CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old December 13 2012, 10:19 PM   #1261
nvek86
Commander

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

141. Wreck-It Ralph
A great premise, very well executed. I liked the voice cast and the imagination that went into the creation of the video game worlds.

142. Bringing Up Baby
Well, Hepburn's character was a bit too crazy, but otherwise it's a very funny film.
Old December 14 2012, 06:39 PM   #1262
Shamrock Bones
Agent Richard07

331. Reindeer Games (✩✩✩½) - Blu-ray - I don't review movies I've already seen, but I recently purchased the director's cut on blu-ray and that sort of qualifies it as a "new" movie. It was about 20 minutes longer, but it was hard to spot what was added. Still, I enjoyed it as a fun Christmas movie and hope to keep enjoying it around the holidays for years to come.

332. Ben-Hur (✩✩✩✩½) - DVD - Finally saw this classic and loved it's story and epic feel. I liked the idea of having the life of Jesus as a side story to the main plot. It was a nice touch. I read that the author of the original novel did this because he didn't think that people at the time would accept a novel that was focussed directly on Jesus.

333. Now & Forever (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - This is an independent Canadian film that stars Mia Kirshner and Adam Beach. Kirshner plays a small-town girl with an abusive boyfriend who wants to escape and move away, and Beach plays the guy who likes her even if she doesn't feel the same way. That's all you need to know. I got it because I like Mia, but ended up enjoying the ride. It's more than just a small love story. It's a thriller with a surprise waiting at the end. This could have done well with more exposure. I thought it was one of Beach's and Kirshner's better projects.

334. The Captains (✩✩✩✩½) - DVD - A documentary film by William Shatner where he spends time with the other five captains in Trek. It started off rather slow, but got pretty engaging. Shatner is a great interviewer, one of the best, if not the best I've ever seen. For someone with a big ego, he's quite good at being more of a friend who comes over to talk than a self centered journalist who's after the Pulitzer prize like so many others are. As a result, he can get to the heart of the matter and get people to talk about things they ordinarily wouldn't with your usual journalist. I wouldn't mind tracking down a few episodes of Raw Nerve to see more of Shatner's style. Oh, and they say that Avery Brooks was a little "out there", but I didn't find him all that odd.

335. Scream 4 (✩✩½) - DVD - Stylized as "SCRE4M". This one was on my zip list and arrived in the mail, so I decided to watch it before I sent it back. It starts off trying to be clever but it's pretty cringe-worthy, then it becomes somewhat watchable and in the end, it's pretty forgettable. The highlight is that it added Emma Roberts to the cast. She's pretty and I've taken an interest in her career.

336. Bad Santa (✩✩✩✩) - Blu-ray - Another Christmas movie that I've already seen but recently purchased on blu-ray. The disc I got had two versions of the film… The director's cut, whhich is shorter and supposedly made darker with it's edits, and an extended version known as "Badder Santa". I saw the latter. I couldn't see exactly what was added in those 8 to 10 extra munutes, but as with Reindeer Games, this is a great Christmas movie that's lewd and a lot of fun to watch. I hear that they're making a sequel that's supposed to come out next year.

337. Holiday in Handcuffs (✩✩½) - Live TV - A 20-something woman who's life is going nowhere kidnaps a guy who's already engaged and through a series of events, gets him to pose as the boyfriend she's been telling her parents about when she visits them. Stars Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez. There were a few instances where Lopez' character had a chance to escape and didn't. Other than that, it wasn't as contrived as it could have been. In the end, it was ABC Family fun and not much else.

338. It's Kind of a Funny Story (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - A teenage boy checks himself into a mental hospital. The supporting cast includes Emma Roberts, Zach Galifianakis and Lauren Graham. It wasn't great, but it was a good enough piece that had it's moments and insights on mental health and perfectionism. I also enjoyed seeing more of Emma Roberts.

339. Holiday Spin (✩✩½) - Live TV - A boy's mother is killed and he movies in with his estranged dad. They're a family of dancers and the movie revolves around trying to win a dance competition at Christmas so that the dad's studio can be saved. The dance part is similar to what happened in Silver Linings Playbook. It's your usual TV movie fare, but it had Ralph Macchio as the dad and I must say, he looks fantastic for a 50 year old man. Looks like the big kid he's always looked like. Oh, and this took place in Miami but it was hot in Calgary.

340. Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles (✩✩½) - DVD - I recently got into Robotech and capped it off with this 2006 movie that follows the series. More on that here.

341. Under the Mistletoe (✩✩½) - Live TV - Boy's father dies and he appears to his son as a ghost so that he can help her find a new man. Jaime Ray Newman plays the mother and Michael Shanks plays the prospective guy. Guess how this one ends. It's TV schlock, but hey, it had Shanks and Jaime Ray Newman. It occurred to me that she would have made a pretty good Barbara Gordon.

342. A Christmas Kiss (✩✩½) - Live TV - A young woman kisses a stranger in an elevator, then meets him some time later and finds out he's engaged to her mean boss. This is the third movie I've seen this month where one of the characters leave their present relationship to pursue true love. I saw this one because I'm up for pretty much any Cristmas movie and Laura Breckenridge is cute.

343. I Do (But I Don't) (✩½) - DVD - Wedding planner meets fireman. Stars Denise Richards and Dean Cain. It's got some clever developments, but otherwise, it's pretty bad.

Theatre: 22
DVD/Blu-ray: 134
Live TV: 133
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 45
Internet: 4
Shamrock Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 04:37 AM   #1263
CaptainCanada
Admiral

140. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (A-)

Based on a highly popular 1999 novel, which I'd never heard of despite being in junior high at the time (I guess I missed it). One could never dispute that this film represents the distinct authorial vision of Stephen Chbosky, who wrote the novel, and then wrote the screenplay adaptation, and makes his directorial debut. This is generally held to have been a botched job by the distributor, but the movie has acquired a fervent critical following (even winning a number of awards so far this season) -- perhaps it will be remembered as one of the Great Teen Movies.

This is more teen drama than comedy; really, it's been a while since there was a really notable entry in that cinema genre (let alone one that features child molestation). The central trio are Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, and Emma Watson (affecting an American accent, reasonably capably, and effectively separating herself from Hermione), all of them terrific. Also present are Mae Whitman, and a bevy of adult actors who are largely underused (Dylan McDermott, Kate Walsh, Paul Rudd; Joan Cusack has a cameo). I had a remarkably ordinary high school experience, so the tropes of most high school movies rarely reflect my own experience, but there are some very familiar bits here (like sitting on the sidelines at a school dance, though I wasn't pining after Emma Watson while doing so; blessing or curse?).

Cinema: 48 (+1)
Home Video: 79
Computer: 13

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15 2012, 09:39 AM   #1264
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

Television Broadcast

20. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
21. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
USS Fardell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16 2012, 10:48 PM   #1265
nvek86
Commander

143. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I liked this film a lot, it truly felt like a return to Middle-Earth. I did see it in 3D (which was good), but not in HFR (although I might still do that). The only thing that bothered me a bit is that it felt more like only part of a film, than the Lord of the Rings films.
Old December 16 2012, 11:05 PM   #1266
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

35) Silver Linings Playbook (2012) - B+
36) Lincoln (2012) - B

Really enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook, especially the performances of Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. I do think they could have done better on the Mental illness aspect of the story (And why do we have another movie dealing with the Philidelphia Eagles), but it was a very enjoyable 2 hours.

Lincoln had great performances from Daniel-Day Luis and Tommy Lee Jones, but it was a decent movie. Honestly, I was dosing off a few times during it, mainly because it was just so very talky. I do expect Day-Luis to win the award for best actor because he really did become Abraham Lincoln. Also could have done with the movie being a little shorter.

Theater: 17 (+2)
BluRay: 9
On Demand/TV: 4
Itunes: 6
Old December 17 2012, 12:16 AM   #1267
Saul
Rear Admiral

192. SKYFALL
193. killer joe
194. Ask the Dust
195. Total Recall (2012)
196. The Campaign
197. American Reunion
198. Invisible Agent
Old December 17 2012, 04:25 AM   #1268
CaptainCanada
Admiral

141. Holy Motors (?)

WTF?

Cinema: 49 (+1)

- Homer Simpson
Old December 17 2012, 06:24 PM   #1269
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

94. Your Highness: F
95. Goldeneye: A
96. Whistleblower: B+
97. The Town: A+
98. Ted: A

The Mark Whalberg and Mila Kunis film about the talking teddy bear from creator Seth McFarland.
Quite funny and me and my friends were laughing throughout.
The very last bit with "where are they now" with Sam Wilson rooming with Brandon Routh was the icing on the cake. Made even more relevant by the fact the new Man of Steel had recently dropped.
I just heard the sequel is moving forward. Curious if the novelty of this will carry over into more films or if it's a one trick pony.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 10:21 PM   #1270
Harvey
Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
141. Holy Motors (?)

WTF?
Quite curious what you think about this when you have a chance to digest it. Most of the reviews have been positive, but many of these simultaneously describe the movie as a "mess."

194. The Eiger Sanction (B-)
195. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (B)

The Eiger Sanction: What an odd movie. In the first half, Clint Eastwood is frankly uncomfortable in front of the camera, still learning how to direct himself. We're told he's an excellent assassin -- the only one, in fact, who can kill a couple of other assassins. On screen, however, there's nothing to suggest he's particularly skilled at "sanctioning" (murdering) people. Also, he's supposed to be an art history Ph.D., which is...only slightly more believable than Charles Bronson as an architect.

In the second half of the film, Eastwood's character is tasked with climbing the Eiger North Face to execute another "sanction." This part of the film is quite thrilling, in large part because Eastwood and most of the other actors don't use climbing doubles at all.

(I've left out the homosexual villain who has a dog he calls "faggot." It's a bewildering, and mildly offensive, choice.)

Indiana Jones 4: The internet was born to hate this movie, and that's too bad, since it's pretty enjoyable (certainly more so than Temple of Doom). It's not perfect -- John Williams' score is unmemorable, some of the humor goes on too far, the script is a bit talky and expository when it doesn't need to be, certain scenes are awfully CGI-heavy -- but I enjoyed it far, far more than I had been expecting to. Ford is terrific, and hardly looks 55, let alone 65. If they can get another one of these going within 5 years, I think he'll be fit enough to do it. If they don't, I think this is a fine end to the series.

Theatres: 60
Home Video: 120+2

Tonight, my parents are taking my brother and I to The Hobbit in IMAX. Don't think we're getting the nine-minute preview, sadly.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 10:54 PM   #1271
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Indiana Jones KOTCS and Terminator Salvation

Years removed from their release and after the haters have moved on finds those discovering them for the first time are actually fairly decent.
I think that's the second time this year this thread has had a first time IJ:KOCS review with similar thoughts.

Last edited by Captain Craig; December 18 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 10:59 PM   #1272
nvek86
Commander

144. Safety Last
Lots of funny scenes and moments, but I didn't find the main character that likeable and thought that part of the plot wasn't really resolved.

145. Them!
I liked that it focused more on the effect the giant ants had on people/response of the government than simple destruction, but at the same time they never truly seemed like a big threat.
Old December 18 2012, 02:44 AM   #1273
CaptainCanada
Admiral

142. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (B+)

There's a discussion thread for this, but in brief, it's more of the same. Good stuff, but it lacks (though not for lack of trying) the spark of the unfamiliar, and the story doesn't inflate to epic scale the same way the original movies did.

Cinema: 50 (+1)
Harvey wrote: View Post
Quite curious what you think about this when you have a chance to digest it. Most of the reviews have been positive, but many of these simultaneously describe the movie as a "mess."
There are some indications that the whole thing is meant to be some kind of metaphor for contemporary cinema/acting, or something, but on the whole it's pretty clearly intentionally not making sense or explaining anything that's going on. One could argue it deserves an A for originality, and an F for being self-indulgent nonsense. It's a textbook example of a fill with little middle ground.

I still really don't know what I think about it, but I'd lean more toward the negative crowd; at a certain point, the knowledge that the weirdness isn't going to amount to anything (at least, as far as I can see) takes any enjoyment out of it.

- Homer Simpson
Old December 18 2012, 05:55 AM   #1274
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

Holy Motors is one of my favorite movies this year, you just have to be really into meta.

N: Rocco and His Brothers B+

I've never seen a left-winger accidentally make such a compelling right-wing argument.

N + 1: The Hobbit C-

Worst Script Ever. Time spent on humor that isn't slapstick: 0 seconds. Time spent falling off things and almost falling off things: The entire movie.

N + 2: Alice (1988) A-

Surrealistic interpretation of Alice In Wonderland.

N + 3: Looper A

Best mainstream film in years
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2012, 06:08 AM   #1275
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (8)
The Amazing Spider-man (7)
Argo (8)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Big Wars (8)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
The Bourne Legacy (9)
Cloud Atlas (9)
The Dark Knight Rises (10)
Daybreakers (5)
Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)
Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog (7)
The Expendables 2 (8)
Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Flight (9)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Galaxy Express 999: Eternal Fantasy (7)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Garasu no Usagi (Glass Rabbit) (7)
Gattaca (8)
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengence (6)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
.hack//The Movie: Beyond The World (7)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (8)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths (8)
Justice League: Doom (7)
Justice League: New Frontier (6)
Justice League: Starcrossed (8)
Killing Them Softly (5)
King of Thorn (9)
K-ON!: The Movie (8)
L.A. Confidential (9)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes: My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
A Letter to Momo (8)
Lockout (8)
Looper (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion (Director's Cut) (9)
Men In Black III (8)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
The Prestige (10)
Prometheus (5)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Resident Evil (4)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Scott Pilgrim VS The World (8)
Skyfall (9)
Space Battleship Yamato (2010) (8)
Starship Troopers: Invasion (6)
Superman: Doomsday (8)
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse (8)
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies (9)
Taken 2 (8)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Total Recall (2012) (8)
Towanoquon Movie 1 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 2 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 3 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 4 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 5 (9)
Towanoquon Movie 6 (9)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Tropic Thunder (7)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)