Voyager, but that had most to do with two things: Patrick Stewart, and the writing of individual episodes. Otherwise I think the intellectually progressive nature of the show is what makes it stand out as 'special'. TNG was something special and unique, Voyager was just a pretty good spaceship show.

Voyager, however, has the better secondary cast. TNG's Roddenberry box was a double-edged blade. On one hand, Starfleet officers should seem like consumate professionals, not catty drama queens. On the other hand, it would have benefited from characters to counterbalance Picard and Worf's stiff introversion that weren't just exaggerated female stereotypes. Voyager's cast had so much untapped potential. Chakotay conformed immediately, Kim never did anything but shut up and do his duty. B'elana's rough edges never showed through after the eighth episode or so, Paris's showed up for one episode here and there then went away. But even the neglected characters got me more invested than characters like Troi or Laforge.

If Voyager stuck to its premise it could have been something more special, but it decided in the end just to try to be TNG only without the commitment of message.
JirinPanthosa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 02:29 PM   #32
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Voyager "true to it's premise" = Stargate Universe. And we saw how that turned out.

the only thing the Next Generation crew had in common was brightly coloured spandex. The Voyager crew were a small community with a shared goal. It made all the difference. Their interactions were more realistic, less sterile than TNG.
Old December 20 2012, 04:06 PM   #33
Creatre
Ensign

I felt like TNG had the better stories, DS9 the better characterization and interaction, and Voyager had the best "fuzziness." What I mean by that is I could sit down and watch a horrible episode (which there were many in Voyager), and I would still smile or feel good by watching it. There was something about the series that just made you feel good and take you out of the real world when watching it. Like has already been said in this thread, I think it may have had to do something with how the other series were so serious, and this one just felt more loose somehow.
Old December 21 2012, 09:53 AM   #34
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

If I want good stories with seriousness, characterization, interaction AND fuzziness I'll take TOS. Granted the fuzziness part is the fuzziness of time which sentimentalizes it into an old friend.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 11:39 AM   #35
MacLeod
Admiral

JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
TNG was the far better show than Voyager, but that had most to do with two things: Patrick Stewart, and the writing of individual episodes. Otherwise I think the intellectually progressive nature of the show is what makes it stand out as 'special'. TNG was something special and unique, Voyager was just a pretty good spaceship show.

Voyager, however, has the better secondary cast. TNG's Roddenberry box was a double-edged blade. On one hand, Starfleet officers should seem like consumate professionals, not catty drama queens. On the other hand, it would have benefited from characters to counterbalance Picard and Worf's stiff introversion that weren't just exaggerated female stereotypes. Voyager's cast had so much untapped potential. Chakotay conformed immediately, Kim never did anything but shut up and do his duty. B'elana's rough edges never showed through after the eighth episode or so, Paris's showed up for one episode here and there then went away. But even the neglected characters got me more invested than characters like Troi or Laforge.

If Voyager stuck to its premise it could have been something more special, but it decided in the end just to try to be TNG only without the commitment of message.
I would disagree and say DSN had the best secondary cast for the most part, Dukat, Damar, Weyoun, Garak to name just a few. As for it's primary cast most of them got developed well, had episodes focused on them. True some more than others.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 03:55 PM   #36
Creatre
Ensign

MacLeod wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post

I would disagree and say DSN had the best secondary cast for the most part, Dukat, Damar, Weyoun, Garak to name just a few. As for it's primary cast most of them got developed well, had episodes focused on them. True some more than others.
I agree, well said.
Old December 22 2012, 05:21 PM   #37
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Voyager "true to it's premise" = Stargate Universe. And we saw how that turned out.
Tuvok would smack you across the face for that "logic".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22 2012, 11:28 PM   #38
teacake
Fleet Admiral

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Also the crew's devotion to Janeway sometimes comes across as cultish rather then family like.
I think that's part of the appeal.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 23 2012, 12:51 AM   #39
lurok
Commodore

I just think comparing DS9 and VOY is like comparing...oh, I don't know...chalk and cheese.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 01:09 AM   #40
teacake
Fleet Admiral

That can be taken in many different ways

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 23 2012, 07:17 PM   #41
lurok
Commodore

I really like DS9, but I'm really frakkin' sick of DS9 lovers going *whine* "Our series is so much better/smarter/more serialized than yours". *end whine*

It's still just dumb ol' Trek. Fuck you.
Old December 23 2012, 07:24 PM   #42
Transphasic
Cadet

Location: First Star to the Right and Straight on til Morning

All i know (and yes that isn't much) is that when i want a little Trek Therapy an episode of VOY is so much more soothing than one of DS9. DS9 is great for a binge weekend but VOY is better for a little instant gratification. And no that isn't a bad thing.

All Hail Janeway, Patron Saint of those far from home
Transphasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2012, 07:36 PM   #43
lurok
Commodore

Old December 24 2012, 12:04 AM   #44
teacake
Fleet Admiral

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old December 24 2012, 04:07 AM   #45
R. Star
Rear Admiral

jinglebellrok wrote: View Post
I really like DS9, but I'm really frakkin' sick of DS9 lovers going *whine* "Our series is so much better/smarter/more serialized than yours". *end whine*

It's still just dumb ol' Trek. Fuck you.
So in speaking against people talking down about other Trek series.... you think it's alright to talk down to them?