Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
A+ 32 16.58%
A 52 26.94%
A- 38 19.69%
B+ 28 14.51%
B 15 7.77%
B- 9 4.66%
C+ 1 0.52%
C 8 4.15%
C- 2 1.04%
D+ 3 1.55%
D 1 0.52%
D- 3 1.55%
F 1 0.52%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 19 2012, 07:02 PM   #241
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile
Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
The problem lies also lies with how Peter Jackson depicts the Eagles' rescues in both the trilogy and The Hobbit. In the trilogy, Gwaihir rescues Gandalf from Orthanc because he happens to passing by the area, not because he was summoned by Gandalf. Additionally, in The Hobbit, the eagles only happened to be in the area and decided to help out, and again, they were not summoned by Gandalf.
Did you miss the parts where Gandalf sends messages to the eagles via insects? (a moth and a butterfly, respectively)
Old December 19 2012, 07:03 PM   #242
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

AvBaur wrote: View Post
The problem lies also lies with how Peter Jackson depicts the Eagles' rescues in both the trilogy and The Hobbit. In the trilogy, Gwaihir rescues Gandalf from Orthanc because he happens to passing by the area, not because he was summoned by Gandalf. Additionally, in The Hobbit, the eagles only happened to be in the area and decided to help out, and again, they were not summoned by Gandalf.
Did you miss the parts where Gandalf sends messages to the eagles via insects? (a moth and a butterfly, respectively)
He meant that in the books they happened to be there, while in the films they were summoned by Gandalf.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 07:16 PM   #243
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
This might make Gandalf seem like a manipulative jerk, but I'm not so sure he isn't.
Manipulative, yes... but jerk? Only when necessary.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 07:49 PM   #244
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
He meant that in the books they happened to be there, while in the films they were summoned by Gandalf.
Ah, I guess I misunderstood that, then. Also, it's been a while since I've read the books...
Old December 19 2012, 11:26 PM   #245
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Anybody else noticed how similar Oin looks to older Koloth?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 11:27 PM   #246
Garrovick
Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Actually, if memory serves, in Fellowship of the Ring (the novel, not the film), Gwaihir rescues Gandalf from Orthanc because Radagast asked Gwaihir to report to Gandalf on the movements of Sauron's forces and Gandalf had informed Radagast that he was on his way to consult with Saruman regarding the overall situation, so Gwaihir knew to look for Gandalf at Isengard. So, while Gandalf didn't summon Gwaihir directly in the novel, it also wasn't just a coincidence.
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20 2012, 12:09 AM   #247
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Garrovick wrote: View Post
Actually, if memory serves, in Fellowship of the Ring (the novel, not the film), Gwaihir rescues Gandalf from Orthanc because Radagast asked Gwaihir to report to Gandalf on the movements of Sauron's forces and Gandalf had informed Radagast that he was on his way to consult with Saruman regarding the overall situation, so Gwaihir knew to look for Gandalf at Isengard. So, while Gandalf didn't summon Gwaihir directly in the novel, it also wasn't just a coincidence.
Correct
Old December 20 2012, 12:30 AM   #248
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Solid B+
Old December 20 2012, 02:24 AM   #249
Klaus
Rear Admiral

So I saw it a 2nd time in 48fps 3D after 2D on opening night... I'm not entirely sold, but it was very interesting. As others have, I found it distracting in the interior close-ups, especially early on, but I did like it in the action sequences. It was definitely a different experience than regular projection, but my reaction is mixed.

One thing I wonder is what it would look like in 48fps 2D... I don't much like 3D and wouldn't have gone to see it that way w/o the HFR option. I'd really like to see it in HFR 2D, but I guess that's not going to happen until at least the BR comes out.

I find 3D to be useless fluff/eyestrain for the most part... the only gotcha! moment for me was the moth flying "out of the screen" after talking to Gandalf -- that looked cool. Other than that the most impressive 3D part was the WB logo in the beginning lol.

Oh, I think PJ is the fat hobbit swigging from a bottle on Bagshot Row right after Bilbo's first talk w/Gandalf...

Still a great deal of fun, and I'll stick w/my A-.
Old December 20 2012, 04:43 AM   #250
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Did it look OK when you saw it in 2D?
Old December 20 2012, 05:10 AM   #251
Klaus
Rear Admiral

I liked it a lot in 2D, there were a few moments of iffy CGI, mainly the wargs...
Old December 20 2012, 05:57 AM   #252
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Just got back from it. I really enjoyed it. Not likely to be a movie I'll ever watch again or own on home video, but I did like the movie and look forward to the future installations in the series. Good fun character moments (loved the scene between Bilbo and Gollumn) and little touches. I'd grade it a B+.
Old December 20 2012, 06:29 AM   #253
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Set Harth wrote: View Post
Did it look OK when you saw it in 2D?
My biggest gripe about the 2D version is that it seemed like the lip-sync was slightly off (as compared to the 3D HFR version). Perhaps it was just my theater, but it seemed like the conversion to 24fps gave the impression that the ADR was really off - something that was not an issue in 48fps. Otherwise, the film looked great in 2D 24fps.

Still, I just loved the clarity that HFR presented. I never once had an issue with it seeming "too clear" and, once my schedule clears after the holidays, I'll probably seek out another viewing at 3D HFR - just to see if my brain ever gets used to the format and no longer sees actions moving too fast.
Old December 20 2012, 08:14 AM   #254
Blue_Trek
Captain

Was there a brief shot of Gimili in this movie, it seems like I saw him for like 3 seconds, or was that one of his predecessors ?
Old December 20 2012, 08:20 AM   #255
Klaus
Rear Admiral

^^In one of the flashbacks? It might have been a younger Glóin too.