Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old December 18 2012, 03:18 PM   #136
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: What Took So Long...why we're only getting a new movie now...

The way shows are axed left and right without given much chance to grow these days, an animated show is the only Trek that has any shot to last on tv right now.
Maybe after a couple more successful movies we can start thinking about live action.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 05:36 PM   #137
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
The way shows are axed left and right without given much chance to grow these days, an animated show is the only Trek that has any shot to last on tv right now.
Maybe after a couple more successful movies we can start thinking about live action.
This.

Any network worth bragging about being on cancels shows after half a season if a sereis isn't a bonafide hit. The network with the rights to Star Trek, CBS, isn't going to waste an hour a week because they hold the honor of having the #1 show, #1 new show, #1 comedy...blah blah blah. They know what works and they have little patience for something that doesn't.

If Seinfield or Cheers or Friends or really any TV show you remember from the past 30 years were to premiere today, it would be yanked off the air by the end of it's first season for not performing. The suits simply don't believe in waiting.

They're all looking for the next American Idol, or some show who's cost is a fraction of the revinue.

Trek, by it's nature...it's an expensive show. Unless you'd be willing to watch Syfy movie of the week effects. God help the endless nerdrage threads in here if that were to happen.

So, we're stuck with this. As much as all of us would gladly welcome a new series with open arms...we'd all get tired of it because modern TV isn't pumping out TOS or TNG. It's pumping out Enterprise. It's not going to ever pump out TOS or TNG again. The networks owe us nothing and they're only in it for money. How to they make money? By getting good add buys. How do they get those? Buy appealing to the widest audience possible in the shortest amount of time.

Star Trek doesn't fit that model.
Old December 18 2012, 07:08 PM   #138
RoJoHen
Awesome

Trek fans can be so ungrateful sometimes. How many Trek series do we already have? How many movies do we already have?

Now, how many other franchises in the history of TV and movies have anywhere near that amount of stuff? Plenty of very popular shows never come back. I'm not saying you have to be happy with the direction modern Trek is taking, but you should feel lucky that Trek didn't end forever back in the 60s, because it very easily could have.
Old December 18 2012, 08:43 PM   #139
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

There have been 703 (I think?) episodes of Star Trek.

Laid end to end, it spans 28 television seasons.

If you watched The Cage this week, and watched one new episode a week, you would watch These Are The Voyages... the week of June 21, 2026.

If you conceived a child after watching The Cage, they would be in 8th grade when you ended the tradition.

There have been more movies with Star Trek in the title than any other franchise besides Friday the 13th (12) or James Bond (23). In May, Star Trek will be tied for 2nd.

If it were one series it would be the most successful television series in American history beating Gunsmoke by almost 70 episodes. I don't count WWE Raw because it's shit.
Old December 18 2012, 10:06 PM   #140
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Yminale wrote: View Post
If that's true why not hand off ST to someone else and you have the best of both worlds. I suspect there is more to the story than "I'll get to it when I'm ready"
There'd be a contractual agreement for three movies, and estimated dates. I seem to recall Bad Robot successfully renegotiated a change of start date for the second film. Paramount would have been extremely shortsighted to have remained inflexible.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 11:38 PM   #141
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Festivus Toad wrote: View Post

If you watched The Cage this week, and watched one new episode a week, you would watch These Are The Voyages... the week of June 21, 2026.

If you conceived a child after watching The Cage, they would be in 8th grade when you ended the tradition.

There have been more movies with Star Trek in the title than any other franchise besides Friday the 13th (12) or James Bond (23). In May, Star Trek will be tied for 2nd.

If it were one series it would be the most successful television series in American history beating Gunsmoke by almost 70 episodes. I don't count WWE Raw because it's shit.
Brilliant.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 04:32 PM   #142
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Trek fans can be so ungrateful sometimes. How many Trek series do we already have? How many movies do we already have?

Now, how many other franchises in the history of TV and movies have anywhere near that amount of stuff? Plenty of very popular shows never come back. I'm not saying you have to be happy with the direction modern Trek is taking, but you should feel lucky that Trek didn't end forever back in the 60s, because it very easily could have.
It's no wonder that there are jokes about trekies never getting laid.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 05:06 PM   #143
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

This.

If I get an urge to watch Trek between new movies I own more than enough of it on various home formats to keep me busy for a long time.
Old December 19 2012, 05:37 PM   #144
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post

This.

If I get an urge to watch Trek between new movies I own more than enough of it on various home formats to keep me busy for a long time.
And, of course, there's a new book every month . . .
Old December 19 2012, 06:22 PM   #145
BillJ
Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post

I've bought so many books you've written, I should get a preferred customer card!
Old December 19 2012, 09:59 PM   #146
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I've bought so many books you've written, I should get a preferred customer card!
Will you settle for my heartfelt thanks?
Old December 19 2012, 10:13 PM   #147
BillJ
Admiral

Will you settle for my heartfelt thanks?
Of course!