Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you grade The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?
A+ 32 16.58%
A 52 26.94%
A- 38 19.69%
B+ 28 14.51%
B 15 7.77%
B- 9 4.66%
C+ 1 0.52%
C 8 4.15%
C- 2 1.04%
D+ 3 1.55%
D 1 0.52%
D- 3 1.55%
F 1 0.52%
Voters: 193. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 17 2012, 05:03 PM   #181
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
...watching some internet twit posting his rant about a movie.
Internet video movie reviews are worth just about the paper they're printed on.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 05:13 PM   #182
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Or, for that matter, when Thorin was picked up in the warg's mouth, yet survived (with a little help from Gandalf.) Hello, puncture wounds? Even if Gandalf revived him (which seems to be the implication), unless he also healed the wounds, Thorin can look forward to dying of sepsis in short order. There's fantasy violence and then there's complete nonsense.
Do dwarfs catch sepsis? Did Gandalf use an anti sepsis spell? Does warg saliva have an antiseptic effect?

It just seems to me that there should be consequences of some kind to Thorin's injuries. He did get his ass kicked pretty handily.

"Plot armor" is fine as long as it doesn't make itself too obvious, which it sure did here.
Old December 17 2012, 05:19 PM   #183
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Old December 17 2012, 05:52 PM   #184
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Thank you.

I've long been of the mind that people who do YouTube videos of themselves ranting at a cheap camera about one silly thing or another are just too lazy to actually write down their thoughts. It's impossible to take seriously.

Some people do make good use of the medium, providing visual aids and maybe some music to flesh out the production, but those are the exception. All too often, it's just someone using volume as a substitute for argument. If you put the same words on paper (or a screen), it tends not to be nearly as convincing.
Old December 17 2012, 06:36 PM   #185
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I've long been of the mind that people who do YouTube videos of themselves ranting at a cheap camera about one silly thing or another are just too lazy to actually write down their thoughts. It's impossible to take seriously.
It's not laziness. They all wanna be Internet celebrities, and getting your face on YouTube is a perfect way to achieve that.

And make no mistake, some of these people have risen to celeb status (like RelLetterMedia, Jeremy Jahns, Confused Matthew etc.).

It's the PEOPLE who are lazy, because most of them would rather watch some random guy on youtube rant, than actually take a minute to read anything longer than 150 words.
Old December 17 2012, 06:43 PM   #186
Kegg
Rear Admiral

marillion - The film is under three hours, not over it.

Prancer the Sith wrote: View Post
And make no mistake, some of these people have risen to celeb status (like RelLetterMedia, Jeremy Jahns, Confused Matthew etc.).
They've risen to 'internet celebrity' status, and of the three you mentioned only RLM probably has actual celebrity (in the sense of being signalled out by Ebert and so on). There's nothing wrong with the idea of internet reviews, but it's true there's a reliance on hyperbole (worst/best movies, scenes, etc.) and frankly often facile reasoning (Confused Matthew's reviews often go into petty nitpicking or bizarrely specific complaints).
Old December 17 2012, 06:52 PM   #187
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Please read the entire post. He was saying that when you add trailers, standing in line, getting popcorn, not to mention getting to the theater, it's a good deal over 3 hours to see this film!
Old December 17 2012, 06:57 PM   #188
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Please read the entire post.
Why would I want to do that?

And it took me under three hours to see the movie and that was on Thursday. I think the queues to get in and to get food will depend on your venue.
Old December 17 2012, 07:25 PM   #189
Skywalker
Admiral

Prancer the Sith wrote: View Post
Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
An Unexpected Journey sets a new December record with an $84.7 million opening weekend. Overseas it earned an additional $138.2 million over the weekend.
Strong numbers, but nothing sensational. Now lets see if this movie has legs. My prediction: $400M domestic total, and $1.2B worldwide.
Agreed. I believe the BOM article I linked to mentioned that its overseas numbers were good, but down from ROTK's, and probably slightly less overall than Warner Bros. might have been hoping for. I don't know if it's because it's December or if the hype just wasn't there. Still, it's gonna do fine when it's all said and done.

I agree with everyone else that sometimes the action got a little too cartoony. The Hobbit is a lighter affair than The Lord of the Rings, so it kind of makes sense, but at times it really did go a little too far. Bilbo falling through that crack and who knows how far without sustaining any major injuries was probably the biggest example, as others have pointed out.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 08:16 PM   #190
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Bilbo falling through that crack and who knows how far without sustaining any major injuries was probably the biggest example, as others have pointed out.
What about them taking the in air sled ride on a wooden walkway, down the side of the mountain landing vertically upright and no one even scratched?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 08:34 PM   #191
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I usually hate anything cartoony but oddly enough the cartoon violence didn't irk me at all. I thought it matched the tone of the film.

Then again, I found Radagast to be interesting and I'm in the minority on that one...
Old December 17 2012, 08:38 PM   #192
Mr Light
Admiral

Thorin was wearing armor so I didn't interpret that he was bitten so much as crushed by the jaws. I certainly didn't see leaking blood or anything.

Of course, when Gandalf slices open the Goblin King's throat there wasn't any blood then, either...

As for Bilbo's fall, he fell on top of the nice soft Orc

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 08:45 PM   #193
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I usually hate anything cartoony but oddly enough the cartoon violence didn't irk me at all. I thought it matched the tone of the film.

Then again, I found Radagast to be interesting and I'm in the minority on that one...
I quite enjoyed Radagast, too. I would've liked to see more of him, although the sledding was completely ridiculous.
Old December 17 2012, 08:49 PM   #194
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

I agree with everyone else that sometimes the action got a little too cartoony. The Hobbit is a lighter affair than The Lord of the Rings, so it kind of makes sense, but at times it really did go a little too far. Bilbo falling through that crack and who knows how far without sustaining any major injuries was probably the biggest example, as others have pointed out.
I'm curious; do you find LOTR and Hobbit fantasy to be more enjoyable than Harry Potter and wizard fantasy?

Maybe it's a personal preference but I got bored in several scences in The Hobbit whereas in Potter I never did. Also I have a much easier time suspending my disblief with Potter than LOTR.

Also, aren't Dobby in Potter and Gollum in Hobbit and LOTR virtually identical characters??
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 09:13 PM   #195
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Also, aren't Dobby in Potter and Gollum in Hobbit and LOTR virtually identical characters??
Um... no. Apart from being CGI characters and speaking oddly, they aren't alike at all.