Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 17 2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain
Picard Quote

In Encounter at Farpoint, when Q is first appearing to the crew in various outfits, Picard states that the military uniform Q shows up in is a 'costume.'

I don't understand Picard's reasoning for this. Surely he has some respect for ancient civilizations. To just put down a military uniform like that seems very disrespectful and totally out of character for Picard.
Captain McBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 07:44 AM   #2
sadsquid
Lieutenant

Re: Picard Quote

I think it was because Q was the one wearing it. Q did nothing to earn that uniform, had absolutely nothing to do with it, so he's just wearing it like a 'costume'.
sadsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Captain McBain
Captain

Location: Being congratulated on the bridge of the Enterprise after making captain

No, Picard stated that it was the humans who were wearing 'costumes.'
Old December 18 2012, 01:58 AM   #4
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Well Roddenberryesque Trek did have the 24th century humans all but glowing in moral superiority and poorly veiled condescension.
Old December 18 2012, 10:52 AM   #5
Tiberius
Commodore

Captain McBain wrote: View Post
In Encounter at Farpoint, when Q is first appearing to the crew in various outfits, Picard states that the military uniform Q shows up in is a 'costume.'

I don't understand Picard's reasoning for this. Surely he has some respect for ancient civilizations. To just put down a military uniform like that seems very disrespectful and totally out of character for Picard.
Well, it all depends.

If that particular military force was nothing but the personal police of a brutal dictator who used it only to protect his own power, I'd feel it was justified calling it a costume. Considering that members of this military had no problems executing their own and were controlled with drugs, I doubt it was a well disciplined force meant to protect a civilian populace.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 06:25 PM   #6
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Tiberius wrote: View Post
Well, it all depends.

If that particular military force was nothing but the personal police of a brutal dictator who used it only to protect his own power, I'd feel it was justified calling it a costume. Considering that members of this military had no problems executing their own and were controlled with drugs, I doubt it was a well disciplined force meant to protect a civilian populace.
I can't recall exactly which uniform Q was wearing when Picard said that, but I think it was the US or French uniform - not quite appropriate to call it a "costume", unlike the fictional 21st century soldier. Also an odd choice since Roddenberry had a military background. Was he ashamed of his wartime experience? Anytime the notion of military popped up in Trek, he got angry (Star Trek VI, in particular). Yet Starfleet mirrors the US Navy, but Roddenberry always said it was a peaceful organization. Eh, too much to wrap my head around. I prefer post-Roddenberry Trek anyway (ST 2-6, post S2 TNG, DS9). It dispenses with the "Mary Sue" humanity.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Mott the barber
Commodore

It was also the pilot and god knows there's lots of things we can give a "pass" to from that ep.
Old December 18 2012, 07:59 PM   #8
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Probably just sloppy writing. So folks think costume and uniform are the same thing.
Old December 18 2012, 08:07 PM   #9
sonak
Vice Admiral

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
Well Roddenberryesque Trek did have the 24th century humans all but glowing in moral superiority and poorly veiled condescension.

yeah, I think this is pretty much the explanation for this scene. It's early TNG, and Picard is showing what a "superior 24th century Human" he is.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 12:14 AM   #10
indolover
Fleet Captain

Looked like a WWII general's uniform to me. I agree it seems odd, as Picard is the history/anthropology buff.

that said, I think the pilot's theme (but not plot) was pretentious. Why would some omnipotent choose humans to be their rivals and successors? I think this reeked of the Great Bird.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 01:39 AM   #11
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

indolover wrote: View Post
Looked like a WWII general's uniform to me. I agree it seems odd, as Picard is the history/anthropology buff.

that said, I think the pilot's theme (but not plot) was pretentious. Why would some omnipotent choose humans to be their rivals and successors? I think this reeked of the Great Bird.
It kind of flies in the face of the ideals behind the Federation and gives credence to the "Homo Sapiens Only Club" concept.
Old December 20 2012, 02:24 AM   #12
Captain McBain
Captain

In "The Royale," Picard and company seem to show respect for NASA and the dead officer which the away team came upon.
Old December 24 2012, 01:25 AM   #13
Salinga
Captain

In Encounter at Farpoint, when Q is first appearing to the crew in various outfits, Picard states that the military uniform Q shows up in is a 'costume.' I don't understand Picard's reasoning for this.
Well, because the uniforms showed off all the colorfull decorations for the person inside it. Starfleet uniforms dont do that anymore: They are plain, only show the rank and the function, but no decorations; they dont serve the ego of the officer, their purpose is not to impress.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 02:02 AM   #14
Dream
Admiral

Santa Kang wrote: View Post
indolover wrote: View Post

It kind of flies in the face of the ideals behind the Federation and gives credence to the "Homo Sapiens Only Club" concept.
Well, the Q only put humanity and not the Federation on trial. Nice that we were worthy of their attention.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2012, 02:23 AM   #15
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

In "The Royale," Picard and company seem to show respect for NASA and the dead officer which the away team came upon.
Well, the astronaut was an explorer. From the 24c perspective military men were people, as Q nicely put it, "squabbled over the resources of your world or over tribal god-images." In a peaceful time where humans aren't so violent, yeah, they may not look too kindly on military men who fought in wars.