Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 6 2012, 09:56 PM   #16
M
Vice Admiral

Re: Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I got my S2 disks yesterday and I watched the trailer for season three last night. It seemed to me that some of the footage in the trailer may have been upscaled material because in some shots Picard looks really crisp and then in other shots from the same scene he looks very soft and out of focus. Did anyone else see that or am I just imagining things?
Yeah, I noticed that, too. It's during the scene in "Best of Both Worlds" where the Borg beam aboard the bridge to abduct Picard. In one shot everything looks perfect. They cut to the Borg and back to almost the exact same shot as before, only with poor quality. I guess it's because the last cut contains an effects shot (Worf firing a phaser), whereas the former is only a normal shot of Picard and Riker.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 10:32 PM   #17
Borjis
Commodore

I noticed a lot of the live action shots are nearly blown out, I really hope those are before color correction, I was temporarily blinded.

I know season 3 is where things got bright but those luma levels were way too high for comfortable viewing.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 10:36 PM   #18
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Yes, I had gotten used to the look of Season 1 remastered and to see those really bright shots from Season 3 was a bit of a shock. I never realized how much better the lighting was in the earlier seasons until now.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6 2012, 11:39 PM   #19
Salinga
Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
Yes, I had gotten used to the look of Season 1 remastered and to see those really bright shots from Season 3 was a bit of a shock. I never realized how much better the lighting was in the earlier seasons until now.
It wouldnt surprise me if the change was also money related: keeping the lighting mostly on the same level speeds setting up shots and thus is less cost intensive.
Salinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7 2012, 12:40 AM   #20
Borjis
Commodore

It also helps shot consistency with the film grain.

My GODS the grain was all over the place in "the child" it's like they didn't do any tests of the new film stock prior to shooting, later episodes look a lot more consistent.
Old December 7 2012, 01:25 AM   #21
davejames
Vice Admiral

Borjis wrote: View Post
I noticed a lot of the live action shots are nearly blown out, I really hope those are before color correction, I was temporarily blinded.

I know season 3 is where things got bright but those luma levels were way too high for comfortable viewing.
Yeah I know. They got it so bright the black of the uniforms doesn't even appear black anymore. Which is not only unflattering, but makes them look a lot less cool.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10 2012, 09:29 AM   #22
Mitty
Vice Admiral

Hanging out. S3 was when I really got into TNG. I remember when I bought a Stereo VCR the first episode I watched was "Tin Man". I can't WAIT to see it in Full HD. I wasn't that fussed about seasons 1 and 2 but S3... bring it.
Old December 14 2012, 08:18 AM   #23
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Syfy (I have to admit, I've been watching a bit more Syfy channel this week with the 20th anniversary special and today, and I still hate that name) has been running a marathon of TNG Season 3 and I have to say, I can't wait till this set comes out. I'm enjoying Season 2 (Even though the quality is not as good as Season 1) but season 3 is really when everything started clicking and to just get episodes like Yesterday's Enterprise Remastered will be awesome. Heck, even some of the lesser episodes like another one I watched today, A Matter of Perspective, will also look great remastered, especially when we know CBS-Digital is doing it. I will definitely be going to the movie theater to see Yesterday's Enterprise and Best of Both Worlds (Honestly, how can it not be these two episodes featured) on the big screen.
Old December 14 2012, 10:51 AM   #24
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

It's about a decade now since I've watched TNG all the way through. I picked up the DVDs years ago but never got around to it. Last year I was about to start and then word got out about the BDs so I decided to wait and watch as the BDs were released. Got to say, I'm glad I did it that way. Even with the audio flaws, I loved rewatching the first season again. I'm thoroughly enjoying season two at the moment, even the duff episodes, and I'm positively salivating at the prospect of HD season three! Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds, The Defector.....bring it on!
Old December 14 2012, 01:49 PM   #25
sadsquid
Lieutenant

Yeah, can't wait for Season 3, probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite season. It's when TNG really hit its stride. There were very few bad episodes, unlike the first two seasons which had their fair share of clunkers. It got off to a solid, if not quite spectacular, start and then from around the middle of the season, just started hitting it out of the park! Cannot wait to see it in HD with more great special features!
sadsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14 2012, 09:51 PM   #26
Borjis
Commodore

I never owned S1 or S2 on DVD initially. I watched them when they first aired but had no interest in buying the sets. I'm happy to have them in HD now though.
Old December 17 2012, 01:53 PM   #27
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Looking forward to season three in a big way TNG hit it's stride in season 3! One of the best series cliff hangers of all time Bring it on!

Any idea on a release date?
Old December 18 2012, 09:37 AM   #28
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Patrick O'Brien wrote: View Post
Looking forward to season three in a big way TNG hit it's stride in season 3! One of the best series cliff hangers of all time Bring it on!

They're shooting for April, with Enterprise S1 a month or so before
Old December 18 2012, 08:10 PM   #29
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

FrontierTrek wrote: View Post

Hadn't heard that Enterprise was coming so soon. Just had a quick look and found the Digital Bits news piece about it - OT, but the footnote at the bottom of that page makes reference to a rumoured X-Files BD release in 2013 as well! Hallelujah 2013 is shaping up to be a great year for HD releases!

thedigitalbits
Old December 18 2012, 10:03 PM   #30
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
FrontierTrek wrote: View Post

Hadn't heard that Enterprise was coming so soon. Just had a quick look and found the Digital Bits news piece about it - OT, but the footnote at the bottom of that page makes reference to a rumoured X-Files BD release in 2013 as well! Hallelujah 2013 is shaping up to be a great year for HD releases!

thedigitalbits
Yup! X-Files may indeed by gracing Blu-Ray soon

Enterprise S1 should be mid-late March. And the bonus features are looking great... TNG S3 too!