Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 18 2012, 10:29 PM   #1696
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Yeah, I'm in for the whole set. I skipped Fury due to funds. I'm gonna have to try to go back and grab him after the onslaught of the rest of the team is over.
Old December 18 2012, 10:36 PM   #1697
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
I don't think I saw Trip more than a few brief times when he was out. Most of the figures I tended to see cluttering pegs and shelves in toy stores a decade ago were Travis, Captain Archer and the Malcolm-with-Bridge Tactical Station playset.

Travis got no love on the show or in plastic form. Poor guy.
I actually managed to score the Captain Archer and Reed with their respective Bridge sections. I also have Trip in his standard uniform which I think was an exclusive figure at the time.

Even as someone who was not a fan of Enterprise, I think that Art Asylum did a great job with ALL of their toys. The only other toys from Enterprise that I have are two NX-01s (one is open and sitting on my desk at work)...and the Phase Pistol/communicator Trek Tek.
I think the only ENT figures I didn't get was Silik the Suliban, the Naussican, and Phlox in a spacesuit.

Like the ill-fated Playmates' Star Trek XI line, the figures that would have completed my ENT collection was in a cancelled wave--Hoshi and Phlox in their regular outfits.
Old December 18 2012, 10:37 PM   #1698
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Yeah, never did find DCUC wave 20 Red Arrow. He's going for quite a bit more than the rest of the wave, now, of course.

The 12 Action Figures of Christmas will be seen again later tonight, but first, Hot Toys Captain America arrived:

What do you think of it? Do you have the First Avenger version. Hoe does it compare?
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 10:37 PM   #1699
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Oh yeah, I forgot about the Naussican. I do have that one, along with the Klingon whose name is escaping me. I never got Silik. I wasn't a fan of the Suliban. The Naussican and Klingon can at least pass for classic aliens.

I never got the First Avenger version of Cap, so I can't compare it to that. This is one truly awesome figure. I do have a couple nits. The outfit restricts articulation a bit, and the belt has a terrible clasp in the back. Those don't really affect how it looks, though. My picture of the unmasked sculpt make it look awful, but it looks much better in real life. I was also surprised to see that the Chitauri gun is actually a hand. It plugs into a wrist ball instead of being held. I can't wait for the whole team. That's going to be one amazing display.
Old December 18 2012, 10:48 PM   #1700
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

The Klingon? If he was from Enterprise he was probably Klaang, the one who crash lands in Oklahoma and makes first contact with humans when he gets shot by the corn farmer.

Did they make a Klaang figure? If they did I guess I've completely forgotten about it over the course of the last ten years.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 10:49 PM   #1701
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Yeah, I'm in for the whole set. I skipped Fury due to funds. I'm gonna have to try to go back and grab him after the onslaught of the rest of the team is over.
Yikes...I don't know how you do it!

I kind of want Coulson and Hawkeye. The Hulk is not really that interesting, but it is HUGE (which is why its $300). I'm preordered on Thor.

I'm trying to be mindful of the spending especially since Hot Toys is supposed to release a 66 Batmobile that will probably break the bank
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 11:05 PM   #1702
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
The Klingon? If he was from Enterprise he was probably Klaang, the one who crash lands in Oklahoma and makes first contact with humans when he gets shot by the corn farmer.

Did they make a Klaang figure? If they did I guess I've completely forgotten about it over the course of the last ten years.
They did. I know this because I have it.
Old December 18 2012, 11:09 PM   #1703
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

That's good to hear. I'm glad they actually cranked out a couple of the lesser and supporting characters before the line was cancelled. That entire series of action figures just trumped almost every other toy line in accuracy and realism, but since it was Star Trek and - as we know, Star Trek is Teh Uncool with a lot of people - the line floundered and failed. A real shame.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 11:12 PM   #1704
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Yeah, the Art Asylum Star Trek was some of the best stuff ever made. The later Diamond Select stuff wasn't bad, but didn't have the same level of incredible quality that the Enterprise and Nemesis stuff did. Too bad the best figures had to be from Enterprise and Nemesis. They didn't even finish the DS9 crew, did they?
Old December 19 2012, 01:12 AM   #1705
Gingerbread Girl
Fleet Admiral

View Gingerbread Girl's Twitter Profile

Captain America is awesome!

There are a lot of DS9 figures they never got around to making. I would have loved an Ezri Dax or Damar.
Old December 19 2012, 01:47 AM   #1706
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

^Or Quark, or Nog, or Garak, or Dukat, or Kira in a Bajoran uniform, or Weyoun, or the Founder, or so many others that I could go on at length about. I guess the trouble with DS9 (but also what makes it such a great show) is that the immense recurring cast is often times just as important and interesting as the main cast. That makes it hard for a company like Diamond Select, not known for churning out lots of product in a line, to satisfy the fans.

Oh, and here's day eight:

I imagine Palpatine saying to John "Good, good. Let the hate flow through you."
Old December 19 2012, 02:33 AM   #1707
Gingerbread Girl
Fleet Admiral

Playmates did most of those. They cancelled their line just as DS9 was ending. I never got any Art Asylum figures.
Old December 19 2012, 02:59 AM   #1708
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Yeah, but the Playmates figures aren't compatible in scale, style, or quality to the Art Asylum/Diamond Select ones.
Old December 19 2012, 03:17 AM   #1709
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

^^^
Which is ironic given that Art Asylum did a few figures for Playmates towards the end of their license.
Old December 19 2012, 04:30 AM   #1710
Gingerbread Girl
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, but the Playmates figures aren't compatible in scale, style, or quality to the Art Asylum/Diamond Select ones.
True dat. But it was nice to have something affordable.