To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old December 18 2012, 09:32 PM   #16
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Location: Citizen of the Kingdom of God (Living in Bargersville, IN)
Re: Star Trek Fan Reboots

I have two concepts in mind:

1) I would personally love to reboot Star Trek, set it further in the future, and change the entire origins story of the universe, using those changes to create an intricate history that would constrain the show within some degree of self-generated reality. I would incorporate other sci-fi elements too - for example, acceleration/deceleration stations (from Forbidden Planet), a warp drive limit around systems (from the Honor Harrington series), skinsuits for battle (also from HH), etc.

2) I would like to go back to the original Star Trek bible, and tell the story of the S.S. Yorktown under Captain Winter (or April, depending on the draft) in black and white with a late 50's/early 60's sci-fi feel (think The Outer Limits).

I have a lot of ideas, but zero money or equipment to make either concept a reality. Interested producers are invited to contact me

Rob+
Old December 18 2012, 10:07 PM   #17
Danlav05
Commander

FatherRob wrote: View Post

1) I would personally love to reboot Star Trek, set it further in the future, and change the entire origins story of the universe, using those changes to create an intricate history that would constrain the show within some degree of self-generated reality. I would incorporate other sci-fi elements too - for example, acceleration/deceleration stations (from Forbidden Planet), a warp drive limit around systems (from the Honor Harrington series), skinsuits for battle (also from HH), etc.

2) I would like to go back to the original Star Trek bible, and tell the story of the S.S. Yorktown under Captain Winter (or April, depending on the draft) in black and white with a late 50's/early 60's sci-fi feel (think The Outer Limits).

I have a lot of ideas, but zero money or equipment to make either concept a reality. Interested producers are invited to contact me

Rob+
HAHA if I had the money...
Both ideas soudn very very intersting. (1) sounds like a very different type of scifi, and (2) is very similar to what people have posted here before - a pre-TOS style movie - the only one I can think of is Forbidden Planet.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 10:46 PM   #18
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
HAHA if I had the money...
Both ideas soudn very very intersting. (1) sounds like a very different type of scifi, and (2) is very similar to what people have posted here before - a pre-TOS style movie - the only one I can think of is Forbidden Planet.
I attempted to write some fan fic in setting 1 a few years back, but gave up. Got zero feedback and gave it up.

The second setting was actually inspired by the ship shown in this thread at another website:

http://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=273

Together with the control room from "First Spaceship on Venus"

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...ship-on-venus/

If you read the thread at All Scale Trek, you'll see towards the end some of my thoughts on the visual effects.

Rob+
Old December 18 2012, 10:57 PM   #19
Avon
Fleet Captain

the thing is if you want to do reboot trek in such a way to change the backstory, change the universe, etc, you may as well make your own series in its own universe and have complete control, no rights issues to deal with. in the end you're only clinging onto the name 'star trek' and accompanying its treknobabble.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 12:33 AM   #20
FatherRob
Rear Admiral

Merry Farrell wrote: View Post
the thing is if you want to do reboot trek in such a way to change the backstory, change the universe, etc, you may as well make your own series in its own universe and have complete control, no rights issues to deal with. in the end you're only clinging onto the name 'star trek' and accompanying its treknobabble.
It worked well for BSG.

Rob+
Old December 19 2012, 06:47 AM   #21
Captain Atkin
Commander

It worked well for BSG.

Rob+
True, but BSG never had the same type of massive following as Star Trek did. The majority of fans hate the idea of a complete Trek reboot, which is why the nu-Trek takes place in an 'alternate universe'. BSG left the possibility of the 70s/80s series having taken place in the same universe, but in a different era (the 1980s 'future'), with the concept of "all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again."
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 06:49 PM   #22
Avon
Fleet Captain

the difference is star trek was good the first time round.

haha i jest, ;P

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Avon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2013, 03:23 PM   #23
Garrowolf
Ensign

I am working on an Alternate Universe idea based on a different tech level progression. I wrote a fan fiction set as an alternate version of the events of Star Trek Enterprise Broken Bow. It has a different set of technologies and some differences in the crew and crew positions.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8759362/...ise-Broken-Bow

Tell me what you think about it.
Garrowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2013, 09:55 PM   #24
Pauln6
Commodore

I did a kind of soft reboot comic strip because I wanted to tell some stories from the second 5 year mission and I wanted to include Decker and Ilia. I fudged the plot so that V'Ger returned them.

I call it a soft reboot because I have tried to avoid contradicting canon too much but I wanted to try and keep a lid on some of the magical technology that started to take over the plot - I prefer keeping transporters limited to short ranges and only possible from pad to pad or when using a communicator or bio-belt as a localised quantum scanning link.

I also wanted to rip off as many other sci fi shows as possible, starting with Babylon 5 and a few others still to come.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote