Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old December 17 2012, 01:44 AM   #136
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

teacake wrote: View Post
Interesting how all those guns don't leak up into Canada.. and by that I mean that presumably Canadians could get them if they wanted them. But maybe their are other issues which make them less prone to shoot each other?
Canada has much stricter gun control laws.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 02:05 AM   #137
Brolan
Commodore

I'm watching the memorial service. It's an amazing coming together of all faiths.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 02:27 AM   #138
Locutus of Bored
A Certain Point of View

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
That quote purporting to be from Morgan Freeman is not, in fact, from Morgan Freeman. It's fake. Linky
Not cool. You don't piggyback off of the Supreme Narrator's golden voice to give yourself greater authority and notoriety. It just isn't done.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 03:05 AM   #139
gturner
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
Gun Deaths - 2011: Japan 48, Great Britain 8, Switzerland 34, Canada 52, Israel 58, Sweden 21, Germany 42, UNITED STATES 10,728
Which is culturally interesting. The Swiss own almost 4 million guns (a bit more than half the US per capita guns), which is about 120,000 guns per annual gun death. Canadians own about 10 million guns, which is about 200,000 guns per annual gun death (roughly the same gun ownership rate as Sweden, France, Germany, etc, about 35% of the US guns per capita). The US has 260 or so million guns, or just 25,000 per annual gun death. Why is the US five to eight times as efficient at killing people with guns? Is it that we have better targets, escalate disputes better, or have more drug wars?
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 03:07 AM   #140
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Deaths per gun is a totally useless, made up statistic.
Old December 17 2012, 05:45 AM   #141
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

gturner wrote: View Post
The US has 260 or so million guns, or just 25,000 per annual gun death. Why is the US five to eight times as efficient at killing people with guns? Is it that we have better targets, escalate disputes better, or have more drug wars?
It's the total number of lives - the actual human beings - that's important, not the completely meaningless and artificial metric you just came up with.

We still had almost 11,000 deaths from gun murders during that particular year, more than all the American servicemen and women who have died in both Afghanistan and Iraq combined since 9/11. How many guns exist in the total population per gun murder means absolutely nothing. You might as well have mentioned invisible elephants or Mogwai and it would have been just as valid.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 07:23 AM   #142
gturner
Admiral

The deaths per gun is relevant to the claim that murder rates are correlated, if not driven, by guns. If Canadians had the same prevelance of guns as the US, and the murder rate was a function of the number of guns, then the US would still have 11,000 gun deaths and Canada would have about 152. Conversely, we could reduce the number of US guns by a factor of eight for the same gun ownership rate as Venezuela, which is less than a fourth that of Switzerland and a third that of Sweden, yet Venezuela has 53 murders a day, which for the US would be 220,000 a year. An eighth as many guns per capita, 20 times as many murders per capita.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 10:44 AM   #143
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^ I had a pet ideology once. It ran away. I fed it talking points and everything.
I had a pet rock once that ran away. I was surprised, because it was sedimentary.
Old December 17 2012, 10:58 AM   #144
MacLeod
Admiral

A better comparrison is homicides using a gun per capita.

And whilst it is true that the US doesn't have the highest homicide (using a gun) rate per capitia in the world, it has the highest rate per capitia amongest the develeoped world.

So if we use one of the stats posted above about gun deaths. UK 8, US 10 728 now as the UK population is roughly a fifth of the US comparring them directly is meaningless you have to muliple or divide one by 5 to get a more accurate comparrison accounting for population. So that would be around 40 vs 10 728 when population is factored in.

The UK has very tight guns laws, the US doesn't. Conclusion tight gun laws lead to few homicides by guns.

As for other factors, the same video games/ movies etc.. are available in the UK as the US. Yet the homicide rate is no where near a fifth of the US homicide rate. So the effects of these would appear to be minimal.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 12:59 PM   #145
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

HoHoHocutus wrote: View Post
That quote purporting to be from Morgan Freeman is not, in fact, from Morgan Freeman. It's fake. Linky
Not cool. You don't piggyback off of the Supreme Narrator's golden voice to give yourself greater authority and notoriety. It just isn't done.
Huh? What did I do?
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; December 17 2012 at 06:07 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 01:44 PM   #146
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

People such as myself get a bit tired of hearing weak statistical excuses made for roughly 10,000 gun murders happening in this country each and every year. ”Well if the U.S. had the population of Britain or Belgium and there were just [insert random number] guns per person in the country and the Moon was in its Gibbous phase with the Comet Kohoutek traveling through the Constellation Lyra....”

Just stop it. By almost any metric the U.S. has one of the highest gun murder rates in the world and the worst in the advanced industrialized world. Every year we lose more people to pointless gun violence than we have in Afghanistan and Iraq *combined* since 9/11. Every year. All the numbers cooking and deft twisting of them to try to make them sound nowhere near as bad isn't going to change reality and we can't base our national gun crime policies on manipulating the numbers to protect the gun lobby's interests.

10,000 people a year is a statistic that's far more important than what the gun lobby wants and thinks and we as a society need to grow up and face what our culture has become over the years.

Old December 17 2012, 01:49 PM   #147
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

For the record that reply wasn't directed against posters like MacLeod but the gturners and others from other threads who've taken similar positions.

Old December 17 2012, 01:50 PM   #148
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

HoHoHocutus wrote: View Post
Hopefully he can even sue whoever made it up in his name to make people believe it was his quote.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17 2012, 03:17 PM   #149
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Here's a metric that I just made up that I think is relevant

Gun deaths per person who think that guns are a right bestowed by God.
Old December 17 2012, 04:22 PM   #150
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

Here's my argument for gun control - 20 children dead.

Go ahead, NRA slaves, make your argument.
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote