Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old December 18 2012, 02:26 PM   #1741
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Jefferies wrote: View Post
Scotty wrote: View Post
I think there could be a number of explanations for this. One, CBS had the advantage of figuring out and perfecting the remastering process when they prepared the sampler disc. When they started work on season 1 they had the experience of working on those three episodes behind them, which HTV obviously didn't. The people at HTV had to perfect the process as they were working on the season, hence the mixed results in the earlier half and the improvement near the end.
This argument does not really hold up. EaF was the first episode CBS-D completed and it looks absolutely fabulous! HTV didn't get anywhere near that level of quality.
That's true of course. But because EaF was the first episode that CBS-D did and at that time it was a trial, they had a lot more time to complete and perfect the look of it. That look was carried over to the subsequent episodes in season 1. From what I've read and understand about the project, HTV was not involved in that development process. They were brought in when CBS-D couldn't complete all the work in time. And since they were working almost independently from CBS-D (with only the Okudas advising both teams) they didn't benefit from CBS's experiences.
Old December 18 2012, 02:33 PM   #1742
Scotty
Rear Admiral

In all honesty, HTV's work is more faithful to the original effect. CBS-D looks better (and obviously I prefer it), but you can understand why HTV's effect looks the way it does.

I don't understand why CBS didn't assemble a group of people that supervized both remastering teams. There seemed to be no cooperation between CBS-D and HTV whatsoever.
Old December 18 2012, 02:47 PM   #1743
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

In all honesty, HTV's work is more faithful to the original effect. CBS-D looks better (and obviously I prefer it), but you can understand why HTV's effect looks the way it does.
This is how I feel.
Old December 18 2012, 03:55 PM   #1744
NewHorizon
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
This is how I feel.
Faithful to a fault. Faithful to the point of some shots looking like they were upscaled....or using very low res graphic elements.

CBS restored the show in a way that looks how I ahem "remember" it in my mind, but HTV went in the complete opposite direction and made sure we were aware of just how the show really looked.

I prefer CBS-D's approach.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 04:06 PM   #1745
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The original look looked that way because of limits of the time, they didn't intend for the Enterprise to look like an over-lit model suspended in a studio. They wanted it to look like a real spaceship in space. So HTV being "faithful to the original" is, well, sort of undermining the "realism" we're expecting to see. CBS-Digital was able to make the shots look how they were always intended to look -real.
Old December 18 2012, 06:31 PM   #1746
Mott the barber
Commodore

Finally got around to watching the complete cast roundtable. It really is a fanboys dream and I enjoyed it immensely. There's lots of good combinations of funny and heartfelt moments, and it actually looked like Patrick was gonna tear up at one point when Marina talked about not wanted to screw up her lines in front of him.
The section on Corey Allen (director of the pilot) was really interesting and they conveyed how important he was to setting the tone that this is the real deal, not just some kiddie show set in space.
The part about him telling Patrick to "f*&k the universe!" cracked me up.
Old December 18 2012, 06:37 PM   #1747
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I loved Patrick's reaction(s) to some of Dorn's comments/corrections. They all had very good, fun, chemistry. I think that's mostly why the show worked so well it's a chemistry I really don't think any of the other casts had.
Old December 18 2012, 06:39 PM   #1748
Mott the barber
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I loved Patrick's reaction(s) to some of Dorn's comments/corrections. They all had very good, fun, chemistry. I think that's mostly why the show worked so well it's a chemistry I really don't think any of the other casts had.
It's true, and Marina even alluded to it in discussing her lunch with Majel, Kate, etc.

They had a very special chemistry that, agreeing with Levar, was really lucky to have worked out so well.
Old December 18 2012, 08:27 PM   #1749
Timo47
Commander

Nope, you're fooled by the flat grey color given to the Enterprise. If it were an actual faithful effect it wouldn't be missing the shadows on the outer rim of the saucer.
Timo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 09:17 PM   #1750
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Timo47 wrote: View Post
Nope, you're fooled by the flat grey color given to the Enterprise. If it were an actual faithful effect it wouldn't be missing the shadows on the outer rim of the saucer.
I am in no way fooled and you are wrong. The remastered effect also has a shadowy outer rim on the saucer, though it is less dark. My point is that if you compare the colour of the Enterprise in the original scene, than HTV actually comes much closer than CBS-D's version. CBS-D's version looks better, but it is dramatically altered from the original effect and more closely resembles the effectswork done in Generations.
Old December 18 2012, 10:42 PM   #1751
davejames
Vice Admiral

If that's truly as bad as it got, I'd be perfectly happy with the effects. Unfortunately there are many shots that are far worse, where the ship either looks like a cutout, or has this blue cast to it, or is bright as hell.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 11:55 PM   #1752
Salinga
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
If that's truly as bad as it got, I'd be perfectly happy with the effects. Unfortunately there are many shots that are far worse, where the ship either looks like a cutout, or has this blue cast to it, or is bright as hell.
When its small and brightly lit, it looks more like a Blob in Space, than a ship.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 12:08 AM   #1753
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Sorry if this was brought up in the previous 116 pages.

Did anyone notice (in Q Who?) the picture looking very grainy right around the time Worf shoots the Borg in Engineering?

It's the only scene (so far) that is so noticeable.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 12:42 AM   #1754
davejames
Vice Admiral

Haven't gotten to that ep yet, but I remember it's a pretty darkly lit shot, and those have usually tended to be more grainy.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2012, 12:44 AM   #1755
jimbotron
Fleet Captain

Ar-Festivus wrote: View Post
Sorry if this was brought up in the previous 116 pages.

Did anyone notice (in Q Who?) the picture looking very grainy right around the time Worf shoots the Borg in Engineering?

It's the only scene (so far) that is so noticeable.
I noticed it too. Very grainy. Perhaps a different film stock used for the moving shot?

Take a look at the shot just after the second Borg uses his shield. It's this shot http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...16/qwho146.jpg (sorry, I don't have the HD screencap) There's something wrong with it. It's blurry and there are noticeable compression artifacts.
jimbotron is offline   Reply With Quote