New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
A+ 32 16.58%
A 52 26.94%
A- 38 19.69%
B+ 28 14.51%
B 15 7.77%
B- 9 4.66%
C+ 1 0.52%
C 8 4.15%
C- 2 1.04%
D+ 3 1.55%
D 1 0.52%
D- 3 1.55%
F 1 0.52%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 20 2012, 08:31 AM   #256
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Gimli hadn't been born yet at the time of Erebor's sacking. The only other Dwarf I recognized in the flashbacks, aside from Thorin, was Balin.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 02:50 PM   #257
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
Also, is there some kind of explanation in the books as to why the giant eagles don't just fly Gandalf and the gang all the way to their destination? Like maybe they aren't able to leave a certain area? Or they don't want to get too close and risk the dragon sensing them?
AvBaur wrote: View Post
I guess the idea is that the eagles aren't actually all that keen on interfering in the business of the other peoples of Middle Earth. But they'll do the occasional small favor for their good friend Gandalf.
Mr Light wrote: View Post
I believe the Eagles are direct servants of god, like the Wizards, and so only help the heroes enough to get them to the next stage of their development.
The problem lies also lies with how Peter Jackson depicts the Eagles' rescues in both the trilogy and The Hobbit. In the trilogy, Gwaihir rescues Gandalf from Orthanc because he happens to passing by the area, not because he was summoned by Gandalf. Additionally, in The Hobbit, the eagles only happened to be in the area and decided to help out, and again, they were not summoned by Gandalf. In each case, there's a certain reluctance on their part to help out and only helped out in a limited manner and out of favor to Radagast, neither of which is clear in Fellowship of the Ring or An Unexpected Journey.
Um, each time Gandalf in the films needs help from the Eagles, he get's a moth, whispers something and then they appear. It happened at Orthanic, it happened at the Black Gate and it happened when they were in "the frying pan" so each time, they were summoned by Gandalf.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 02:57 PM   #258
Mr Light
Admiral

I just read the Eagles part of the Hobbit and they refuse to go anywhere near Men because they shoot at them for eating their sheep. And the "Lord of the Eagles" only came to save them because he saw the wargs and goblins and wanted to see what they were doing.

Of course, this was written before he did LOTR and retroactively created the whole mythology.

Mr Light is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 04:36 PM   #259
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Also, is there some kind of explanation in the books as to why the giant eagles don't just fly Gandalf and the gang all the way to their destination? Like maybe they aren't able to leave a certain area? Or they don't want to get too close and risk the dragon sensing them?

I believe the Eagles are direct servants of god, like the Wizards, and so only help the heroes enough to get them to the next stage of their development.
The problem lies also lies with how Peter Jackson depicts the Eagles' rescues in both the trilogy and The Hobbit. In the trilogy, Gwaihir rescues Gandalf from Orthanc because he happens to passing by the area, not because he was summoned by Gandalf. Additionally, in The Hobbit, the eagles only happened to be in the area and decided to help out, and again, they were not summoned by Gandalf. In each case, there's a certain reluctance on their part to help out and only helped out in a limited manner and out of favor to Radagast, neither of which is clear in Fellowship of the Ring or An Unexpected Journey.
Um, each time Gandalf in the films needs help from the Eagles, he get's a moth, whispers something and then they appear. It happened at Orthanic, it happened at the Black Gate and it happened when they were in "the frying pan" so each time, they were summoned by Gandalf.
The three eagles. Dues. Ex. And Machina.

I hate the eagles as a story telling device.
Old December 20 2012, 04:46 PM   #260
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
Gimli hadn't been born yet at the time of Erebor's sacking. The only other Dwarf I recognized in the flashbacks, aside from Thorin, was Balin.
Dwalin was in the flashbacks too. He had a mohawk back then.
Old December 20 2012, 05:28 PM   #261
Mach5
Rear Admiral

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-th...ected-journey/

They didn't exactly trash it, but you're gonna hear the word "but" a lot.

Mike kinda shat on LOTR novels, though. He actually said he couldn't get pass the page 50. Something about Tolkien's excessive use of the word "fortnight"

As for the HFR, they both agreed it looked like "absolute garbage".

Last edited by Mach5; December 20 2012 at 05:40 PM.
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 07:22 PM   #262
Saul
Rear Admiral

Saw the movie yesterday. 48fps is off putting and I hate the thought that every 48fps movie my eyes will have to take time to adjust before it feels normal.

The movie itself is nice and done as I imagine but for a large scale movie it's lacking a bigger villainous presence that the LOTR films had. I echo what others have said that this feels like the extended version already. Can you imagine how long the bluray will be..

I haven't read the book, but is Gandalf coming to the rescue at the last minute going to be a continual thing? Because by the third time it happened in this movie it was already starting to seem a bit ridiculous.
Pretty much. But by the time they hit Mirkwood he buggers off on some important business. So movie 2 will have our characters screwed for most of it.
Old December 20 2012, 07:24 PM   #263
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Garrovick wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
AvBaur wrote: View Post
Did you miss the parts where Gandalf sends messages to the eagles via insects? (a moth and a butterfly, respectively)
He meant that in the books they happened to be there, while in the films they were summoned by Gandalf.
Actually, if memory serves, in Fellowship of the Ring (the novel, not the film), Gwaihir rescues Gandalf from Orthanc because Radagast asked Gwaihir to report to Gandalf on the movements of Sauron's forces and Gandalf had informed Radagast that he was on his way to consult with Saruman regarding the overall situation, so Gwaihir knew to look for Gandalf at Isengard. So, while Gandalf didn't summon Gwaihir directly in the novel, it also wasn't just a coincidence.
I stand corrected on that count. However, my point remains the same: Gandalf didn't summon them and the eagles only helped because they were in the area.

Dimesdan wrote: View Post

As JarodRussell already pointed out, I was referring to the books. Sorry I wasn't clear.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 09:30 PM   #264
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I gave it an A+.

I loved the LOTR movies and while I was delighted that Jackson was returning to Middle Earth. But I was fully prepared to be disappointed by LOTR. I didn't like the look of the dwarves in the promos. I'd heard bad reports of the 48r. And the padding out of the story seemed a bad omen - sometimes less is more. And I'd seen some so-so reviews.

But my doubts were unwarranted. When I went to see the movie today, I was tired, I was wet, I was hungry (skipped lunch to see it) and cold. My friend who I was supposed to go see it with couldn't make it, so I went alone. And yet, none of that mattered as I sat enthralled for nearly 3 hours.

Yes, it could have done with some trimming and the 48 thingy was distracting at times, for reasons others have undoubtedly explained - though when it was good, it was very good. But ultimately, the movie was a blast, a wonderful return to Middle Earth. Martin Freeman was as good as ever and subtly yet recognisably channelled Ian Holm.

I would put this on a par with Fellowship; like it, it wasn't perfect but was a great introduction. And like FOTR, it left you wanting more and knowing the best was to come.
Old December 20 2012, 10:31 PM   #265
Davros
Fleet Admiral

I'm glad the movie stayed true to the Denny's Menu.
Old December 21 2012, 02:25 AM   #266
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

FWIW, I don't think this movie was necessarily padded to make it three movies. I think the Radagast and White Council scenes would have been cut, but that's it. Rather, fear about padding is most related to the next two.
Old December 21 2012, 03:30 AM   #267
Mike Farley
Commodore

I'd say they definitely not just could have, but should have cut the Old Bilbo/Frodo sequence.
Mike Farley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 04:08 AM   #268
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Just got back from seeing the 48fps version and I have to say I didn't see any improvement and was very distracted whenever there was any find of fast movement (although I eventually got use to it). Not really seeing the benefit ever doing 48fps. But then I say the same thing about 3D...

Now that I've seen the film a second time, I have to turn a more critical eye on it. There were several things this time around that really bothered me about the film:

1. As already mentioned by others (including myself), the slapstick action that one would expect from a Wile E. Coyote cartoon. The worse perpetrators of this were the Company falling through the trap door, Bilbo falling through the crack, and the Company sliding down the gorge and crushed by the Goblin King at the end.

2. The ending could have been much tighter. There was no need for worthless face-off between Thorin and Azog, other than to show Bilbo's worth in Thorin's eyes but I feel like there was no need for that yet. After the long action sequence underneath the Misty Mountains, the added drawn out action in the trees quickly becomes tiresome. It would have been far better for them to be chased up the trees, the fire gets started, everything looks dire, and then suddenly the eagles save the day. End the film with the same final closing scene (Bilbo can prove his worth in smaller way, I guess while up in the trees like knocking down a warg that would have otherwise gotten Thorin or another dwarf).

3. I really hate to say this, but unlike the previous films, I feel like there was only a series of great of moments instead of a continuous stream of great storytelling. There were some moments where I felt like I was waiting for a scene to end in order to get to the part I knew I enjoyed. "Yes, yes, enough of the orcs and wargs chasing the Company, let's get to Rivendell with Cheery Elrond and the White Council already!" or "Hurry up and get to the Riddles in the Dark." Whereas in the previous films, there were only a few scenes I felt like I wanted to quickly move through (usually anything involving Arwen).

This all being said, however, I still enjoy the film immensely and don't think its overpadded at all (with the exception of the climax as already described). Martin Freeman is the heart and soul of the film (stealing all of Ian McKellan's thunder), and whenever it's focused on him, the film shines.

Incidentally, I think Cheery Elrond and the White Council would make for an awesome band name.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2012, 04:29 AM   #269
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Given that this is a fantastical setting I was somewhat distracted by the rather elaborate and over-the-top falls and such our characters fell through and survived. A lot of just seemed way over the top. These guys must have some massive bonuses to their saving throws on Reflex because, DAMN most of these falls and stuff were just absurd.

I did love the bit with Bilbo finding his ring and his little riddle game with Golumn.
Old December 21 2012, 04:37 AM   #270
JD
Admiral

I just saw this with my mom this morning and I loved it and she liked it. I decided to do the 48f version, and I really liked it. I loved how clear and smooth it was.
As for the movie itself, I don't really have any big complaints. My only real concern going in was how well the added stuff was going to integrated into Bilbo and the Dwarves story, but I thought it was done perfectly. If I didn't know it was added going in I would have just assumed that was all in the original novel. I give it an A+ and my mom gives it an A (I just voted for myself, so her A isn't in the poll).
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote